Sunday, July 17, 2005

Hilarious mistakes, STAR WARS merch, babies, and silly parental quotes

We saw Jeff and Anita at church today: they said that their cruise was very relaxing, ideal for a honeymoon, and all they did was eat. Jeff recommended it to everyone... sure, when we have a lot of money to spend! Anita's sister Esther gave out her wedding invitations, which look very nice! I have to RSVP by Saturday, so I should remember to do so. That seems like a fast deadline, but maybe they didn't see me last week or whatever. Esther and Wes have changed their wedding date from Sept. 11, thank goodness.. it's now Sept. 3, so no bad associations with terrorism to come. They're getting married in the same church that Joe and Helen had their wedding at.. good times! You finish one wedding, and you prepare for another... good thing Sabrina isn't going to get married anytime soon, haha!

Eunice was signing a sympathy card for Daniel and Michelle, and accidentally referred to Daniel as "Danielle." (Danielle and Michelle can be harsh lesbians, hahaha) She realized what she'd done, but didn't have extra envelopes: she put "oops, I mean DANIEL." She figures Daniel will get a kick out of it, and Danielle was very glad someone had flubbed up on his name instead of hers for once! (whenever Eunice goes to call Danielle's cell number, she almost always dials Daniel's instead since he's right above hers in her cell phone directory) People always call Danielle "Daniel," and she wondered when someone would make that mistake! I made my own mistake when writing Nathan's sympathy card: I always put smiley faces on greeting cards, and managed to refrain while writing Daniel and Michelle's sympathy card. However, I didn't on Nathan's card... I was like, "Shoot! Now what do I do?" Eventually, I managed to make the smiley face into a somewhat sad face, complete with tears.

Cindy mentioned that she was COLD... uh, it was at least 24° out by 11:30! But then again, she's always cold for some reason: we joked that she didn't have her parka or scarf with her. (it was kinda funny, but poor Cindy!)

Later, I went to 7-11 and HAD to get myself the Star Wars Darth Vader cup / topper / Yoda thing. (Corey suggested I get the grape-flavored Darth Dew, but I got some Cristal Light raspberry stuff instead) Why not treat myself since the car was parked mere steps away from a 7-11, eh? Then I went to Chapters and read some David Sedaris... I also saw a Gollum book (Gollum: A Behind the Scenes Guide of the Making of Gollum by Andy Serkis) that would be perfect for Nathan! But I decided not to buy it, heh.

For dinner, the family went to Eunice's house. I got to see her sister Winnie, her brother-in-law Wei, and her baby niece Avery. Avery's so cute! She likes me, wanted us to pray more (she likes it!), danced around, and was looking around for my brother when he went into the kitchen. Played with her for a while, which was good... it's the first time I've seen her, so it's very good that she warmed up to me. I have a way with the little kids, heh. :D

Now Jon, Eunice, and I are just talking about our friends and family... good times! My mom thinks M. would be a good daughter-in-law, since her dream of A. is shattered since A. is taken. Phil wants to challenge Eunice to a driving test using his Westfalia van, and Jon joked that we could use Eric's Parisienne as practice for the mean streets of Vancouver. (he had no demerits on his driving test, and she had ten) ;) Eddie's doing an American road trip, and will be back at the beginning of August. We're talking about Vernon's old overstuffed chair that was always by the window... it was unsteady and we'd risk falling out the window when we sat in it, eep. The three of us are also talking about Dave, Dawn, Alan, Tracy, Cindy, Dianne, Vivian, Jeremy, Ty, conversion, Yo-Yo Ma (Eunice's family always calls him Yo Mama!), Regent, courses, papers, David and his wife, Elaine, Christianity, India, sisters-in-law, whether my mom could do the Grouse Grind (we think not!), hockey being back (I'll always remember this quote by Danielle: "Scheduling studying around the playoffs is your STRESS?!"), microfiches, Chinatown, music (Avery likes rock-and-roll), work, excuses, movies, religions, siu long bao, history, chemistry, Richmond get-togethers at my place, and other such things. Coming over here brings back memories of when we were little kids and would always come here for dinner... us three, Eunice, her sisters, Dennis, Brian, and others. Ah, the reminiscing!


I leave you with FOUR hilarious parental quotes from today:

1. Dad, at the restaurant: "Put the plate on the turntable!" (he meant the LAZY SUSAN, and insisted that the two were the same thing: my sister and I just gave each other a look)

2. Mom: "Take the garbage out... it's so STINGY!" (I told her that "stinky" and "stingy" were different things, and then she questioned the existence of Dictionary.com ... I would have showed her the site, but the wireless network was down, and my sister's laptop gave me a blue screen of death when I tried starting Mozilla)

3. Mom: "Aren't you concerned about your future daughter-in-law?" (uh, my brother's future wife would be my SISTER-in-law... I'll worry about my future daughter-in-law when I'm married and have a son, thanks!)

4. Mom: "You are my lover... you are my lovely daughter..." (she sings stuff like this ALL THE TIME, so I tried telling her that "lover" wasn't the right word AT ALL to use in that context... she agrees incest is wrong, but insisted that "lover" didn't ALWAYS mean its real meaning... yeah right!)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home