Sunday, February 03, 2008

Golden flowers, golden melons, and body liquids!

On the way to church today, the family mainly discussed cops and burnout - maybe comparable to pastors and teachers, depending on their circumstances! At least truthfulness is a good idea, heh. Also discussed the Deward Ponte stabbing last week at the park (like the kid at Tupper last year - Filipino!), and what had happened to Stanley's mom... she'd BROKEN her ankle, and not just twisted it! I just thought about doing more stuff for others / examining my reasons for doing so, which actually turned out to be in line with the Lent-related portion of the sermon featuring Ash Wednesday coinciding with Chinese New Year Eve. Waved to Chris, Sabrina, and others on our way into church. Natalie said that Rich had promised them candy yesterday - hope she, Hannah, and Priscilla aren't TOO hyper then! Raymond thought it would be hard to give up Facebook for Lent - too true... might be easier if you gave up MSN or something similar! (but maybe not if you're a teen!) Talked to him and Martin about moving furniture / sushi / birthday meals / hectic days / contemplation. Andrea said hi, and remarked that she'd heard she missed Korey on Friday - true, but there's always next time! Talked to Jeremy for a bit - watching some fighting with Fred yesterday was interesting, he said. We had to move for a couple of cars that were attempting to park, so he just waved to me when he departed for Sunday School. Good enough, I say!

Saw Brian, said hi to Kevin, and admired baby Allison - at least her first and middle names are spelled the way you'd expect them to be! (creative spellings - NO!) Jeff had two bags under each eye, and Anita caught Steph sticking her tongue out at the baby. But my sister said that the baby started it - sure, just teach the kids these things when they're two months old, haha! (she opened her eyes too - and she'll emit cries when noises startle her, like the drums) Said hi to Mike T. and Emily, while Mike K. had a Ziploc bag of mini Kit Kat bars - when he said he hated those, I asked why he had them. Apparently, it was all Melia's fault - I got a Snickers mini bar from Ivan before I went off to Sunday School myself. Terence and Brandon were back, and it was good to see them! Auntie Tracy is now helping with Sean in Michelle's class - I felt a small stab of jealousy, but she can be more gentle than I am! (maybe that's what he needs!) Talked to Auntie Fonda for a bit... she liked my coffee-colored toque!

Afterwards, I went outside - I talked to Jonathan Chan for a bit about his blood sugar low. He was full from having hot chocolate and candy during Sunday School, but even he knows it's not a meal. Mom noticed David, Bowen, and Jonathan C. Chan on the steps - she asked about David, since she thought he looked like his sisters Quan or Hien. (he denied it) Turns out she was talking about Bowen (I thought she knew who David was - reasonable!), which I only found out after she asked about "the boy in the blue and yellow jacket." She assumed I knew that she was talking about Bowen - no, I can't read your mind! Then she coughed on me - you're still contagious, woman! I'd better not get sick because of that... she thinks that I would LIKE it! Um, no. o_O (I told her that there were little kids around - Terence and Brandon were a foot away - did she want THEM to get sick as well?! My sister tells me that I'm paranoid / melodramatic, but I got sick for ten days from Sean coughing in the back of his mom's three-row van! Fresh air / rest / fluids / oranges, ahoy!)

Went to Mui's for lunch with Karen and her parents - Viv's all set up in China, thank goodness. Yelled at my mom on the way there because she brought up the past in the context of my having a criminal record (which I don't!) / said stuff about money and being beholden to people, then later felt bad and tried to apologize - she dismissed it with a "Meh... hmph!" attitude, which I found slightly disconcerting. (yay for my PMS and hormones! :P) I know she's concerned about Steph's RCMP application, but what I did (minor offenses) has no bearing on her status! Discussed smoking pot, fighting for the bill, the moms pointing fingers at one another, personality complements, empty chairs (tag it as Viv!), passport photos, dark chocolate mint candy canes, questions, Chinese New Year, and other things. I had the thought that I was glad I don't do much since I'd hate for people to ask me a zillion questions at once! Went to the Laughing Bean to retrieve Jon before we went back to church... paid Eric back just after the meeting started, yay!

My sibs signed a bunch of January to March birthday cards: sister said "as if we'd sign COREY'S card!" and Jon thought she meant my boyfriend, so did a somewhat falsetto imitation of what would be written there: "Hi, Love..." Ha ha ha - no, you signed his birthday card back in December! Now I have to find time to sign them myself! Signed Vania's card when she was sitting right by me, and Steph had to sign Dylan's card when he was sitting behind her - she later caught him sleeping (totally nodded off), haha. (Steph saw her own birthday card - yeah, it's in the pile... just give it to me since I don't expect you to sign it!) I shared a bunch of fruit snacks with Sam, Steph, Mike, Jon, Dianne, Cindy, Vania, Nathan, and Vanessa - Joey already had his own pack, and Eric can't eat them. Perused the Annual Report, and had to point out one passage to Vania / Jon / Nathan: "Thanks to Gail, our four golden flowers, and our four golden melons for helping out!" Haha, reminds me of the 2006 Annual Report where Auntie Fonda and Auntie Temmy (along with two other aunties) were described as "four singing golden flowers."

We found that a water fountain on the second floor of the new church building was a city requirement (I think), and then cracked up when Uncle Patrick had trouble translating Katherine's "don't seal your offering envelopes" directive! Eventually, they settled on "body liquids," which made us crack up even more! ("yeah, I'll get my body liquids from HERE... on second thought, that might be gross!" "... you THINK?!") Uncle Patrick said to put your middle names on there too - he'd won a figure skating championship in Toronto, apparently! (yay, Google! :P) People admired Citrus' new Pamphlet computer gadget, and drew stuff on there for amusement. After the meeting, I talked to Karen I. about Chinese New Year / Ash Wednesday / fasting / her work schedule / weekends / getting together with people. Drove Pastor John home - talked about Josiah seeing himself in one of the Richmond papers, Mats Sundin, Red Wings, Canucks, country music, weird music, CDs / the radio / MP3s, reffing, money, skating, dinners, and other stuff. At home, I washed the breakfast dishes at my mom's request - good thing Grandma got her complaining about the unwashed stuff out of her system (she mentioned it TWICE) before the parents arrived! She took some vitamins, too - that's good! Caught up on my email backlog, which was a very good thing! Now we're watching the Super Bowl before leaving again!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home