Thursday, July 22, 2010

Strawberry beer, HARRY VAGG, and break-ins... happy 61st birthday, Dad!

I got out of the house in time to take the bus to the Canada Line, but JUST missed a train - as in, it pulled out of the station when I got to the platform. Good thing I had reading material! Then I managed to get a 9 bus to Lin's, but I was there at least half an hour early - thank goodness Chapters was nearby! After ascertaining that I could buy things and still get my Chapters discount (because they could look it up in the system), I bought Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Plunges into National Parks (Bathroom Readers' Hysterical Society), a half-off Sports Illustrated commemorative edition of Canada's show at the 2010 Olympics, and Rock & Roll's Most Wanted: The Top 10 Book of Lame Lyrics, Egregious Egos, and Other Oddities (Stuart Shea) - the last book was only $1, and I picked up some free bookmarks also! I heard Steph's voice, saying that I was LATE - hey, at least the restaurant was only across the street or so! Waited for her while she bought a somewhat-fitting card, and borrowed the clerk's pen so we two could sign it at least! When Jon and Harmony got to the restaurant, it turned out that they found a card which I'd forgotten giving them - I guess Dad gets double cards this year, haha!

Nathan was actually on time, having gotten there at 6:56 - Dad said that London had changed him, heh. We discussed people breaking into my parents' place yesterday: they took money, a diamond ring which Mom rarely wears, and some other stuff. Steph investigated the investigation officer, who Mom said was good-looking and had wanted to see Steph's cop pictures. We all laughed at Mom when she said something funny which I forget now, haha. Jon was teaching piano at the church today (having no real space in his new place right now), and said that the break-in was all the people could discuss with him today! Steph asked how that had gone, and he said it wasn't too bad except for people (his students?) playing ping-pong in the middle of the lesson, heh. We joked that Nathan should have gotten married by now, as per his brother Daniel's grand prediction last summer before he left us for England!

Also discussed the fireworks, the Alibi Room, Uncle Stephen's talks, rude Asian lady border guards ("Why are you going to Seattle in the middle of the week?! Don't you have jobs?!"), )the time that we ate 35 steamers of SLB (Tony was a BEAST!), Dave and Tiffany's wedding (Mom and Steph will be away from July 31 to August 5), my short shorts (Jon was horrified - "my eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!"), spotted dick jokes, Alan and Liz and their baby Clara, Toronto, a Seattle baseball game, and a business card that Steph got from a transit supervisor. "Oh, the name on here is Harold Vagg... so... Harold Vag? Vague?" "Oh no, it's Harry Vaj." She decided to photocopy it at work, and couldn't stop laughing for an hour after her co-worker commented that the photocopier just SPAT OUT that hairy VAG! Why the heck wouldn't you just go by HAROLD?! Then we joked that we should ask Uncle Hansel if he knew a guy with that name at work, since he's also at Translink. His reaction would probably be "Excuse me?" Hahaha!

We went to Jon and Harmony's new place later for cake and strawberry beer (ice cream) and coffee - I didn't want to accept a ride from the parents later, but figured it might be okay as long as Mom wasn't too annoying. I'd just let her talk with a minimal response from me, that's all. There were a lot of boxes and such around, but they haven't really unpacked a bunch of things yet - that's okay since we understand. Steph HAD to yell out of her open car windows to say that she loved her sister, and Harmony seemed amused by it! (we went in three separate cars) While my parents and grandma weren't inside yet, I said that Teunis was still staying at my place. Later when everyone WAS there (and making much of my "scandalous" short shorts - Dad gave me A LOOK, which clearly communicated the disapproval he had over my attire - I didn't care if there was a certain angle at which it appeared that I wasn't wearing pants!), I said that I'd shown the first surgery photo to Billie, which of course made my parents think she was a guy. At least Jon, Steph, Nate, and Harmony got it! Nathan also collapsed on the floor when he tripped over a wire, but he was okay!

I told Nathan that "we" (Teunis and I) were eating sausages and discussing some kind of phallic symbol / culture documentary. Of course, I used "we" to obfuscate the fact that a guy is at my place right now (and will have been here for about a month), because my parents would freak out, even if WE ARE JUST FRIENDS! He laughed and said that I should see this phallic symbol which he got in Hong Kong... it's apparently a popular anti-itch cream called MOPIDICK! HAHAHAHAHA! We told Grandma that the English name was very funny, just in case she was wondering why everyone was laughing! Nate and I also discussed Facebook statuses, his (online) friends Leo and Silvia, and more. Someone brought out a visor with some "Honger" hair on top of it - my brother should never dye his hair blond, let's just say! Harmony noticed my newest hat, and commented on it - finally, not my shorts! I told her that a Sunday School parent had given it to me! She actually gave me a package of chicken salad, and some blackberry jam from Knott's Berry Farm... Mom also gave me two packages of BBQ popcorn which expire in August / Bubble Roller gum / assorted gum and candy, and has promised me some pants / a replacement digicam card / rat traps. (I thought she said "red" traps...)

Discussed Jon and Harmony's upcoming trip to Italy in September, milk / black coffee, Grandma being 100% confused now (she's forgotten about a trip to Nanaimo that they took last week!), the SERVANTS talk which the Committee is trying to schedule, the Night Market, SALT, INCEPTION (to which I was NOT invited!), Jon's show on Monday, Steph and Mom being away for Dave's wedding (I do wish Mom hadn't said "we'll pay you" when Nate was around since he MIGHT get the wrong impression...), and other things. On the way home, my mom said that she and Dad are going to Europe themselves in October for almost three weeks, so I could come over and stay there. Then she offered to pay for a Chinese bus tour trip which I could take with Grandma to the Interior - yes, I was in Chemainus and Victoria with Aunt Janis already! She doesn't remember that from five years ago?! After that, she thought that I would remember being in that area when I was THREE YEARS OLD, mainly because we had to wait for a ferry for three hours since the parents hadn't reserved seats on one. Sorry I don't remember that... *sarcasm*


Grandma, on whether she liked my brother's strawberry beer: "It's not hot water!" We got her to try some in the first place by telling her that it was strawberry JUICE. She obviously doesn't trust us or something, because she sniffed it and then made a face before trying it! HAHAHAHA!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home