Thursday, July 21, 2005

Foodblogs and Pho / Panties in Toilet / Foreign Languages

Foodblog about native Vietnamese food
Ghetto Foodies

From my brother's blog:

On the 'Pho' section of that blog is a recipe to make your very own Pho, which I promptly forwarded to my Asiaphile-chef and good buddy Jeremy, who upon receiving it was tremendously excited about making it. Now commonly, pho recipes call for 5-7 pounds of oxtail, shank, etc., and produce enough stock for a small army of 8-20 bowls, which certainly adds up to a daunting undertaking for even the very strong of heart, so I sort of doubted Jeremy's commitment to his pledge. Imagine my surprise upon calling him on Thursday afternoon to discover that not only did he buy a mega-huge pot to house all that beef stock, but he also bought - get this - $140 in organic meat! Here's the damage:

Prime Rib Finger Bones: $34.08
Beef Bones-Shank: $18.00 (this sounds like a ripoff: $18 for bones?)
Fresh Oxtail (3): $15.17, $18.17, $17.41.
Open Beef: $ 37.47
Total bill for the purchases come to: $140.30.
(The uber-pot came to $60 at T&T, and additional bean sprouts, basil, cilantro, mint, what-have-you-not came to $30)

If there's any consolation, there was no tax on the beef, unless it was included in the original price. I'd certainly believe them if that was the case!
Now if he'd not bought organic, I'm sure the price would be substantially cheaper, but I think Jeremy was going all out on this endeavour. The bean sprouts weren't organic and the noodles were refined, however, so there's still room to get even more hardcore with this next time, if there is a next time.


Now I'm all caught up with Jon, Steph, and Dave. :D


Oh, and I don't want to know why my sister's underwear ended up in the toilet:




Edit: She was reaching for her towel, but since her underwear was on top of the towel, it fell in. This is why I keep my toilet shut when I'm taking a shower. :P


You Should Learn Swedish

Fantastisk! You're laid-back about learning a language - and about life in general.
Peaceful, beautiful Sweden is ideal for you... And you won't even have to speak perfect Swedish to get around!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home