Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The bus stops can CHANGE, Grandma... aiyoh!

The bus was late, but I still managed to meet my grandma, as impatient as she was to get into the bank and start counting her money / viewing the contents of her safe-deposit box. Mom just wanted her to wait, which she complained about afterwards. If they hadn't waited, I would have had no idea where they were! She's also stingy, but that's because she probably calculated the cost of Chinese lunch / mango bubble tea at Flaming Wok (good stuff, if a bit thick) / strawberries and nugget potatoes at Richmond Farm Market. Heck, she even balked at paying a quarter for hot water at Flaming Wok - uh, they have to buy the cups somehow? I had to go to A&W to get some, which was free! While I was at the mall, I finally got my glasses straightened at Eyeworks - if K wants to try them on again, they'll be less crooked and a bit cleaner too! Haha, I thought of calling Eric in to take a picture, but there will be other times for that! (K wanted us to go to the photo booth at the bus depot, but we had the luggage to watch...)

Grandma asked whether my "friend" was in Calgary: no, he's in Kamloops. Then she asked whether he'd bought me any presents: not as such if you discount meals / cabs, but he was briefly entertaining the idea of winning me a stuffed animal from the game machine at Denny's! (I didn't tell her that since I lack the Chinese skills for it) Denny's isn't ghetto, despite my brother's taste - if you want ghetto, I can recall a trip to the Vector offices of Cutco knives! Thanks, Erin! After the "no" answer, she commented about how he should have paid for his portion of lunch on Sunday because my parents were obviously treating gwei jie. (Eric) I've learned to ignore such comments since she just wants to have something to say. A bit later, she referred to K as my boyfriend for the first time (possibly because she'd been talking about how Harmony phones Jon a lot) while asking what his name was. She actually made a pretty good try at "Korey," so I'm surprised. Then she asked about his last name, which she refused to even ATTEMPT. It might be hard for her even if it is relatively common. Asked whether we'd met through the computer: she's forgotten the answer to that, so I told her that Eric had introduced us. She wondered whether we'd known each other for a year... no, just since June!

Went to the townhouse very briefly, which caused her confusion when the bus stops had been changed around. You can tell when I'm getting impatient with her and the language barrier because I start talking to her in my usual rapid-fire English (which she can't understand) in an exasperated tone, haha. Grandma: "But that's the bus stop I usually take! See? There's a BENCH! The sign says 407!" Me, in Chinese: "That's not the stop anymore. *switches to English* The sign is to tell people that the stop's changed... there's construction and the route isn't what you're used to. Come ON... I know the stop is this way! And no, the bench a block away at the restaurant we went to last week is not a stop, either!" Had a Revello popsicle while at the townhouse and talking to my parents about money / Korey / cell phones and plans / taking Uncle Eugene out for a meal since he was fixing Dad's computer.

My parents drove me home before they went out, where I found an email from Nathan saying that SLB is reserved for tomorrow night, along with a hilarious primer on how to pronounce his last name with OOMPH. Alan had replied to that to insist that next week would STILL work out for everyone as a better timeslot. Live with it, Galan! Andrew had also messaged me on MSN to ask when the "regular season" of Awana would start in September. Even if he was still on when I saw the message, I wouldn't have been able to tell him! That is actually something I'd also like to know, along with whether any Richmond people have signed up! Before I go check Facts About Multiples and possibly label more Blogger posts (no GJ RQ!), I'll leave you with parental tidbits:


Dad's idea of relationship advice: "He's going into pharmacy? He'll be so busy that he won't have as much time to talk to you!" (we'll work something out!)

Mom's idea of the same thing: "See what happens when you relocate to Kamloops! Oh, and you should be careful since I don't want you to get hurt: whites, blacks, and Mexicans love wholeheartedly - they might not be in it for a long time, though!" (K just called, so I scooped him on the contents of this post - and he says I don't have to worry about that! :P)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home