Sunday, June 11, 2006

Food shopping as a flu shot, June 35th, and Pho

On the way to church today, Eric pronounced me "more nutso than usual" because of my coffee consumption: hey, you have to wake up SOMEHOW! I asked him what he did yesterday after telling him about Awana: worship practice, helping out with the yard sale, watching the Edmonton-Carolina hockey game, and escaping from a cathedral in Half-Life 2. He noticed that A&B Sound had changed its look from a bright orange awning to a subdued purple-and-grey scheme: it wasn't news to me since Sam and I pass it every Saturday on the way to Awana. I told him about the HTML debacle, and went totally random... then he wished that my sister were there to protect him, hahaha. (as if I'd do anything to him!)

At church, I told Danielle that she should really come down to Richmond one of these days to see my place: depends on the day, of course! Halfway through the sermon, I noticed a funny typo in the bulletin and pointed it out to Jeremy: June 35th doesn't exist on any calendar that we know of! ("Late registration [for Summer Conference] starts June 18th and ends June 35th.")

After service, I talked to Kevin for a bit about when Jon would be getting back, then he noticed the Math Club T-shirts that Mike / Joey / Chris / Citrus were wearing. No, they're not all that smart! Jeremy noticed them and said that he'd designed some with the UBC math geeks: they couldn't produce one because of copyright issues. (it took the Oilers' logo and replaced "Oilers" with "Euler's" as in the mathematician... pronounced the same, and still on Jeremy's website!) Jen told me that her mom was in Peru for three weeks on some archaeological dig, then in Toronto for a week: meanwhile, she has to cook for herself and such. She said that she didn't have anyone to watch World Cup soccer with (except maybe my sister), so Nathan offered his professor to her... I don't think that's what she had in mind! I told her to get ready for beer / bubble tea outings when Jon got back: she knows it! Erin asked me where Steph was, so I told her that she was doing the wheelchair spinal-cord injury thing today. I asked Benny if he was cold, but he wasn't: it was just hot enough to be bearable then.

After Sunday School, I talked to the twins Adam and Andrew for a while: their birthday is Sept. 20, and they're excited about turning 16 so they can get their Learner license. I also talked to Jen, Vivian, and Karen for a bit, then followed Eric to the car where he put his guitar away. He told me that he wouldn't forget about me, and said we were going to Pho with a few others: fine by me! The best Pho a few doors down was full (as it always is by 1), and the second-best Pho across the street would take a while... so it was the shady Pho next door, perforce. This is what happened on the way to that place:

Christon: "No, I need to food shop for the BBQ on Wednesday." (explaining why Nathan wouldn't want to give him a ride home)
What everyone else heard: "I need to get my FLU SHOT for the BBQ!"
Danielle, seeking clarification: "But what for?!"
Christon: "Beef, hot dogs, stuff like that..."
Everyone else: "... um... are you sure?!"
Finally, we asked him what he meant... we were like, "Is it even flu shot season? Even if it were, why would you need a flu shot for a BBQ?!"


At the restaurant, we noticed that the menu had changed: the Chef Specials were things like alligator, snake salad, goat, deer, and quail. Jen noticed that the back of the menu had a hilarious Engrishy thing on it: "Look under drinks, guys!" So we did... apparently, they sell COCK for $1.50! (yes, they did mean "Coke" :P) Too bad Jen's camera phone doesn't have uploading capability, otherwise we could submit it to Jay Leno! (Nathan saw our local Pho Bich Nga [before they renamed it] on there once, haha) The service was pretty bad (not knowing what was in the food, taking a LONG time to even bring us our food, etc.), but we agreed that we'd have to return at least once for the menu: next week with Nathan's digicam it is! Nathan was trying so hard not to actually read from the menu when he ordered the student special which came with a soft drink (in his case, Coke) of your choice plus a beef noodle bowl, haha!

Christon shared his concerns about cliques and not talking to other people outside of them, then Danielle disliked the rules and structures he was thinking of. We discussed gender stereotypes and roles (particularly the way our church did it), guys seeing things (like dirt!) differently than girls, and our personal opinions of various things. (Dylan shared a bunch of things in particular) When Dylan finally got his "Cambodian ramen," we figured it really meant Sapporo Ichiban instant noodles with liver / tongue / kidney / shrimp / brown things. Danielle wanted to try some tongue, and Nathan made a perverted remark about that... I told him that I blamed his Trinity advisors for that! "Yup... the more repressed you are, the more dirty you'll get!"

Sparked by Jen's random question about virginity, we discussed everyone's personal opinions / Biblical perspective / sex for a while. Nathan and I joked that we'd take the specifics of Dylan's personal sharing about his previous girlfriend (before Andrea... we were getting certain images in our heads!) and post them on blogs / announce them during worship service / write a song about them when Jon got back. At the end of the meal, Christon said that was genuine fellowship without anyone being forced to talk to anyone else (which you can't really do anyhow), and stated that it was his goal for the Fellowship. We joked about Danielle getting into hockey now that the Oilers were playing, haha.

It was so hot outside after lunch: Eric was wearing a black dress shirt, his black "Trogdor the Burninator!" T-shirt, and black / dark pants. He was really feeling the heat, so I made a comment to him about his underwear... he told me, "It's just underwear!" True, but it's still a layer of sorts! We stopped by Future Shop to browse a little, and discussed Warcraft references ("twisted nethers") / I Mother Earth / Edwin (Not Quite Sonic) / my emails / hugging my sister / armpit sweat / the windows / wishing for the Parisienne's air conditioning / my butt (I can't control it for a week! :P) / other things. Good times!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home