Monday, January 08, 2007

Shootout wins are fun to watch on Pay Per View!

Surprise / interesting fact of the day: Dave bought his mom an iPod for Christmas! Whoa... what a good son, haha.

Note to self: TSN.ca has everything I'm looking for in game recaps, haha.


YAY! WE WON 4-3 IN A SHOOTOUT AGAINST FLORIDA, AND ARE NOW 7-0 AFTER CHRISTMAS! The Panthers haven't won here since March 7, 1994! Roberto Luongo and Lukas Krajicek were able to beat their old team, hehe. I sent the Asian beer blog link to Jon and Jeremy just before dinner, so that's one thing off my list! (I know they'll like it!) Mom had me and Steph do various chores after dinner that resulted in us missing the whole first period at Eric's place, but it was better not to stress her out / antagonize her by complaining about that. At least she seems to be letting up on me since she now knows what it's like when your mother invades your personal space and is your shadow all day long! ;) On that note, Danielle is glad her parents FINALLY went back home to Edmonton this morning after spending the last three weeks at her and Jody's place: Danielle and her brother don't have THAT much space to start with, so adding two extra people and their luggage is organized frustration! (she loves them and all, but FREEDOM TO DO WHAT YOU WANT / REST is also excellent!)

I'm gladly assuming that Jeremy's at home resting, since the poor guy needs it after being dragged out and about by a certain person! Maybe he'll be better on Friday... I hope so, anyhow. Steph and I were just pulling up across the street from Eric's house when I said something about how we at least hadn't missed any scoring with 11 seconds left in the first: that proved to be a good-luck charm as Trevor Linden scored right after I said that, so we rushed to knock on the door. Eric and Kieran said that we were too late to catch much, but we did catch the replay on the highlight reel summary of the first period! Since it was the intermission, we set Jon's Young London Ale on the table while talking to Ron and Veronica before they went into their room to watch the PPV game. (our brother's both peculiar AND particular! :P) They finally finished lots of turkey leftovers from two turkey dinners, which is a good thing! Veronica also mistakenly called me by my sister's name and wondered why I wasn't answering her, heh. Ah well, it happens! (especially with certain aunties at church: today, one of them offered to knit me a red wool hat!)

The second period was SLOW and BAD! The Canucks played so poorly in that middle frame, and let Florida take our momentum away by battling hard / outshooting us by a ridiculous margin in OUR BUILDING! We also had to contend with seeing the Panthers' scruffy mustaches from not shaving since they were on a winning streak... Ville Peltonen looks really ugly since he also has at least a couple of missing teeth! =/ Of course, he HAD to score the tying goal in the second... and why did the camera have to catch closeups of him skating around the ice / at the Florida bench?! During the second intermission, we amused ourselves by watching the text messages scroll by on the bottom of the TV screen. Eric also wanted me to have some chips / salsa, and a rum ball. I was suspicious of his ulterior motives, and remarked that the game reminded me to change my MSN name to something which is NOT open to deliberate misinterpretation. Weird kiddies... :P (if Steph and Eric misinterpret "ME," I'm not sure what I'll do!) The temporary organist was cool, haha.

As for the third period? It featured four goals (two from each team), and Veronica came out of her room to high-five us whenever the Canucks scored. Those goals by Mike Van Ryn / Brendan Morrison / Markus Naslund / Gregory Campbell weren't exactly pretty, and at least one came on a play where the opposition shouldn't score AT ALL! (from 35 feet on a harmless-looking wrist shot?!) Naslund broke his almost-record scoring drought, so that was definitely an excellent thing to see him celebrating for once! There were a few plays in the Vancouver zone during the game which made us hold our breath because we thought a goal was about to be scored by the wrong team, but that thankfully didn't happen. Thank goodness we weren't watching the game with Mom, who gets especially high-strung / anxious during games! (during the Dallas game, she apparently thought she was having a stroke... don't ask me WHY!) WORK ON YOUR GLOVE SIDE, LUONGO!

After regulation time, I really needed to go to the bathroom. (we had a bottled water each, plus the liquid consumed during dinner / a sip of beer) When I got back, my sister congratulated me on my good timing since OT was about to start. I sat back down on the couch, only to discover that a certain devious person who is also a backwards male had placed a Kleenex box on my seat! (I expect this behavior in the CAR, but not at his HOUSE... maybe I should rethink that! When I say he's a backwards male, I'm not ragging on the male species in general... he really IS one by name!) Steph then said that I'd just destroyed a sacred family heirloom that contained Ron's grandfather's grandfather's ashes, and Eric just exclaimed about how squashed it was. Not sure what Kieran made of that, or of the simmering in-jokes throughout the evening... ah well, maybe he'll just chalk it up to the craziness that is our family!

Nobody scored in overtime, so the game went to a shootout. After the first round of three shooters including Naslund and Morrison, Kesler was our hero once again like he was against Dallas! Unfortunately, Steve Montador also scored... second round of a shootout, anyone? Good thing Olli Jokinen didn't score against his old friend and teammate! (nor did Peltonen... we cringed every time we saw him on the TV screen, haha!) By this time, Veronica was outside with us talking to Luongo, urging him to save every shot he faced! Both the Sedin twins missed, and so did two Florida players in that second round. I don't know about Rostislav Olesz, but Nathan Horton is supposedly good! We were all confused as to WHY Alain Vigneault would play Josh Green during overtime, let alone a shootout! (even he was surprised when he got the call to go out there!) Then we found out why when he scored against Eddie Belfour, giving us the win when Jozef Stumpel couldn't stare Luongo down to tie the game! The team also gained two important points in the standings with the Eastern road trip coming up! (Florida only got one point for tying the game in regulation, and is 0-8 in extra time this season!)

After that, we watched some of the post-game reaction. The three stars were Naslund, Weiss, and Morrison. It was Alex Auld's birthday today, but we didn't see him in the Florida lineup... thanks for no heart, Jacques Martin! Todd Bertuzzi is still recovering from back surgery, too. However, we did see Bryan Allen on the Florida defense! (all former Canucks) We watched Cliff Ronning, Kirk McLean, and others get reaction from various players and such before Steph reminded Jon that we had to leave: she's sleeping over at Vivian's (who now has morning class), and he had to drop me off at home before returning books to the library a week early for Mom. If he didn't, at least two of us would hear about it... not good! So we thanked the guys for having us, and took off shortly after 10. While he was doing that, Harmony called: he'd better not call her too late since she does have to work. I can understand sacrificing some sleep with a three-hour time difference, but not ALL of it! (never understood those people in long-distance relationships who seemingly sacrifice ALL their sleep just to talk online / on the phone for hours! :P)

That was an AWESOME GAME! Our second shootout in three games, and we're now 3-1 in shootouts! Makes me want to call a certain person and tell him about it, but of course I won't since (as someone else likes to say) I'm a big wimp. Wouldn't want to bother the person at any hour, haha. Maybe via email, but we all know I won't do THAT either! Why do I want to tell the person about it when (to my knowledge) he hasn't expressed much interest in hockey? Don't ask! (I still have Steph's Canucks jersey that she loaned me for the game, so I'll give it back to her later on in the week... especially if I go to James Bond! Maybe I shouldn't have given Rachel's card to Jon, either... eep!)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home