Monday, April 16, 2007

2-1 overtime playoff wins, JESUS CAMP fundamentalists, and ZEBRAMAN green alien ooze

When my time at Chapters was over (no history redux!), Jon picked me up. I updated him on stuff like Mom's work scheduling her for two Sundays in a row, the cruise thing, and why I was late this morning. Not that he'd noticed, since he was busily playing piano in his own way. I figured that when he looked over at us, he thought that I'd at least come on time - not this morning! Stopped briefly at some place for coffee while listening to the game on Team 1040, then went to Nathan's. When Nate had told me that "Eric" was there, I automatically thought he meant white Eric... but he'd meant Chinese Eric instead! Just as good, since I sat by him for the night... then again, I probably should have sat by Jeremy again since Eric kept moving on the couch so that his head was directly in my line of vision! Oh well... I can't decide whether that's better or worse than being crammed on the same couch with Cordia, Quan, and Joyce for the 24 madness night! We wondered whether Brent Sopel was playing after being injured while picking up a cracker (of all things!), and he was - yay!

Jeremy had beat us there, and went outside in the middle of the game because (I assume) he wanted to keep Jen company while they talked about things. Who knows... I've never known him to engage in certain behaviors, but I could be wrong! They're still my friends, though! (yes, I'm being deliberately vague!) The game was pretty well-played... Jeremy observed that the most amusing thing about the game was watching / hearing Nathan regress to "primal mode" when he just yelled "Ah! AH!" at the TV. I commented that I was just thinking the same thing - yay for things in common, sort of! He had brought the last of his homebrew porter and stout to share with us - those were good, and he poured me and Jen some too! (I resorted to pouring the last of the porter in my mug when they were outside on "smoke break" - Jeremy liked looking at my St. Margaret's mug, hehe)

We had Lay's chili and garlic chips, curry chips, and wavy original chips with some Coke Zero / Fresca / diet Coke. Then Nate ordered Papa John's pizza after trying to look it up on Google - he had a flier, so Jon could continue writing stuff on the computer downstairs. Two deep pan pizzas with seven toppings each for $27 sounded like a good deal - one was all meat except for the mushrooms (we loved that concept!), and the other had all the "leftovers" on it like shrimp / peppers / olives. When Dallas scored to make it 1-0 with five seconds left in a Vancouver power play, we all were dismayed! Jeremy brought up the idea of Traveling Dim Sum: they transport the food to you in a truck, bring the carts in, and you choose what you want! I got the concept - House Calls for Dim Sum! Haha, that would definitely be an interesting business! (we also discussed house churches and how they weren't really the norm anymore since everyone was scattered nowadays)

During an intermission, Nathan checked what pictures Steph had added to Facebook - there was one from Sunrise Service in which Jeremy's reflective strips were REALLY shiny ("that's what you see when I ride my bike at night!"), so he entitled it "Jeremy Encountering God"! Then there were the bra pictures from Steph and Vivian's night at the Colorado game - Nate seemed amused at how Viv's pink bra was just lying on the floor, haha. He looked at the signed white bra pictures, and Jeremy wondered if Steph had taken the bra with her to the game as opposed to just taking it off there. He can't imagine her doing that, and I don't think she would! I told him it was an old bra, and wondered whether he'd even heard the story before - nope! Some things are probably better left unsaid, heh.

When Vancouver tied the score at 1, we were suitably happy and stared intensely at the gameplay for the last few minutes of the third! Then it went into overtime, so we used that intermission to watch the ending scenes of ZEBRAMAN (weird Japanese movie) for Jeremy - starting with a group of children brandishing baseball bats and creating mayhem. Eric wondered what had made them so crazy, so I asked Jeremy: some green alien ooze had permeated the town and had gotten into the kids. Then we got to watch a woman give birth to a green baby - oh my! We all hoped that the hockey game would NOT go into a whole bunch of overtime, especially as we still had a movie to watch! (Jon was upstairs on the phone with Harmony through most of this) When Taylor Pyatt scored in overtime, Nathan missed the goal and only got up to cheer when he saw the goal celebration... I high-fived Jeremy twice, and we all made a bunch of excited noise. This caused Jon to come downstairs and see what all the commotion was about - he quickly ended his phone call, haha. Nathan went upstairs and didn't come down for some time, giving his explanation as "too much oil." Okay, I think we know what you're talking about there!

