Monday, October 26, 2009

Saffron, Danielle, Mr. Creep, roasted root vegetables, Holly, Peter, and 2-0 Canucks wins

Eric and Connie came over soon after that last post, and I helped with various items like stirring the red rice / saffron / onions / garlic. Connie had brought apple juice for apple cider, which was cool. Jon wondered whether we shouldn't invite Danielle or whoever else lived around the area... so I called her on their behalf since they were busy with various things. She called back later to say she couldn't make it - she can't make it to tomorrow's dinner with Chantal either, since she has to give a talk. Jon said we could invite Edwin, but Harmony said that could be awkward because of Alan and Tracy possibly coming later - they didn't show since they were busy with work / studying. (I personally don't know why, but whatever) I checked my email to find one from Cindy about a small group outing this Friday, which consists of playing games at the church. If that is anything like last Friday's gong show, I won't go, and I plan on explaining why. (I bet Eric will email me back personally, too...) If it weren't for Mr. Creep, I would probably go. There is no way I am setting myself up for that, even if Eric claims he didn't know that Creep would be there despite his joking comment to me at Pho.

Had red rice, chicken with various spices on it, and roasted root vegetables - pretty healthy! While watching the Yankees-Angels baseball game and the Canucks-Oilers game, we discussed various things: BEER / PUMPKIN ALE / BEING RED, women's group, reminiscing about the twice-burned beef stew at Jeremy's / the REALLY SALTY VEGETABLES at the same locale (that could actually have been the same night - only Ray really liked those!), SPINAL TAP, BORAT / BRUNO / Vivian S., Holly and Peter and the dog Varley, (decaf) tea, my grandma cooking my mother's cat, old dog / young cat, caffeine, next week's Sunday Dinner, sports analysis / the play going on, bloopers / errors, and more. The Yankees won 5-2, and the Canucks won 2-0... Roberto Luongo is now the new Canucks shutout king, surpassing Kirk McLean! It was good to spend time with friends, and the place got a BIT more crowded after Holly, Peter, and Varley showed up. They had to pick up some stuff from the house, so we discussed work / types of massages / politics / corn / mystery shopping (so many rules and too much work!) / pet tricks / iRobot vacuum stuff. Holly wondered if I needed a ride home, but it was fine - besides, I didn't want them to see my uncertainty on the steps! (yes, I had to hold on to Eric's arm AGAIN on the way out...)

We were kinda too full for macaroons, mandarin oranges, rhubarb pie, and ice cream for dessert, but we managed. Talked about Connie's niece and nephew, and their projected reactions to their impending baby sibling - Megan wants a sister, while Connor is really clingy and likes Mom best. (also briefly discussed Kenny and Winnie and the mentor "mental" group) I contributed that Anita was expecting, and Connie said that both sisters were pregnant then - I didn't know that Esther and Wes were having a baby too! We clarified who people were, for Harmony's benefit. Connie said that Karen Chan and Jason Y. were actually getting married next October - wow, that's a blast from the past! I wondered when they'd gotten back together, myself. Then we touched on Nancy (Jason's sister) and Joe (the world #1 origami person!), Tracey (Jason's other sister), and Karen Choo / Dylan's arguments and such.

Jon remembered Pastor Edward's announcement the week after a Committee Meeting had started at 7 or 7:30, and ended at midnight or so after the church alarm had been set off. Oh yes, let's limit church meetings to end at 10 or 10:30, since that makes sense! Poor Eric was kinda stuck in the middle since he had to work the next day, but instead had to listen to Karen and Dylan bicker about the wording of something or other. I said that Steph got frustrated with Karen Choo's "planning" emails, since things apparently needed to be planned right down to the minute! Connie said that sounded like Karen's Type A personality coming through - oh yes, quite so! I had also listened to Karen and Dylan verbally duke it out during Bible Study - oh my.

On the way home, I figured that I could at least keep the blank paper here at my place and only take a relative few sheets each week. That way, I don't have to carry around 500 sheets every time... that DOES get heavy! (or I *could* tape / write signs all over the package itself, and gamble on leaving it in the room...) I spent the rest of the time ranting about Mr. Creep - what else is new these days?! Updated Eric on what Christon, Jon, Danielle, Grace, and I talked about after the meeting. Eric said that Creep had discussed his previous experience at the university fellowship in another church (on Friday), and he said that he'd felt offended! Well, that's GOOD then! While I can sympathize, I also think that maybe he should have taken that hint and maybe not tried to fit in so hard this time around. Honestly, WHY WOULD HE ATTEND THE MEMBERSHIP MEETING THIS AFTERNOON?! It's not like he could possibly count THAT as hanging out with people.... well, I hope not, anyway. Generally, I don't have a problem with being welcoming to newcomers OR with non-members attending membership meetings (they want to know what's up and such), but this case just strikes me as very odd! Maybe Lesley and I should get together and discuss our respective feelings about Mr. Creep, hahaha.

Later, I wondered whether Mr. Creep had an email address. Eric said that he'd received an email address from Creep on Friday, and half-joked that I wanted it to correspond with him. Definitely NOT! I just wanted to know whether he'd be put on the email list so I can prevent a repeat of this past Friday night. I'm going to reiterate my feelings of being at least somewhat UNCOMFORTABLE, and ask Pastor John to do something, maybe even before the next Committee meeting. He's more laid back than I am, and apparently Creep has been talking to him. Christon said that part of the problem is that we have no fellowship group for people age 40-60 or so. I know I'll hopefully get up there in age sometime too, so I'm NOT discriminating based on age or race or anything like that. I have NO PROBLEM with people of other races in our Chinese church, or with people who are older than I am. That would actually limit my interactions by... a lot, really. Eric wondered whether Creep would try sitting next to me again - I bloody well hope NOT!

When Eric dropped me off, I emphasized that I'd see him on Sunday, and NOT Friday. He wondered why, and I reminded him of the email that Cindy had sent out. (I'd told him a synopsis earlier) Then he tried saying that he'd talk to Pastor John sometime during the week, and see if anything changed. Normally, this would be okay. Maybe I'll call Pastor John at church on Wednesday (maybe even tomorrow - he's off on Tuesdays) and see what he has to say. He'll probably thank me for bringing up my concerns, as is usual. But now it's more personal - it's not necessarily about the kids, but about ME. Creep doesn't really have to do ANYTHING, and I'm already all "paranoid" and such! I wouldn't really give him the time of day if I met him in a non-church context. I know that it perhaps makes me a bad Christian, but it's how I feel. If anything, people are being TOO welcoming. I have it right, even if I'm not going about it in a great way. Maybe Lesley is trying to figure out what is so odd about this guy, and talking to him is her way of dealing with it. I've also sent an email out to the small group, as well... got various responses, too.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home