Saturday, November 06, 2010

I disagree with punishing the kid for just having fun!

When Henry picked me up in the rain, he said that the Passion concert last night was awesome! I'm sure that having 10,900 people singing along to Chris Tomlin or whoever would have been pretty powerful! I had seen his picture of the crowd at Rogers Arena, and said "WOW!" to myself, haha. He asked about my week, so I knew what to omit from the story, haha. (same as when Chrystal asked later) When we got to church, Elaine had lost her voice from screaming yesterday at the same concert. Benedict / Martin / Victor / Hilary / Sabrina / others had been at the same event. Hilary / Martin / Michelle / Golden all had crazy ribbons and such in their hair, and of course people took pictures!

First, I witnessed an incident of parenting which I disagreed with. Little Isaac was obviously being exuberant and having fun with his friends, so tossed his Awana handbook into the air. He managed to catch it, but then his dad Andrew took it away. ("It looks like you don't want this!") A minute later, Isaac started crying, and his dad took him out of the room for a while! There is no need for the kid to associate fun with tears, you know? If it had been a BIBLE that he was tossing around (assuming he could do that with a heavier book), then I could see where the reproof would come in. I wanted to tell the kid that what he did wasn't WRONG, but of course didn't want to interfere with someone's parenting. Yes, the Awana handbook is important and needs a bit of respect, but is it THAT important over your kid's sense of fun?!

I interacted with Olivia, Anne (who hid behind her mom Sophia), Gabriel and Ian M. (their dad David says Rosenda is coming back on Monday from the Philippines), Amos, Harrison, Erin, Nina, Emily, Gerard, and other kids. When there was a lull in the number of kids (and we'd moved the table to another part of the room - Mike said this was weird, and Emily M. also commented on it), I ensured that Daniel could read Chinese - he said that the notice was about music lessons! As Scott said later, I'd just ask my brother if I wanted those! After I got a free used yellow file folder (Sean's) for Eric's printout and stuff, Chrystal said that there's a new supervisor at her workplace; it doesn't affect her since it's a different department. Helped Chrystal count cash, said hi to Chris, Sabrina said she wasn't sick, and Golden asked if I were cold. Auntie Vivian brought in a few space heaters; it seems that the church's heater was broken! Perfect timing... NOT! When I got home, I laid out my clothes strategically since I assume it'll still be broken tomorrow. Hopefully, little Mattias provides a distraction again from Mr. Creep! The kids started rehearsing their Christmas song ALREADY!

Stanley said that an especially fizzy grapefruit drink from the kitchen could be described as spicy - nice! I got a bunch of leftover crackers, some with Japanese seaweed. Ada said she couldn't give me a ride home, but had talked to Henry. He was busy showing Nina / Carley / Emily / Gerard some photos and videos from last night's concert, and then he was trying to make them NOT smile or laugh. Ada then brought over a huge box of Maynards candy for us to use later: Fruit Mania, Swedish Berries, Peach Fuzz, and Sour Patch Kids! She was going to use it on Halloween, but they didn't get any Trick-or-Treaters! Her sons Ian and Sean were proud of their haul from Kids Night, though: "Look at our huge bags, Mom!" Chrystal and I totally thought we should Trick-or-Treat next year, even though we'll get heckled! "But we're just really tall kids!" "Sure... *slams door* " Then we wanted pizza since the kids are having a pizza day in a couple of weeks, but I didn't order any when I got home since I need to save money for the future! I'm having spicy Caribbean rice instead, man! On the way home, I noticed that at least one house had their Christmas lights on already - SO EARLY!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home