Saturday, January 09, 2010

Textbooks, word searches, echinacea, India, new Facebook friends, and inventions

Alana, Billie, and I got up around 2 - not a surprise since we went to bed at 4:30 AM after having pizza and discussing various subjects. I saw Tara cleaning, and said hi. Billie and I exchanged my word search books for Philosophy: The Quest for Truth (7th Edition) [Louis Pojman, Lewis Vaughn] / Canadian Writer's Workplace (Canadian Sixth Edition; includes 2009 MLA update card) [Gary Lipschutz, John Roberts, Sandra Scarry, and John Scarry] / The Psychology of Women (Sixth Edition) [Margaret Matlin] - not bad for an initial $20 outlay (at most), since I got at least $200 worth of books for free! I guess I'm a nerd, but I like it! There was a book about politics / power / government, but I'm not really into that stuff... besides, we were both concerned that my bag would be too heavy!

I left soon after discussing coffee and Pepsi / Honesty Boxes with Alana, and managed to catch all my buses on time. There was a time that I thought I'd taken the wrong Skytrain at Braid Station, but I was on the right one. Went to Superstore since I had a little time, and bought echinacea as an impulse buy since I'd had it at Billie's - I couldn't wait two days to have it cheaper from the next-door pharmacy, with this cold! I also bought two cans of No-Name rich and chunky chicken noodle soup, Ricola cough drops (green tea with echinacea), 12 granola bars (my thinking was I'd eat one or two if I got hungry during Awana because I hadn't eaten since 4 AM), and 90 metres of No-Name plastic wrap. Would have bought birthday cards for Grandma / Chantal / Corey too, but didn't want to waste more time just looking at the available selection!

Went to Awana, where I guess I was technically late, but it was okay since Auntie Vivian was nowhere to be seen. (she came in a few minutes after I had settled down and waved hi to Golden) Saw Sophia, Olivia, and Anne - yay! Was surprised to see my parents' friend Alan there, helping with the older kids. (I guess I'll talk to him later about that...) Joey was there too, and I learned he was subbing for Martin, who's in Hong Kong for a month. Chrystal said something to me about the Awana points, so I guess we ARE taking new things into 2010 and beyond if it works out. After Sparks Handbook Time, Sean and Thomas ran into the room and just PLOPPED on the concrete floor - I didn't know Handbook Time was THAT exhausting, haha. Melia gave me some blank index cards, which disappeared into my capacious Aldo bag.

Ada saw me and wished me a Happy New Year: she goes to India on Thursday for two weeks on a work-related trip, so John will be taking the boys. Sounds fine to me! Talked to Eric afterwards about Facebook - he says he told his little brother Matthew not to get an account. (Eric's 11, and his brother is probably nine) I warned Matthew that I'd be keeping an eye on him, haha. Auntie Rebecca wanted to know why I wasn't "at fellowship," so I thought she meant MissionsFest. Turns out she meant the Awana get-together, which I totally forgot about, what with getting sick / Billie's party. She offered me a plate of leftovers, so I took one from the kitchen; it was the only one with veggies on it, but it also had sweet and sour pork - I don't think I should eat it right now, but I did have cake and Jello last night...

John drove me home, and wondered why I had a lot of stuff. I told him that I'd been at a friend's house, and asked where Sean had been. Apparently, he was tired and wanted to sleep. He also learned a new excuse: "I have a headache!" Of course, his dad didn't think that was true - do kids who are six GET headaches?! (possibly) Got home to find that Alana, Patrick, Patricia, and Sean had added me to Facebook - cool! Called Diven to ask if he could give me a ride to church, citing an "odd" (to him) reason - luckily, he could be my rescue again. NICE!

Went out again to London Drugs to see if I could find a "step-on-me" garbage can - they used to have them, but not anymore. They did have a "sensor" garbage can which can tell if your hand is near the lid, but $100 is way too expensive for a wastebasket! Got a bigger storage container than the ones my mom gave me, rationalizing it as a one-time useful purchase. Also got the aforementioned birthday cards, but didn't get Minute Rice despite seeing it on sale again. (Hien would like that, haha) But now that I'm running out of Nin Jiom, I'll probably go there again tomorrow and get those things.




You Are Hip



You are definitely not a hipster, but you are often on the cutting edge of trends.

You are proud of your taste. You like what you like, and you never try to show off how obscure or ironic you are.



You are into good food, good music, and good fashion. You are well known for your discoveries.

You don't mind if the things you love eventually become mainstream. You may be hip, but you don't have a complex about it!

Trivia fact for Saturday, Jan. 9: What did French mathematician Blaise Pascal invent in 1655 while unsuccessfully attempting to create a perpetual motion machine? The roulette wheel.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home