Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Old Spaghetti Factory, dismemberment, BLACK DAHLIA, and steamy windows!

No, not THOSE kind of steamy windows, you perverts. :P (and it's NOT a Tina Turner reference, either!)

Since the Internet was being crappy when I tried to post this, I'll keep the original timestamp and stuff. Thank goodness I saved all my work in multiple windows in a pre-existing Notepad document! Now it's time for MAJOR catch-up and such... also, I gotta see if Chinese Eric emailed me a certain list. If he did, I'll update his blog with it. (there will be no overall present list right now, since Citrus has my present from him and Danielle... maybe I'll post that when I recover from the weekend!)

Chinese Eric arrived at 6:25, and he spent some time talking to me about Fay and movies (Beerfest / Jet Li's last martial arts film) while he tried to discreetly write my birthday card when I was busy on the computer. Haha, that didn't really work since I noticed he went to grab something and write at the table near the kitchen. Just before we left at around 7, Nina called to say that she was there already... man, so early and unheard of around my friends! o_O When we got there, he dropped me off in the middle of the road in front of the restaurant while he parked, heh.

Eric thought we'd be the latest ones there, but that dubious honor went to who else but Jon and Nathan! Then again, Nina left before we even sat down because she was under the mistaken impression that we'd actually be eating dinner at 7:15! Heh, not so around here with Chinese Time... maybe people will get there by 7:30 if we're lucky, and actually start eating maybe half an hour later! But of course I do understand that she had to look after her son and do other stuff... she gave me a gift before she left, and wished me a good one. Karen told me that Andrea couldn't make it; once I got around to talking to Teunis, he told me happy birthday from him and also from Jasmine. Yes, I knew SHE couldn't make it because she was having a tough time studying and such. Talked to Randal, white Eric, Jeremy, Steph, Dylan, and Danielle before we all were seated. Steph got this dragon art card from a Mexican chip bag for free, so she gave it to me: the guys spent some time looking at it and holding it up to the light. Apparently, that looked really cool... I'll have to try that sometime! (Jon said grace for the whole table and mentioned my ability to remember everyone's birthdays... everyone toasted each other after that and the Chinese HAPPY BIRTHDAY song)

Steph and I talked about certain maternal logic with Danielle: white Eric and Cindy are not good matches just because they're both tall, I'm not a good match with Rich simply because I won't have to change my last name, and Steph and certain guys have zero compatibility! (so hilarious!) Apparently, Danielle is my mom's favorite... that's cool with her! (we discussed Ralph Klein, too) Then Danielle and Steph discovered (again) that they really should have been sisters: they both like country gospel music, as does Melia! (new trio to replace Fidela / Steph / Vanessa as Britney / Christina / Shania?) Steph asked Randal if anyone ever called him Randy: nobody had, and he wouldn't want to be Randy anyhow... not with certain British connotations of the word! ("This is my friend, and he's Randy!" "Uh... okay... o_O") Then she came up with "RandMa" as in "grandma"... he preferred "Randy" to "RandMa," but it still wasn't his #1 preference! (Steph, Eric M., Jon, and Danielle wanted me to chug my Corona... "you'll have the whole movie to recover!")

There was a time when most of the table was talking about hockey / the Canucks / hockey pools, so Steph turned to Danielle (who really hates it when that particular subject is being discussed) and teased her: "Hey, Danielle... hockey's starting! Aren't you excited for Edmonton?!" So then she said: "Just when you think it's over, it starts again!" Steph relayed this to Jon, who was talking to Teunis about his truck and such: he tapped her on the head and joked that they'd discuss hockey all the time in front of her just to make her feel loved, haha. I'm not so sure she was impressed by that, but she knows it's part of life around us, like making fun of Alberta and their brown grass! ;) (we also sarcastically thanked her later when she announced to us that she had to pee, heh) Then I told them that Eunice's cousin Ellen had a phone in every room of her house, including the bathrooms.. Danielle thought that was hilarious! Steph asked about the twins Adam and Andrew: I told her that they'd wanted to give me birthday beats over the weekend, their 16th birthday was Sept. 20, and that one of them was in Awana. (they're cool dudes!)

