Saturday, June 02, 2007

$30 bills would be GREAT! / Popeye's Fried Chicken

When Eric picked me up to go to Fellowship, it was a good thing that I'd JUST finished eating dinner since there turned out to be a seven-car accident on the bridge! Good thing we weren't trying to get back since it was majorly backed up! We discussed craziness, Internet copyright, companions, Teunis, high-fives, legumes, my being honey-roasted peanuts, strawberry poop (bowls), chips, mishearing stuff, copying and pasting posts from another website, deleting blog posts, burning dumplings (my sister's like me!), wondering what it would be like to boil / burn to death, shiny / sparkly things (fake diamond watch of mine!). needing water because of the hot weather, and other subjects. It was all right, up until he started (jokingly) blaming me for the bad traffic. Not my fault a fire truck was blocking half our lane, for example! I told him that I only do certain things at night, and he seemed surprised - turns out we were thinking of different things, haha. (and grammar goes out my brain in the heat - Kieran had a sandwich, too)

Once we got to church late, I helped him carry some stuff in - his Subway sandwich, our fruit, and such. Of course we hadn't started yet, but it's still good to get there early! Talked to Kevin / Dianne / Vivian / Jen / Sheena / Karen C. about Dylan's typos (I could edit Sheena's papers!), my good dinner timing, the heat, that accident, Pastor Edward and Auntie Ruby's 30th anniversary coming up on Monday, chocolate / cranberry / oatmeal cookie balls, and how our weeks had been. Jeremy arrived a bit later... so we started talking about our weeks, whether we were allowed to eat the food, our weeks (three weeks' worth of work in ONE WEEK?!), weekend plans (brewing beer with Jon and buying stuff for Sunday dinner), Grouse Grind, hiking, etc. We were supposed to have small-group discussions during the talk (unremarkable), but Jeremy and I just exchanged various quips and laughs about our handout since we weren't really connected with anyone: parents are the ultimate loophole, hahaha. You can dig up dirt on anyone, even those you wish to emulate. THE CIRCLE SYSTEM RULES! He wondered if I was good with the lexicon, since he needed a word that meant both "fast-thinking" AND "full of thought" - I couldn't come up with one, unfortunately. Eric caught our discussion and wondered what THAT was all about - I know, it's so disappointing!

Later, there was a special presentation in honor of Pastor Edward and Auntie Ruby's 30th anniversary: yay for balloons, cake, apple juice toasts, and presents! (nice picture frame! Alan thought there should be more passion and tongue action in a kiss - not in this environment or Chinese weddings! Eric reimbursed me, Jen, and Jeremy: Jeremy thought a $30 bill would be a great invention, and Eric made a comment about how my purchase was $9.49 and Jeremy's was $9.99 - no extra penny! ("I'll be stealing!" "But I'm already off by five cents somehow!") He also paid me back $16 from last week, and asked if I knew what that was for: I may be losing my mind sometimes, but I definitely knew it was for last week's dinner at the California Café! Frances re-learned that Eric can't have sucrose, but I wasn't about to make sacrifices and drink apple juice / have cake for him! Jen and Jeremy were too full to have egg white cake, so instead they took a walk to Laura Secord for a while. (AKA excuse to smoke :P) Tried helping to clean up, but proved rather inefficient at that - I'll let the experts like Randal and Karen handle it! Said hi to Randal in passing, so he asked what I did on Monday - luckily, I had that hangout time with Chinese Eric! He just had beer while trying to figure what would happen next season: Jack Bauer is NOT going to jump onto the rocks! Maybe into the ocean in order to swim away from the Heller house, but other than that...

Some random dude was blocking my access to the stairs, but Karen was talking as if she knew him. The name "Peter" came up, and I struggled to remember that this was probably Stella's cousin. He's from Calgary, and is only here till September: no need to get TOO attached to him, hehe! (although losing the "ice queen" approach might be a good thing this summer...) Went downstairs for a bit, and said hi to Daniel / Cindy / Christon / Vanessa. Eric tried convincing me to go to the kitchen because my brother was there - he was, but I know his real motivation! Oh well, it was fine. I tried hurrying them up, but Eric thought I was in a rush. Loitering is fine in some cases, but I'd hit my "social limit." While listening to Cindy talk about all the babies (I gave Connie her niece Megan's birthday cards), I saw Justin Lam for the first time in a long time. Gave Jon some time to talk to Raymond, and mouthed to Eric that we kinda should LEAVE - Sam went with us, too. Randal decided to bid me goodnight - good idea to tap me on the shoulder, otherwise I wouldn't have heard a thing! (well, I would have... but it's better that way :P) We noticed Jeremy outside and Jon talked to him about tomorrow's plans: Sam really wants to see the brewing process, and wants it to be a Fellowship event, haha. (FACEBOOK PRIVATE EVENT - NO RANDOM INTERNET STRANGERS!)

