Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Dan is on Facebook?! / Mozart Effect

Dan Driol added me as a friend on Facebook - I remember that one Acting class we had where we had to construct papier-mâché masks. Very interesting, and another blast from the past!


I got both the "Mozart Effect" thing and the 36-question friend survey from the latest posts page:

Beyond the Mozart effect

A recent report says that the popular "Mozart Effect" is another charming urban legend. The bad news for the hip urban professionals: Playing Mozart for your designer baby will not improve his IQ or help her get into that exclusive preschool. Of course, we're all better off for listening to Mozart purely for the pleasure of it. However, one wonders whether, if playing Mozart sonatas for little Tiffany and Jayson could boost their intelligence, what would happen if other composers' music were played during the kiddies' developmental time?

LISZT EFFECT: Child speaks rapidly and extravagantly, but never really says anything important. [also called the ROSSINI EFFECT.]

BRUCKNER EFFECT: Child speaks very slowly and repeats himself frequently. Gains reputation for profundity.

WAGNER EFFECT: Child becomes a megalomaniac. May eventually marry his sister.

MAHLER EFFECT: Child continually screams - at great length and volume - that he's dying.

SCHOENBERG EFFECT: Child never repeats a word until he's used all the other words in his vocabulary. Sometimes talks backwards. Eventually, people stop listening to him. Child blames them for their inability to understand him.

IVES EFFECT: The child develops a remarkable ability to carry on several separate conversations at once.

GLASS EFFECT: The child tends to repeat himself over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

STRAVINSKY EFFECT: The child is prone to savage, guttural, and profane outbursts that often lead to fighting and pandemonium in the preschool.

BRAHMS EFFECT: The child is able to speak beautifully as long as his sentences contain a multiple of three words (3, 6, 9, 12, etc.). However, his sentences containing 4 or 8 words are strangely uninspired.

CAGE EFFECT: Child says nothing for 4 minutes, 33 seconds. (preferred by 9 out of 10 classroom teachers)


Friend survey

1. Are you currently in a serious relationship? Yes.

2. What was your dream / goal growing up? To be a teacher.

3. What talent do you wish you had, or had developed? Musical stuff!

4. If I offered to buy you a drink, what would you order? Hmm. I don't know. Maybe a Long Island Iced Tea - never had those before!

5. Favorite vegetable (not fruit)? Bok choy.

6. What was the last book you read? What did you think of it? Five Sisters: The Langhornes of Virginia - I love biographies. This one was well-written, and I ended up learning a lot. (It was an impulse buy from the last library book sale I went to!)

7. What zodiac sign are you? Virgo, or Fire Dragon.

8. Any tattoos and / or piercings? Explain where. None.

9. Worst habit or character flaw? Right now, doubt and anger.

10. If you saw me walking down the street, would you offer me a ride? I would if I knew how to drive.

11. What is your favorite sport? I don't play sports... but I do like watching hockey.

12. Do you have a negative or optimistic attitude? (Be honest.) Optimistic, most of the time. Except when it comes to this one thing... :P

13. What would you do if you were stuck in an elevator with me? Talk for a bit, and then bond.

14. What are your hobbies? Reading, blogging, writing...

15. Tell me one weird fact about you. I've never had the chicken pox. Is that weird enough?

16. Do you have any pets? Nope.

17. What would your reaction be if I showed up at your house unexpectedly? Depends whether you'd interrupt my routine. Most likely, I'd invite you in!

18. What was your first impression of me? You were understanding of my situation at the time. :D

19. What do you think of clowns? They're all right.

20. If you could change one thing about how you look, what would it be? Be thinner and not have these noticeable physical imperfections.

21. Would you be my crime partner or my conscience? Depends on my mood and what you wanted to do!

22. What color eyes do you have? Brown.

23. Ever been arrested? Nope!

24. Bottle or can of pop (or beer)? Bottles, since they usually hold more.

25. If you won $10,000 today, what would you do with it? Save it in the bank, although I'd probably spend some on books and such.

26. What is your most treasured possession? The 25th Birthday Scrapbook!

27. What's your favorite place to hang out? Nathan's basement!

28. Do you believe in ghosts (and the supernatural)? Not really...

29. Favorite thing to do in your spare time? Read, or waste Internet time.

30. Do you swear a lot? I shouldn't, but sometimes I do.

31. What's one of your pet peeves? Bad spelling and grammar.

32. In one word, how would you describe yourself? Quirky.

33. Do you believe in / appreciate romance? I guess so...

34. What is your current favorite song? Matthew Good, In A World Called Catastrophe.

35. What are your religious beliefs? Evangelical Christian.

36. Will you repost this so I can fill it out and do the same for you?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home