Tuesday, February 02, 2010

R.I.P., Geoff Lloyd / Dream of shredded rice / No fundraiser! / Diner personality

This thing just restarted! Oh sure, do it RIGHT when I'm going to check the transit times!

Matthew Good Band co-founder and former bassist Geoff Lloyd passed away this weekend. The cause of his death has not been publicly announced, though a Facebook posting states he had been "fighting his inner demons for a number of years, and they finally got the better of him."

Lloyd served as bassist for the Vancouver, BC-based Matthew Good Band from 1995 to 1999, during which the band released both their debut, Last of the Ghetto Astronauts, and their hit follow-up, Underdogs. In more recent years, he fronted his own band, the Slipjacks, and was instrumental in re-opening the now-defunct Vancouver punk venue the Cobalt in 2006.

Matthew Good posted his own tribute on his website yesterday (January 31). Here it is in full:

I really don't know what to say right now. Having just found out that Geoff has passed, I'm still in a state of shock.

Geoff was one of the founding members of the Matthew Good Band, and, as far as I'm concerned, it was never quite the same without him.

I remember a lot of things when I think of Geoff. Like me, he suffered from extreme mood swings and depression, something that he struggled with throughout his life. But, to be honest, most of the time, I just remember how funny and utterly selfless he was. There are a million stories, a million memories, and threading them together, thousands of miles travelled. I wouldn't change any of it for the world, and am honoured to have not only played with him, but to have had him be a part of my life.

On behalf of my entire family, I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to Geoff's wife and the Lloyd family.


For those of you in Vancouver, a fundraiser for Geoff's widow is being held Sunday, February 7, 2010 at The Astoria.

I had a weird dream that involved shredded chicken, my mom's shredded rice, wanting to hold hands with someone, having that someone spontaneously hold my hand, and going to colorful stalls. Not sure I want to know, haha.

YAY! I just remembered that I probably CAN'T help out with the Fellowship fundraiser ANYWAY! I have Awana on Saturday afternoons, and have to teach toddler Sunday School on Sunday mornings! Of course, I refuse to skip service to help out with the thing. I don't even care if Eric calls me out on it in the weeks to come, because "having fairly busy weekends" (which I said in the email to everyone - NO REGRETS!) IS a good excuse for me. I'm not even going to buy noodles and such from there on the day of the fundraiser, unless it's bought for me. Jen just sent the Fellowship an email referring to everyone as "brothers and sisters" - while this has Biblical basis and isn't nearly as bad as Karen Choo's emails back in the day ("inner beauty - BRING IT! ARE YOU HOT ENOUGH!"), I would rather NOT be reminded of this. Yeah, I'm in one of THOSE moods!




You Are French Toast



You are a bit of a rule breaker and a rebel. You always do things your own way.

You're the type of person to order breakfast for dinner - and dinner for breakfast!



You have a quirky twist on everything you do. You are very creative and original.

You get a kick out of trying out new restaurants, and old-school diners are at the top of your list.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home