We were going to watch more ZEBRAMAN at 9:40 or so, but decided against it since JESUS CAMP was about an hour and a half long, and 5:30 AM comes early for Jeremy when he has to work! Man, those people are VERY EXTREME and cause children to grow up way too fast by possibly brainwashing them! The lady who runs the camp sounded like she was trying to heavily guilt-trip the children into believing / speaking in tongues! There was this one dude in a red shirt who seemed okay at first... until he started talking about abortion and how one-third of the kids' friends couldn't make it to the camp because of that! (they even had little tiny baby props, and referred to the kids as "more than ectoplasm"!) Speaking of such, there was a scene at a meal where some guy randomly inserted prayer against abortion into the grace! Abortion is way too heavy a topic for kids 9-12 years old: Jeremy said that all he knew at that age was that babies came out of Mommy, and not HOW they were made! (so true!) Too many kids crying emotionally in the movie, man... just impress upon them the weight of the world, and it'll do that! The cup-smashing scene showed poor parenting skills: yeah, I'm just going to let my kids and their friends smash glass / ceramic cups with a hammer to say how the government needs godly people! *rolleyes*

Jon had a private "pastoral" phone call to field from Christon, so he missed the first half. Nathan just wanted to see the kids being kids: ghost stories and playing "shadow" on the wall are good! Trying to convert random people you see at the bowling alley is perhaps not quite so good. Homeschooling your kids (because you're evangelical Christians) might not be so bad, but trying to convince them that global warming is a non-issue? I don't know, man... especially with that poster of George W. Bush on the wall! (then there was a cardboard cutout of him later!) There was a scene where the workers were praying over every seat in the camp room, the electricity, microphones, Powerpoint, the sound, and storms. Nathan figured we should pray for our Powerpoint and sound issues more often, haha! Then there was a scene with the pastor who got caught with a male prostitute later - repentance, indeed...

The crazy lady director was fixing her hair in one scene and commented that this was exhausting! Haha. Then she was showing what she used for object lessons, like green sticky material that stuck onto a brain mold. She blew up a balloon to demonstrate what would happen to your spiritual life if you prayed every day and read the Bible. She then shrunk it to demonstrate what would happen if you DIDN'T do those things, and Jeremy remarked that it was a good thing she didn't use a condom! If I'd been sitting next to him (Jen was), I'd have playfully hit him... I contented myself with mock anger, haha. But I managed to make everyone laugh seconds later: the kids were doing a cheer outside which included the word "Trojan." So I was like "Speaking of condoms..." I'm not sure if Jen or Jeremy understood it at first, but I repeated myself when Nathan asked what I'd said. Jeremy, on my one-liner: "Leslie's way ahead of us!" Haha, sometimes I can be!

The crazy director lady was on the radio with some talk show host, and trying to tell everyone that her way was the right way. "It's a democracy, and I'm not indoctrinating the kids - or maybe I am, but more churches should do this! We have freedom!" (Jeremy: "Yes, we do have freedom - we have the freedom to disagree!") You could tell that the radio host was trying to be a voice of reason, but the crazy lady wasn't having any of it! The kids were also at the White House and singing songs / praying. I guess the red "LIFE" signs taped over their mouths signified abortion too! I don't mind if kids talk about sins and such, but going all Pentecostal and extreme about it because of massive guilt complexes is NOT cool.

After the movie, we talked for a bit while Jeremy decided to go home first since it was past 11. We watched the very end of ZEBRAMAN - kid with glasses in wheelchair is trapped by the aliens, a trusted figure IS an alien, the principal of the school gets killed by green alien ooze, scripts for ZEBRAMAN are discovered, limited episodes with fans, the aliens are really acting out the script, Zebraman saves the world by kicking alien butt (HUGE aliens!), does a ZORRO thing with the Z in the forehead of a gigantic alien made up of many tiny ones' ooze, and receives the town's adulation. That ending was funny! We talked to Jen about her blog, guys, Daniel Fellowship camp, celebrating her birthday in a couple of weeks, and not seeing her in some time before we finally left at 11:35 or so.

Eric said he sometimes went to Willingdon, and told us that his parents still didn't know the whole story behind the crazy adventures of a few weeks ago... phew! ("Mom, my friends have to use the bathroom!") Everyone involved that night was there tonight, except white Eric! When Nate referenced "Pastor Jon" earlier and asked what Eric thought of him, Jeremy and I thought he meant my brother! Turns out that he meant someone at Willingdon! Very understandable! After he borrowed JESUS CAMP to watch the crazy stuff he'd missed while on the phone with Christon, Jon encouraged Eric to come out to Fellowship or hang out when he wasn't busy - I definitely agree! He and I drove Jen home - her mom's okay with her moving out in June or so! Tried to convince her not to drive or use a car, what with gas prices being 121.3 and the environmental impact and such. Very ironic, since he was driving as he said this... but if he had a choice, he wouldn't. Very good day, if a little long - especially in blog form. Let's just say you don't want to know what the real timestamp of this entry is... I HATE BRAINSPACE ISSUES!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home