Monday, January 08, 2007

Confetti hearts / Airport dreams / Sextuplets?! HERE?! NO WAY!

I'm listening to the Doors since it is Robby Krieger's birthday today! Thank goodness that Mozilla Firefox's "Find" feature now searches text boxes! It saves me some annoyance in trying to find things in (for instance) an "Edit Entry" box, what with the length of SOME of these posts. ;)

Sara W. (sparkle_bint) got my Christmas card a while ago, but I haven't documented it here till now. Taru (tarutar) commented to let me know that she got my postcard, card, and chocolate / strawberry Pocky: good to know it arrived in Finland finally! Speaking of Christmas loot, I got a great package from Ana (glamourcorpse): Scooby Doo Christmas card, coloring sheet with pictures on it, plenty of heart-shaped confetti, a cool bracelet, and Insects Stained Glass Coloring Book! (Dover Little Activity Books, by John Green... it features the bumblebee, fly, two-spot ladybird, caterpillar, butterfly, grasshopper, ant, and spider) I'll put the confetti in with my red rocks from that P.E.I. beach, heh.

I had weird dreams about somehow going with Holly (brother's girlfriend's sister) to Washington airport, where I met all their other friends and Harmony (brother's girlfriend). I took out a picture of MY friends on the opposite end of the continent, and they somehow recognized Eric M.'s brother Kieran in a black shirt and dark blue pants! Very weird... then there was the part where Jeremy and others had to push against a green wall in order to get to the next room. (no, I haven't been playing MOTAS or other online games lately...)


I was going to blog about this yesterday when we saw it on the news. Why did GRANDMA turn the downstairs TV on when she can't understand English?! However, the hockey game eclipsed it, haha. There have been sextuplets born in Vancouver at 6.5 months, and my dad thought that six babies at a time was septuplets. Not quite, but that was just momentary forgetfulness or something and NOT on a par with what my mom comes up with regularly!

A woman has given birth to six babies in a Vancouver hospital, officials confirmed Monday, the first sextuplets believed to be born in Canada.

"I am able to confirm to you that this weekend at B.C. Women's Hospital, sextuplets were born and that they were born at a gestational age of 25 weeks," said Dr. Brian Lupton, director of the hospital's neonatal unit.

Lupton was not able to give details on the children until he received permission from the family.

But according to reports, the babies — four boys and two girls — each weighed two pounds. One of the babies was born naturally and the others by emergency Caesarean section, according to reports.

Experts say the six babies will likely face significant health challenges. They will need extensive medical support and could be in the neonatal unit for months.

Sextuplets are extremely rare. Only 160 cases have ever been documented. Most multiple births are now caused by fertility drugs.

Sextuplets born to Susan Rosenkowitz and her husband Colin on Jan. 11, 1974, in Cape Town, South Africa, were the first known to survive their infancy. [David Peter, Grant Vincent, Jason Solomon, Nicolette Anne, Elizabeth Rebecca, Emma Louise]

Canada's most famous multiple births were the Dionne quintuplets, delivered in May 1934 by a country doctor in a rural northern Ontario farmhouse. They became international Depression-era celebrities, their every move recorded and written about. [Annette Lillianna Marie, Yvonne Edouilda Marie (died 2001), Cecile Marie Emilda, Marie Rein Alma (died 1970), Emilie Marie Jeanne (died 1954)]

They were the first quints known to have survived infancy.


I'm certainly going to be following up this story! Speaking of related stuff, Facts About Multiples is going to be moving again in February. Oh well... at least I have the "three blue stars / facts about multiples" tags and such on the correction posts for reference when I need to change them again!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home