Friday, June 23, 2006

Showers / Games finally downloaded! / Thoughts and advice / Pants

Eric got on MSN to joke about my taking the bus or walking to #4 / Alderbridge.. I don't THINK so, buddy! I told him that I was going to take a shower, so I didn't have time to bus anywhere that took an hour to get to. He told me that I was only supposed to take showers in the morning... I know plenty of people who prefer taking them in the afternoon or at night, y'see? 7:15 it is! (he says 7:05, but I dunno... that's like almost NEVER accurate!) He also called me a couple of weird nicknames, but that's par for the course around here. I might be contemplative in the car because of my last entry, and not hyper... we'll see.

Time to have a shower and then eat before I leave! :D
(I also did some LJ testimonial meme, haha...)


I've finally downloaded a 5.13 GB torrent of 22 old adventure games... plus the Scumm VM program needed to run it for Windows XP.

Beneath A Steel Sky
Broken Sword 1: Circle of Blood / Shadow of the Templars
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror
Dig
Flight of the Amazon Queen
Full Throttle
Goblins 1
Indiana Jones 3: The Last Crusade
Indiana Jones 4: The Fate of Atlantis
Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb
Legend of Kyrandia 1
Loom
Maniac Mansion 1
Maniac Mansion 2 (Day of the Tentacle)
Monkey Island 1: The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Monkey Island 3: The Curse of Monkey Island
Passport to Adventure
Sam and Max
Simon the Sorcerer 1
Simon the Sorcerer 2
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders



Corey's thoughts over the past day:

[19:33:02] mrptptpt: are your ScummVM games downloaded yet? I highly recommend Sam & Max or Day of the Tentacle :P Full Throttle and Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis are pretty freaking awesome too.. you can play the Indy game something like three different ways... there's a puzzle toward the start and depending on what method you choose to solve it, the game is more action oriented, puzzle oriented.. or... some other thing.. I forget what the third is :P Sam & Max is hilarious, Day of the Tentacle is great too and involves controlling three main characters at the same time for the majority of the game. Full Throttle is probably the shiniest best looking of all those, but it's about bikers, so it'd probably interest you the least... very cool game though, defnitely don't need to be a biker person to like it.. still has puzzles and things :P

[00:05:47] mrptptpt: there isn't too much to it :P in the program, you just point the program to the directory a game is in, and it'll set it up for you... you may want to get into the options and change the graphics mode to full screen, and turn off the graphics filters so it shows the original graphics instead of trying to make them look nicer (I usually prefer the original graphics, but that's just personal preference.... ) I think there's something about stretching to fit the screen, which you'll want too.

[00:25:04] mrptptpt: okay, just open the program then :P there's a Find Game button, or something along those lines... all you do is point it to wherever a game is :P the ones you're downloading are .rar archive (like a zip file) files, so you may have to unrar them first, but I wouldn't be surprised if the program can handle them rared

[14:40:56] Flami: I right-clicked on the Sam and Max (VGA-CD).rar thing, and it gives me a series of options
[14:42:44] Corey: and I told you which one to use :P Extract Files
[15:13:05] Corey: so you have it unrared... go run the dang thing and point it at the folder you just unrared to :P then you can play
[15:13:50] Corey: this is not a long complicated process :P you're just taking something out of its box (the rar file) and then using it..
[15:14:47] Flami: uh... it says it can't find a game *major roadblock*
[15:16:40] Corey: .........
[15:17:53] Corey: works for me
[15:18:01] Corey: and I downloaded the same exact thing remember :P
[15:18:42] Corey: you must not be going to the right directory or something
[15:24:22] Flami: yeah, I know you did
[15:26:05] Flami: okay.. I see a green screen with some options on it, so I choose "Add Game"... that tells me to select a directory with game data.. I select "C" and then it tells me that it can't find a game in the specified directory
[15:26:31] Corey: probably because you didn't unrar it to "C"
[15:26:47] Corey: you said you made a folder in your ScummVM folder for Sam & Max
[15:26:58] Corey: so it's probably something like C:\ScummVM\Sam & Max
[15:27:17] Corey: or maybe even C:\program files\ScummVM\S&M
[15:30:33] Flami: yeah, I did that... but what am I supposed to do?!
[15:31:03] Corey: go to that directory in scummvm...
[15:31:47] Corey: it can't magically sense games if you just tell it C:\... there's a lot of other stuff in there, unless you literally just put the files in the root C:\ drive, but I kinda doubt that
[16:23:57] Flami: but how to get the path into the scummvm thinger?
[16:24:44] Corey: go click on folder names in there.........
[16:25:12] Corey: click C:, click ScummVM (or whatever the next folder is you need to go to) etc.... it's no different than anything else...
[16:56:26] Corey: .... click C first
[16:56:33] Corey: THEN you'll see the folders within that......
[16:56:48] Corey: JUST LIKE ANY OTHER THING LIKE THIS :P that's how it is in My Computer or anything else too :P
[16:59:33] Flami: clicking gives me the same problem... DOUBLE-clicking, however, seems to solve it :P
[17:08:00] Flami: okay, after sitting through a 3-minute intro (is there any way to SKIP the thing?), I think I've finally gotten to the point where I could play it if I had the time
[17:31:34] Corey: why would you want to skip the intro? that's part of the storyline! :P
[17:54:38] Corey: I think all you do is hit escape or something.... and read the instructions to learn how to save and anything else :P you have a .pdf of the original game instructions and instructions for ScummVM features as well :P I think it's F5 to get to the save / load menu
[17:55:11] Corey: you should probably change it to run full screen too... it'll be hard to see little details in a small window, and you'll need that ability :P


Your Cropped Pants Are
People's Liberation

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home