Monday, September 04, 2006

My brother and I had to explain to our mom what fetishes were tonight! o_O / Benihana Style Steak

Note: LJ Fine Arts Stereotype / LJ Horror B-Movie / LJ Pride and Prejudice / LJ Dark Crystal blogquizzes. (by Stephanie, Arwen, and fluffyhead)


Wail and Diana's wedding was quite nice, even though we were seated on the wrong side of the small chapel.. Jon and I had seen Pastor Alan before, at Helen and Danny's wedding. Apparently, he specializes in religious ceremonies for non-believers, according to some newspaper article my brother read a while back. It was good seeing Wilson, Mike, Anna, Brigitte, and Ethan again (Auntie Kwai is Wail, Wilson, and Anna's mom... she's our aunt-by-marriage's sister, one of 12 kids in that family!). Jon and I playfully bugged Ethan, who pretended not to see us by covering his eyes with a Mario toy. His sister Brigitte remembered me, anyhow... she's going into Grade 3, and told me their birthdays too. Cute kids... too bad we didn't get a picture with any of them like I told Mom we should! Cousin Aaron and his wife Joyce were in a good mood and seemed more friendly than when we attended their wedding in June... the wedding day can be pretty stressful, for sure! (possibly Uncle Michael had a bunch to do with it, since he wasn't "in charge" of how Aaron and Joyce were away from him, but could be during that day... maybe we'll meet when Grandma gets back!) They told us about their ten-day honeymoon to Florence / Paris / Rome / other destinations. It seemed pretty neat!

The banquet got started an hour and a half late, during which time Steph phoned Jon to say that Daniel and Michelle were giving her a ride home after they had some dinner. (she was surprised to hear that Brigitte and Ethan weren't being little terrors, heh) Jon also phoned Jeremy to see how bottling his beer went: messy process, but it was finished! We won't have it for the 18 litres of Pho night because it won't be ready by then, but at least it keeps improving! I saw my old friend Lavone's long-ago ex Fred there: I definitely remember her three sisters Josanna, Bonnae (who once told me that I was her best friend, despite an age difference of at least four years), and Dorothy! Not sure he would have recognized me, but it was a blast from the past.

During the banquet, my mom said that there'd be no cruise: I was fine with that. If she gets a chance to book a Chinese bus tour lasting a few days, I'm not so sure I'm down with THAT idea... we'll see what happens, though. (I don't do mornings well, and if it starts on the 10th, I'll miss both the Awana orientation PLUS the homemade Pho dinner) Jon and I discussed Awana and how he might do it if he didn't have so many things to do already, and the guy leaders there. Reminded me of a long-ago discussion between Denise / Brian / Eddie, in which Denise questioned Eddie's ability to take care of the Awana kids, and Brian agreed. ("Why do people trust YOU with the kids, dude? I'm not so sure I do!" "Hey man, they just do!" "Shut up, eh... I agree with her!") We also talked about how I'd invited both Jasmine and Teunis via LJ comments: dude, we need a LOT of people to eat 18 litres of Pho! (and I don't THINK Teunis will cause reactions, heh)

There were some kissing games (played before the bride and groom would kiss, after much clanging had been heard) during the banquet, involving trivia questions and marriage wisdom. One of the questions involved asking Diana what Wail's fetish was (she said "beer" since apparently he drinks a lot)... Mom thought the MC said "finish," so Jon and I had the dubious task of trying to explain the real term to her gently! She was quite horrified, of course! ("It has to do with sex... it's a sexual term... it's something that you, um, have to have so, er..." " *cue horrified look* OH!") Uh yeah, I never thought we'd have to do that... but on the bright side, we did get to see our distant cousins and play with them again! (and talk / hug for a bit too) The food was pretty good, too: HONEYDEW SOUP RULES!

Now I'm just talking to Eric and Corey about weird dreams, my sister, alcohol, cute display pictures (babies!), Daniel and Michelle's whereabouts, the subconscious being a funny beast, my surprise at Gmail messages, etc. Good times, indeed... but glad to be home, as always.

Oh yes, I just heard that Steve Irwin (the Australian crocodile hunter dude) has died from a puncture wound to the chest by a stingray. Look the sources up yourself. :P (CRIKEY, indeed...)


Benihana Style Steak

1/4 cup Uncooked rice
6 oz sirloin steak - boneless
1 tablespoon Peanut oil
2 large Mushrooms - sliced
Salt
Pepper

Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside. Heat griddle to 350°F and pour on oil to coat surface. Sear steak on both sides. Cut steak into strips. Return to griddle along with mushroom slices. Turn meat pieces until done to preference. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with boiled rice and magic mustard sauce. Makes 1 serving.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home