Sunday, September 21, 2008

"There have been some miracles - the construction got delayed!"

Jon picked me up, and Grandma mentioned something about my birthday: "You're a year older, so be good and get married quickly!" Haha! I need some money for my Thanksgiving banquet ticket, if I can get Christon to confirm that I'm buying a ticket in a table of ten! (he asked before I confirmed anything with my brother later) Grandma discussed chicken, Auntie Mabel, Sun Sui Wah, Uncle Andrew, and other stuff with us. Told Karmie, Raymond, and Jeremy how Wednesday night had gone - Jer wondered if the group of 20 had any prior reservation! I have NO idea, but the place WAS kinda small... thank goodness for Eric's resourcefulness! Raymond mentioned looking at the decor in my pictures, and thinking that it wasn't BROWN'S - nope! Said hi to the kids, who are definitely getting older now.

Pastor Edward had an announcement about the church building: "There have been some miracles... the construction has been delayed because various groups forgot to / didn't show up!" That was Jeremy's favorite part of it by FAR, but the part about there potentially being no pews (but VERY NICE CHAIRS) on the 12th made everyone laugh too! (carpet issues...) Interesting sermon from a Calgary guest speaker about family and honor - hmm! Sheena and Vania think it would be perfect if there were a Tim Horton's next door to the new church - we don't think there are many amenities other than Superstore / a sushi place / a liquor store around the new location, unfortunately!

Went to the back parking lot: after enough social time, Eric asked if I didn't have kids to spoil! Haha, of course I do, and he knows it. Sheena gave me a purple toque: she figured I like hats, and I didn't have a purple one. Very much appreciated, since I don't have MANY of them! Cindy gave me a handmade belated birthday card signed by both her and Dianne, and a Starbucks gift card. (Dylan would LOVE it, haha) Calla, Grace, Stanford, Jeremy, Dylan, and Johnny were discussing canker sores at one point: don't know that rubbing salt into the wound OR cauterizing it with an open flame would help much, although it IS funny to contemplate! (stay AWAY from the acidic citrus fruits / tomatoes / coffee!) Chrystal isn't teaching Sunday School this year, she told me. Auntie Catherine wished me a happy belated birthday, and wants to get together with me next Saturday - good thing Awana doesn't start till the 18th! (yup, my sister gets back for the weekend pretty soon!)

Found that Auntie Fonda was sick, so went to the baby room and let Brandon, Terence, and Arthur play - saw Jennifer and her son Amos for the first time in like a year or so. Her older son Rick likes Willingdon since he gets to be with his friends, which is understandable! Reminds me of the time when I actually DID help with the babies back in 2002 to 2004 or so. (Ian, Sean, Charissa, Irene, Wilson, Clara, Carrie, Ryan, Ethan, Rosanna, etc.) Whenever she referred to Arthur, it sounded like she was saying "Alpha," heh. Afterwards, Julie C. asked me how I'd found her on Facebook - through photo comments! Said hi to Ian and Sean, and Ian told me that he was in Grade 2, but his brother was only in kindergarten. Oh, he'll grow up for sure! Asked Sean why his fingers were all wet - Ian told me that he'd been eating plums. Said hi to their parents too, and also to Hien / Auntie Ping a bit later.

Went outside, where Sonny looked really bored just standing around waiting for Tony (who's using his opportunity to worship through physical labor as in MOVING / PACKING), so I talked to him for a few minutes about school and making friends. Waved hi to Phil, quasi-confirmed stuff with Christon, said hi to Bob / Heyman / Johnny, laughed at part of a conversation between Jon / Jeremy / Nathan / Eric ("let's kneel before the new sound system at church to ensure it doesn't give us any problems!"), discussed my Facebook pictures / Wordscraper / Frog Hollow with Raymond and Kevin, and went into the church when everyone else had gone. From there, it was off to lunch at Mui's with Auntie Anna and Uncle Cho Kai - I can't believe she'll be 70 in a few years! Guess my parents are getting older, too!

They discussed family, baby Bryony, Mimosa / Tilia / Ficus, my knowledge of Chinese, good answers to maternal probing concerning marriage ("Are you rushing me out of here?!"), "I'll let HIM take care of the kid if I ever get pregnant!" dynamic, God's Faithful Singers, my "good" choir solos, etc. I've always wanted to ask why Auntie Anna and her sister have similar / rhyming English names (Hannah and Anna?!), but can't think of a nice way to phrase it! Even years ago, I knew that this wasn't something you'd do to a sibset! (even if they ARE just English names chosen when coming to Canada, and not Chinese ones...)

After that, we went to the church building site - met a lot of people there on a tour. Still looks like a construction zone, with two weeks left to go! (saw the kitchen, library, fellowship hall, crying room, classrooms, offices, and other spaces) At least the sanctuary seems to have good acoustics, and everyone was discussing the logistics of things! Eric says he replied to my message about the computer restarting a lot, but I didn't get it BECAUSE the machine restarted! Got to return my library books later, so that was also a good thing. Right now, I'm trying to explain the drink yin-yang to Corey... it's not the energy balance in a drinking context, for sure!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home