Wondered if the cherries would keep till Sunday since I wanted to donate them to the summer dinner - I won't eat them all myself tomorrow! (I know the nuts will) Jeremy said I could "blanch" them by putting them in the microwave briefly - might do that. Jon wondered what happened to all the stuff in Eric's trunk: there used to be a time with his mom's car that there were multiple 12-packs of empty cans! Then there was the time that we had three guitars and some other stuff inside, too. Discussed combining Vietnamese coffee and a durian shake (eww!), Eric's Wednesday haircut, Pho Bich Nga (literally bloody soup that makes you feel sick the next day), Eric going out on Tuesday for a movie at Metropolis with REDEFINE people (OUTSIDERS!), and the current Blockbuster campaign (NO CANUCKS - RENT A MOVIE) ... what kind of campaign is THAT?!

We saw Chris Lam and Billy Wu at the gas station (bubble tea with the dudes, and no beer!), and discussed making sure that the Mandarin congregation knew about Jon's reputation as a beer-drinker (not an alcoholic!) ... my mom thinks differently, heh. Then we talked about worship songs, Eric going to Victoria this weekend (no Sunday dinner since he might be tired), prayer meeting, Nathan, buying food for Sunday (in Toronto, they'd just rush around Chinatown's cheaper grocery stores after church and lunch), and my probably having to go around with Jon on Sunday since Eric won't be there for ride purposes.

We discussed Harmony, Facebook (Eric thinks I'll eventually go there because of LJ and such), the great macaroni and cheese for Sunday with leeks / four different kinds of cheese (pepperjack, cheddar, asiago, and something else) / other stuff, Steph camping, how Jon hadn't had a dinner with Steph since last week sometime, Silvercity bubble tea, the Night Market, whether I'd remember Eric's parents' bowl next Friday (which is currently holding my peanuts which luckily didn't fall out of the bowl into its bag - of COURSE!), having his strawberries and my cherries, Sam / J-Mak / Lucas having only half of a HUGE drink at a movie place years ago (SO GROSS!), etc. I'm sure he'll buzz me on MSN sometime this week, haha. Now I'm just making Jamie jealous about Sakura (the anime store in Richmond Centre), and discussing the usual weird stuff with Corey. Good times to cap off the interesting night!


Popeye's Fried Chicken

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1 Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Chicken, Meats, Cake Mix

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

3 cups Self-rising flour
1 cup Cornstarch
3 tablespoons Seasoned salt
2 tablespoons Paprika
1 teaspoon Baking soda
1 package Italian Salad Dressing Mix -- Powder
1 package Onion Soup Mix -- (1 1/2 ounces)
1 package spaghetti sauce mix -- (1/2 ounce)
3 tablespoons Sugar
3 cups Corn flakes -- crush slightly
2 Eggs -- well beaten
1/4 cup Cold water
4 pounds Chicken -- cut up

Combine first 9 ingredients in large bowl. Put the cornflakes into another bowl. Put eggs and water in a 3rd bowl. Put enough corn oil into a heavy roomy skillet to fill it 1" deep. Get it HOT! Grease a 9x12x2 baking pan. Set it aside. Preheat oven to 350°. Dip chicken pieces 1 piece at a time as follows: 1 - Into dry coating mix. 2 - Into egg and water mix. 3 - Into corn flakes. 4 - Briskly but briefly back into dry mix. 5 - Drop into hot oil, skin-side-down and brown 3 to 4 minutes on medium high. Turn and brown other side of each piece. Don't crowd pieces during frying. Place in prepared pan in single layer, skin-side-up. Seal in foil, on 3 sides only, leaving 1 side loose for steam to escape. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes, removing foil then to test tenderness of chicken. Allow to bake uncovered 5 minutes longer to crisp the coating. Serves 4. Leftovers refrigerate well up to 4 days. Do not freeze these leftovers. Leftover coating mix (1st 9 ingredients) can be stored at room temp in covered container up to 2 months.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home