Sunday, January 14, 2007

Ringing the doorbell multiple times is more fun than Jon letting us into Nathan's house: 24!

My siblings and Eric picked me up at 7:15, and we were on our way to UBC to "kidnap" Cordia and Joyce. (I saw Eric H. online just before I left, but I had no time to talk... always later!) Eric asked if I'd seen any episodes of 24 before, and I said that I'd seen bits and pieces of one or two. Jon had seen almost a full episode, so he and I were on the same par. (later, we found out that Isabel hadn't seen any... so most of us were neophytes at this gathering except Nathan / Eric / Steph!) The freaky dark long highway leading to UBC gave my sister flashbacks and good memories, and there were new buildings and stuff up from the time she went there in 2001-2002. Jon mentioned playing a 24 video game with Harmony's brother Myles, and Eric said that he might pick that up since his brother gave him a PS2 for Christmas. (we thought he was a Nintendo fanboy!) Steph was all excited about a 24 soundtrack she saw somewhere, but let reason seep into her brain: what's the music gonna be, just the cell phone ringtone of three tones? (which is Steph's ringtone that she's always had)

When we picked the girls up, Steph said that squishing four people in the backseat was their welcome to the 24 madness, especially since they were skinny! (Cordia: "You mean JOYCE is skinny, not me!" Eric: "Oh, this person in the back just has two heads!" Jon: "Oh, one of those people can sit here in front - in my lap!") They referenced some gaming jokes, Quan's fears of mushrooms and people touching her hair, and told Jon that he shouldn't be so happy about Cordia's head banging into the back of his seat during a car accident. Yup, they're weird... but it's okay! Steph doesn't know how they tolerate her, especially Cordia... that set off a discussion of how Cordia had secret plans to murder her! We know Jack Bauer is going to get through his torture and such alive, since Kiefer Sutherland just signed a three-year contract!

When we got to Nathan's, I got out on the wrong side of the car as it was icy! Oh well, at least I didn't kill myself there since Steph helped me to the lawn, haha. Then we had fun ringing Nathan's doorbells (not a typo - he has one on each side of the door) and knocking on the door multiple times, even though Jon had the key. After a couple of minutes of this, we all got tired of it and figured he must be in the bathroom or something. Jon let us in and Steph announced that we'd arrived... Nathan came downstairs a few moments later and said he'd heard some noises while he was in the bathroom that made him wonder what the heck was happening outside! We watched a bit of the SIMPSONS (Homer and the army) before settling in pre-show with some chips and BORAT references. Hopefully, the next few paragraphs (I'm not sure how many I'll write about the show :P) will be non-spoilerish. :)

Steph mentioned that she missed Christon since it wasn't the same without him... his mom won't understand the "But, Mom! It's 24!" protestation since (to her) the dinner event is about family time. I'm going to have to see how it is with him, haha. When the show started with its warning about violence, Steph was all happy: "I've been waiting for this since the finale!" Quan was a little late, and rang the doorbell just as a bus blew up on TV, so we all jokingly blamed Eric for the on-screen action since he let her in because he was closest to the door. Eric then countered: "It wasn't ME, it was HER!" The newest arrival quickly squished herself on the couch with Cordia, Joyce, and me... those three spent the two hours trying to win dominance of their couch space, heh. Isabel came in with her dinner, then offered us her stash of popcorn: heck, we'd take two bags of the stuff! It was an interesting show for sure: we all thought a certain biting scene was pretty gross! Quan expressed her dislike of torture scenes once she saw the first one, so I warned her that she wouldn't like the second (knives and more torture of Jack Bauer)... she said that she was looking anyhow! Okay, then... we all thought certain plans were pretty badly thought-out, heh.

There were more terrorist attacks, lots of product placement for Dell computers and Toyotas, plot twists, and stuff that required us to suspend disbelief: "Yeah... I'm sure he'd just move right aside in real life after someone said THAT to him! I should remember that federal agent line next time I forget my fare on the Skytrain! But everyone watches this show in Vancouver, so maybe that won't work!" "Oh sure.. just walk away after you torture the guy! He's my hero for doing what he did!" "That's a stupid reason for saying they're not friends!" "Right.. like you'd protect that guy from an air strike! How do you know he's telling the truth?!" "Always trust U-Haul, guys!" "I'd personally start the car first before talking to the president!" "One of his many talents - he knows how to *insert action here that gets him out of a tricky situation*!" "Yeah, I'm sure THAT excuse will work in real life... but, Officer, I was just trying to get out of the situation *and* I know the president!" "Gee, he recovered quickly after being tortured in the Chinese prison AND at the hand of the other terrorists! He favored his arm for a bit, but it was all gone by the time they were at the house with the blood!" "Like they'd really arrest the president's sister... DELETE, DELETE, DELETE!"

The commercials were interesting, too: mass email of a swimsuit babe (how's THAT supposed to sell the product?!), the tattoo / wild party spot for Labatt's, etc. After the two episodes were over, we tried to get Jon to leave ASAP because some people had to work tomorrow... and I had to blog, haha. We wondered if the girls needed a ride home: Quan said that she arranged for Rich to pick them up, so we joked that they'd miss the squished backseat on the way home. (but fitting five people into the backseat would have been VERY problematic, if not outright impossible!) They're not sure if they'll join us tomorrow: we'll let them do their homework instead, haha.

While driving back to Richmond, we discussed how a LOT of people say my and Lesley's name wrong ("Lez-lee" instead of "Les-lee") because of lazy tongues. Eric said he got a customer service email once that made his last name Italian! (Mr. Morelli?! / Enrico Morales / French accents!) Then we talked about tomorrow's episodes at Nathan's... I could bus to Cambie / Jacombs at 6 to meet Eric, or call Jon at a reasonable time (12-1?) to bus with him - also early because of the worship team leaders' meeting at 6 there. We'll see if I don't kill myself on the ice! (good thing the shows start at 8!) Speaking of buses, we talked about bus drivers missing stops and people getting really pissed... they have a thankless job most times, even if some people DO thank them when they get off the bus at their destination! Eric also threatened me with death by DVD case at the gas station (to overcome my fear of icy conditions): I DON'T THINK SO! :P (all the half-tanks are going to kill Dad when he sees the fillup log, haha)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home