Friday, November 04, 2005

Desserts, weight, romance, and being treated like crap

Tonight, I talked to Sheena and Chalaine about "Getting to Know You" day tomorrow for the Benjamin elementary school kids... my sister's doing stuff for it, heh. Someone suggested that she wear her jerseys, but since she has 15 of them, it would be like: "Hi, kids! I'm just really fat-looking!" Our Bible Study group didn't have enough present / prepared members to make doing a group study worthwhile. So instead Ivan, Karen, Erin, Stella, and I hung out at the back of the sanctuary and talked.. Frances offered us Girl Scout cookies before she went off to her own group. We talked about Halloween costumes: Karen and Ivan dressed up as a nun and priest one year, and were very realistic... up until Karen giggled and they held hands on Robson Street, that is! Apparently Kids Night this year was really good: five of the teen girls dressed up as Tuxedo Mask and various Sailor Moon characters. Karen showed us cell phone camera pictures of Ivan trying on various costumes at Shoppers Drug Mart: he looked very happy and seemed to be taking immense pleasure doing so!

After Ivan left to go play hockey, we girls talked about our ideal men: Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice / the strong, silent type (because we're so crazy already!) / caring / Christian / people who don't let their family get too involved in their personal life... good times! Karen told us the story of how she and Ivan got together after she liked him for ten years and he broke up with someone else: of course, Billy and Stella's experience was different! Then we got to talking about Asian people of a certain generation (our parents' age) and how they think you won't know something if they don't tell you explicitly. (for instance, Karen's mom once told her that she'd lose fat if she exercised... DUH, everyone knows that!) Erin said that one of the older pharmacists at her workplace told her not to eat any chips because he was worried about her FIGURE (everyone at work heard that!), but he refused to say anything to another co-worker eating cookies because SHE was married. Nice logic there!

Then we talked about hurtful things our parents have said to us, and how much garbage we get from them because of our personal lives and such. Afterwards, we got to talking about working out / junk food and (Chinese) desserts: red-bean cake, tiramisu, Dairy Queen ice cream cakes, cheesecake, CHOCOLATE, pastries, cookies, snacks, parental and our eating habits, etc. That definitely made me hungry, but it was too bad we didn't go out to eat later... as the timestamp on this post proves, I was home early! When I went downstairs, Angus was telling Jason that there were too many girls around: probably because Steph and Melia were talking about skirts, jeans, stripping, and other things! (Melia bought a $10 cheap skirt for Vanessa because it was so cheap: it didn't fit her, but it fit my sister who got it by default!) But they did talk about the BC Lions football game tomorrow that some of them are going to: I might have gone, but I have no interest in football, even if the team WAS riding an undefeated streak of I'm not sure how many games!

Eric, Steph, and I went home together and saw a 9.9ยข gas price while we were at it: while listening to Sportstalk, we tried to figure out whether the Canucks had won or lost tonight against the Columbus Blue Jackets. (the last score we heard about was 1-1. and the first-period play by the Canucks was sluggish!) I tried getting Steph to check the score on her cell phone, but that cost money. After a while of listening to Dan Russell treat callers like crap (especially this guy who called from Calgary who tried saying that the Calgary fans are jealous of Bertuzzi, even if he lacks maturity), Eric decided to turn the annoying background noise off. (why call in to the show if you're going to get treated like crap from the host?!) I checked Yahoo Sports, and we won 5-3. Also, I called Sam twice: once, he apparently thought I'd called the wrong number since there was a LOT of background noise! Attempt #2 was perfect: he can give me a ride tomorrow, so I'm happy enough. ;)

I'm still kinda hungry from that conversation, but I can't go out to eat tomorrow... well, I could. But I probably won't feel like it since I'll get up late and we play the Flames at 7. Maybe on Sunday, if Eric H. and I go for Korean BBQ food like we've been planning to do since Valentine's Day. (we had pizza instead that night) No dessert items or chips in the apartment, either: guess I'll have to make do with Oreos / oatmeal raisin cookies / chocolate ice wafers for now. ;)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home