Saturday, November 10, 2007

Sanitizing nursery toys isn't permanent!

Lesson learned at least a month ago, and reinforced this morning on our way out: DO NOT KEEP THE MILK IF IT STARTS TO FERMENT IN THE FRIDGE! Eric said that the chocolate milk looked like apple juice - believe me, I knew that full well. It wasn't like that BEFORE, and I swear the fridge used to work better previously too! Why the heck does milk go bad in my fridge now? It didn't do this before - and no, it's not gone bad past an expiry date or anything. I wish it would STOP! I used to be able to keep it in there just fine, now it seems like it goes bad long before I use it or it expires. Lame! Talia says I should get a thermometer to test it, and Corey says I should adjust the settings and just move out because of the crappy management. Maybe I should ask my friends about it later on, heh.

Eric and I talked about self-discipline and health on the way to church: you certainly shouldn't stay up late when you're sick or just recovering! We'd gone to bed in fairly short order after going home last night, which is a good thing. He was trying to get people to PASS him, but that met with little success. I noticed that the gas prices were six cents higher than they were yesterday night, so it's a good thing he went to get gas last night after Fellowship! Got to church to find the Benjamin kids praying, so we went through the sanctuary to get to the basement. There were a lot of cars around, so we had to park on Garden again - the choir has their practice then, of course. Oh well, walking there isn't so bad - I insisted that his banana peel had to be thrown in the garbage even if Jeremy wouldn't like the car smelling like it! Eric was calling me the Banana Peel Holder, and took it from me before I went to wash my hands - yay for not assaulting his olfactory nerves with Purell like I did last night, haha!

Went downstairs to find most of our group there already - Chuck called Jeremy, only to find out that he'd forgotten. (this after I'd talked to him about it yesterday just before he left, but it's the long weekend so he's given a pass!) When Jeremy DID get there, I laughed when I asked cheerfully if he'd forgotten - he knows I don't mean it maliciously! He'd better find new people SOON for his store! Chuck and Andrea went to a dollar store to get a bucket and some cleaning cloth things which actually smelled like mothballs. There were sandwiches in the kitchen, but we were mainly concerned with Jeremy's Oxy-San solution - that turned blue after a while since we were using these bed liners in some box to dry toys and sanitize stuffed animals! The first batch had a layer of dust on it, and definitely wouldn't sanitize anything - too many microbes, Jeremy said. Chuck said that he was working near where I lived now - hey, it's right across the street from the emergency room so he should drop by sometime! (although he's delivering babies)

Dylan and Calla (along with everyone else) found the high chair liners quite disgusting and smelly - Cindy said that not many people used those, in her experience. However, she did see a kid climbing up the wall to shelves - NOT GOOD. There were boxes, crayons, paper, games, tools, broken toys (including a piano and cracked things), and other things that should not be in the nursery - Maxine says it's used as storage! We got soapy solution in a big bin, and tried cleaning stuff. (Eric: "If you touch my shoe with your latex glove in an attempt to untie it, it'll become dirty!" Mine developed a hole afterwards, and was definitely yellow / grimy!) At some point, I saw my sister in the kitchen - I waved to her, and she had to blow me a kiss while showing me her BC Lions Slurpee cup... she couldn't resist getting it! Chuck thought it was amusing that she called me by a family nickname (diminutive), and later tried calling me that himself - I don't think that'll fly, even if you ARE a goofball! Haha. Cindy said she was glad I was there since some of the toys obviously belonged in the toddler room - I put stuff back there a few times, once interrupting Margaret's Bible Study group. (later, I interrupted a bored Louisa / Priscilla / Hannah)

Jeremy and Chuck experienced their own kind of nostalgia with the toys, particularly the "pop-pop" car with balls in front of it. (the kids can sit on it and go around the room) Apparently, Jeremy's mom had just seen him whiz down the stairs with one of them when he was small - yikes! The toys kinda looked better when we were done, but we knew it was a stopgap measure at best - we were worried about water getting inside certain things, which results in mold if not cleaned properly! I had 3/4 of an orange while we decided where to go for lunch - thank goodness I aired concerns with Eric, and I'll owe him instead. We went to Commercial Drive (Cindy having given me her sandwiches - "dinner," said Eric) and looked around, finally settling on Mekong Exotic Vietnamese Food. Stormin' Norman's (wild meat!) has been replaced by a Vera's Burger Shack - at least I was there ONCE! Saw J.J. Bean's, Café Deux Soleils, and other places - so many memories! Discussed shady Pho, tandoori, smelling like sizzling plates (SHOWER!), oils, Vanessa's birthday dinner, saving money (I discussed this with Grace yesterday, too!), car powered by farts, crazy engineers, spicy stuff, Coke Zero, methane, athletic villages, Melia and Emily's birthdays, Eric still being sick, Korey getting mixed up with Jeremy in Andrea's mind, Committee duty, and more. Good times! I definitely need to find my notebook and such, too!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home