Thursday, December 07, 2006

Skating at the arena, elves, 2006 Year In Review, violating corpses, goth riddles

Eric just emailed a bunch of us with something to do in lieu of Fellowship on Friday: SKATING AT THE MINORU ARENA?! I don't think it's for me since I'll kill myself doing that. Well, not really... but I still have memories of needing stitches at the hospital (where my mom worked at the time) because I cut my finger on a skate blade during a grade school field trip! So after that, I never really went skating.. except VERY briefly in Gr. 9 on a Timothy Fellowship outing with David Marr and FM. After that, never again. I told him that (which crossed with Rich's reply saying he couldn't make it since he's babysitting his nephews - they're SO CUTE!), and he said: "Please don't kill yourself at all. We may do stuff after so you can join us then, but you are pretty far away from the arena.. so I don't know if you will be able to get a ride. LOL." Note: I am NOT far away from the arena at all.. maybe a five-minute drive, if that! :P

Speaking of emails, Steph just made an elf out of herself. Haha, Elf Yourself indeed! :D (Although if this is some subliminal plot to get Christmas songs in my head, I don't appreciate it! I was there for a grand total of 20 seconds before all the music became too much for me... thank goodness for Neil Young! :P)


2006 Year In Review

Go to your Calendar and find the first entry for each month of 2006. Post the first line of it in your journal as a paragraph, and that's your "Year In Review."

I probably shouldn't be up now, but I just had to update. I shouldn't focus on packing only my books... but that's what I'm doing for now. Corey and I had a discussion about downloading movies and TV shows, now that I can with my fast connection. If any of you prank me today, I'll cut out your hearts and eat them for breakfast!!! The OMGHABERDASHERY person is back, with a new screen name: ChewablePutty. Got a PM back from Carol about the whole "consumer whore" thing. The Milestones dinner was okay... I had a good seafood salad, though! I had an interesting dream last night that involved Jeremy (in his Sunday gear including dark sweater) and Karen Lew in with a group of our friends looking for clues around town. I called Jon (and Eric by extension since they were together) for a while earlier tonight. The Night Market trip was fun: I decided to ask my mom whether she would have gone on the tour if I'd said I didn't want to go, and she believed I was having second thoughts when she'd already booked the trip. Why am I up so early? Yay, I officially survived Snow Dump 2006!

Man, that's one long "paragraph"... if I were writing an entry, I'd PROBABLY split it up into two. o_O


Today's Violating Yet Truly Morbid Fact!

Herodotus was born sometime between 480 and 490 BC at Haliacarnassus (south-west coast of Asia Minor). He travelled to Egypt, Africa and other parts of the ancient Greek world while still a young man, and through his writings he came to be called 'the Father of History.' He died in 425 BC. Here is an interesting snippet from his discussion on Egyptian mummification:

"When the wife of a distinguished man dies, or any woman who happens to be beautiful or well known, her body is not given to the embalmers immediately, but only after the lapse of three or four days. This is a precautionary measure to prevent the embalmers from violating the corpse, a thing which is said actually to have happened in the case of a woman who had just died. The culprit was given away by one of his fellow workmen."

Culled from: Herodotus on Mummification
Generously submitted by: Joe

**********************************************************************

Hmmmmm... I can't help but realize that we don't follow this practice any longer. What do you suppose that means? *scratches chin*

*******

Morbid Merchandise Is On Its Way!

I know I've been promising T-shirts for eons, but thanks to the invaluable assistance of Jen at Juror2, I'm finally going to be able to make the dream real! The shirts should be available for purchase sometime within the next week, so prepare yourselves. I didn't want to spring this on you without ample warning; such excitement must be eased into gently.

In the meantime, please check out Jen's fabulous gruesome stick figure shirts.

I'm particularly fond of the Little Axe Girl, myself...

*******

Morbid Riddle Du Jour!

Joe sends a link to the following brain teaser which has a nice gothic feel to it. It's horribly easy to guess, but I suppose that's not the point, is it?

The queen of death; she crawls on your stairs,
She's always so lonely, no mate in her lair.
Her children, they leave home with such haste
For fear that their blood this new mother will taste.
On silken cord, her daughters await,
For men in their homes meet a similar fate.
Dark as new moon, her crimson belly tells time,
Her mate is passed on, he won't tell of her crime.
If you see the black maiden, you must run in fear
One prick from her needles and pain is quite near.

The answer is here.

*******

Wretched Recommendations!

J.P. has a film recommendation - which also qualifies as a Morbid Mirth:

"I'd like to recommend the Overkill box set of Happy Tree Friends. It contains over 7 hours of mind-numbing goodness, plenty of gore in hand for any morbidity fan! This is a must-buy!"

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home