When Teunis mentioned that he drove a pickup truck, Steph was instantly enthralled. This reminded her of Michelle being enthralled with the garbagemen / garbage trucks when she was a kid... she'd sit at the window and watch the trash guys pick up her family's junk, heh. (Steph loved Batman and Bruce Wayne when she was a kid!) Little kids are so weird... as in the story Jeremy told me and Nathan in the parking lot. (which I'll mention later) Steph insisted on buying me a Corona (to match my hat) and Danielle bought me a Bellini: of course, this led to a rash of jokes about keg parties and such. I had to explain that to Teunis, who appeared to be quite interested in what certain people were saying about table dances and beer keggers! Actually, I think he kept my siblings and Danielle entertained with stories about Dutch people, Greenland, and I dunno what else! (Steph wondered how he and white Eric knew each other: the Pho dinner at Jeremy's!) Jeremy brought up the charismatic movement, the Apocalypse, and beer: so interesting! There's also this SLB Denial group outing to bring back those satellite people: maybe it'll work!

We talked about my Engrish shirt / the "POISON!" snake-dragon shirt / my "Yes! I am totally out of control!" vest thing... hey, they're all blue! Then it was on to elements and Chinese zodiac signs: Nathan's a metal phoenix, and I'm a fire dragon... Steph thinks that makes total sense! Danielle wondered how we knew that, so we told her to Google that when she got home. Steph had the hardest time guessing what year Randal was born in: not Dog, Monkey, Pig, Rooster, or anything else she could come up with! Eric M. thought about it and guessed Tiger: that proved to be the right one! Then he wondered to me why they'd given him creamers for his peppermint tea: I told him to give them to Randal since he'd know what to do with them. Steph noticed this and alerted Jon (who was still talking with Teunis about stuff): Randal flipping over four creamers at once during Easter breakfast instantly made him my sister's new hero, haha. A bunch of people got into it with varying rules / skill / success levels, then Eric M. mentioned that perhaps I should open my presents with the downtime we had between ice cream and the movies: good idea!

Chinese Eric got me a card, white Eric got me a card ("How many cakes are on the card? 30! You're 240 in dog years or something now! No, I'm not like Eunice's parents who'd put 300 years old on the card!") and a $25 Chapters gift card which I may or may not use to buy another Bathroom Reader, and Karen got me a compact personalized Bible with case... not so easy to regift, as my sister joked. Jen bought me a decorative stone and sand set, and Nina had bought me this H2O Plus set of milk body wash / body lotion / shampoo / conditioner... in other words, something that a certain person I know would never use, heh. Randal got me a book by Eugene Peterson (NOT Eugene Levy!) called God's Message for Each Day: Wisdom from the Word of God, and Nathan got me Olde Charlie Farquharson's Testament: Perry Sound Version. (with Blessings bookstore flyers... "more than it appears," haha!) Too hilarious since I know my Bible relatively well, and we joked that he was enjoying his own birthday gift far too much since he was showing it off to everyone! Eric M. managed to fit everything into Karen's huge gift bag, which was cool.

After paying the bill and getting movie tickets (I got an extra $2), we went outside and talked while dodging buses... Steph asked me what the movie was about, so I said it was about an unsolved murder case. She thought that was right up my alley, so she further asked whether there was any dismemberment in it. Boy, was she surprised when I coolly told her: "Actually, yes... she was found cut in two!" (she liked how I told her that, though!) Steph and Jon went home because they'd been summoned by Mom to help out with cleaning up, and a number of others also did because of work and early mornings... it's weird seeing Danielle drive because the car's so huge in relation to her size! (half-kidding, sorta!) Both Erics, Randal, Jeremy, and Nathan watched the movie with me, though... we picked up Famous magazine, and went to the wrong wing of theatres at first! BLACK DAHLIA was pretty good, although it was kinda hard to follow at first... let's just say that things are weird and not as they might seem in that movie! (lotsa shooting, though!)

After that, Nathan drove me and Jeremy home: the windows were fogged with moisture, so Jeremy told everyone to stop breathing while Nathan drove the car in circles around the parking lot with the window open a bit. He soon discovered that we might get dizzy doing that, so we just stopped for a while and listened to Jon's trippy random music. Then Jeremy told us the story of when he was little (5?) and asked his mom why the car windows were foggy in the garage. She told him something about moisture, then went into the house to get stuff. While she was gone, Jeremy thought that he'd help by breathing on the windows: she had to explain that he was actually making the problem worse, heh.

We discussed late-night shows tomorrow (11:30?) by an indie / jazz band called Mother that Jeremy likes, and sleeping after work. The last time Jeremy slept / took a nap right after work, he didn't get up till his alarm went off the next day! (not enough sleep there... reminds me of the time I slept for 14 hours after last year's Summer Conference!) Nathan almost missed turning on the side street needed to get to my place, so I joked that he'd have me in the car all the way to Jeremy's... "Oh, by the way... I'm still in here?!" Heh, all good... Nate helped me get my stuff from his trunk, and Jeremy wished me a happy birthday again. Quite the good time out, haha. Yay for friends! :D

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home