Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Another grandma death... I hope these don't come in threes!

After that last entry, I pretty much jumped right into the shower. Right when I finished, I heard the phone ring twice. It was Eric, but he was hanging up at the time I answered. So I called him back - I was slightly surprised to hear that he was at the front door! I buzzed him in and made him wait at the apartment door while I quickly got dressed. Then I got my stuff while he looked to see what kind of craziness I'd been up to on the computer - of course he thought the "pink soap - RUB ME ON YOUR BUTT!" icon was inappropriate, haha. We discussed Scrabble, sleet / rain, laughter, license plates ("LATE NIGHT"), cheesecake (what I should TOTALLY bring to the next Sunday Dinner), liquids, Pho takeout (no soup dishes even though we COULD do it like Maxine has... it's awkward!), hockey (Roberto Luongo hurt?!), his wonky radio, and other things on our way to church. At Pho, I misheard what he wanted to order, but we caught the kitchen just in time - 32 (duck egg noodle soup) is not 42 (lemongrass chicken dish), and that's why ordering by number is bad!

The committee talked about people we've never met, McDonalds, technically renting the chairs we were sitting on (maybe?), Wendy's mandarin chicken salad / Oriental salad, long 16-hour days, and other things. It was an interesting meeting, and I sent out email promptly when I got home. On the way home, Eric asked what I was doing for Korey's birthday. I mentioned that he wanted me to come for his birthday, but I knew Eric was doing that and I didn't want to horn in on the guys' tradition. He was like "Why don't you just come with me then? What time does Awana end? Just don't get a ride, and we can be there on time!" Hahaha. I told him that it looked like I wouldn't - Ada's taking care of other kids, Michelle has to work, and Henry has been absent lately. Eric asked if I had murdered him... why would I want to?

We also talked a bit about Phil and Melia's grandma dying - I'd heard about it via Eunice's Facebook wall post to Melia earlier today, actually. As Eric said, it's still sad even if they knew it was coming for a long time. (I don't think she'd have liked the idea of a photo last time I was there!) We also touched on Justin's grandma dying recently, too. He also threatened to drop me off at the usual intersection even though it was raining, and tried to mockingly push me out of the car. I don't THINK so! Discussed fingernail shaping (little V-like points into teeth!), a mace, battle readiness, "awake and not hibernating," WARCRAFT 3: REIGN OF CHAOS, and my supposedly needing an exorcism because I had acted like I was under possession of a demon twice during the car ride home. That's just my being weird, and you know it! Told him not to crash on the way home, while delivering a mock-punch: yes, he MIGHT be dead if he does!

Got home and called Melia to let her know that I might not have a ride. Emailing / calling Henry would be a good idea, and then she'll contact me in some way - sweet! Also talked to Uncle Peter for a bit since he answered the phone: he says Grandma went to be with the Lord on Sunday, and went peacefully. The "peaceful" bit is a good thing, then. I will never take her off my Facebook list! Both Melia and Uncle Peter thanked me for calling - hey, it's what I do! It's true that I always asked how she was doing, and now I won't have that anymore. Guess it's part of life, and we all knew it was coming - never mind the "quality of life" pronouncement my mom made recently. Her quality of life for the past years might not have been much by our standards, but we know that Grandma was loved. :)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home