Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Taiwanese soy milk, "teaching," Justin Bieber the lawyer, and Thomas Paine

This thing just restarted! I might as well go to bed anyway...

Relevant Taiwan conversation:

[21:01:23] Flami: mmm. peanut butter pretzels.
[21:01:41] Corey: butt pretzels
[21:01:46] Corey: I need to go eat lunch, I'll be back
[21:08:18] Flami: that's disgusting
[21:38:59] Corey: eating lunch isn't disgusting
[21:40:54] Flami: I guess it depends on what you had for lunch
[21:48:22] Corey: well, nothing disgusting. I'm kind of over this soy milk stuff they give me all the time here, but it's not disgusting, I guess
[21:50:34] Flami: have you had soy milk before going to Taiwan?
[22:39:38] Corey: uh, I think this is something else. they make it here at Jane's house, and apparently it's a Taiwan thing
[00:18:10] Corey: I met a 21st century Japanese person last night
[00:18:37] Corey: and Australian, Canadian, and I assume everyone else was from Taiwan :P
[00:14:33] Flami: I'm going to read the world's first novel!
[00:14:43] Corey: what's that?
[00:15:49] Flami: THE TALE OF GENJI... 11th-century Japanese court life
[00:17:46] Corey: sounds exciting
[00:18:49] Flami: well, of course it would be a 21st century Japanese person, unless they were reanimated or something :P
[00:18:59] Flami: what'd you do?
[00:19:30] Corey: went to some English class thingy with a guy I met at another English class
[00:22:03] Flami: exciting
[00:24:04] Corey: well, one of the girls there (other foreign people) said she knows someone that runs a school here that's always looking for new teachers, so it may end up being a good thing
[00:27:51] Flami: did you ever get hired at the place you were telling me about recently?
[00:35:48] Corey: which one? :P I did demos at a couple places
[00:36:51] Corey: one, yes, my classes there start in two weeks. the other I haven't heard from. the other one also has a shitty contract which basically has 100 clauses in it about how they can steal your money if they feel like it (at least from what I could find online), so I wasn't actually very interested in it in the first place
[00:37:44] Flami: what the heck?! that certainly sounds like CRAP
[00:38:35] Corey: a lot of schools here have stuff where they can take money away if you do bad things.. the bad things are generally stuff they could almost always make up stuff about, like students complaining
[00:39:02] Corey: they also like to hold your money for a month or two because they're afraid that the mean foreign people will get paid and leave them suddenly with no teacher
[00:39:32] Flami: HA. Has that ever happened?
[00:40:19] Corey: the people leaving part probably has
[00:43:06] Flami: okay.... would YOU do that?
[00:48:13] Corey: I don't know. they don't exactly give a shit about you here, so I don't know if I should do them any favors
[00:48:33] Corey: there's no loyalty, and they only care about making money
[00:48:55] Corey: they don't even tell you how to do the job they hired you for... they just tell you when to go teach a class.
[00:49:12] Corey: this new school seems like an actual decently-run business, so far, so we'll see
[00:50:00] Corey: Jane says even at "real jobs" as in big companies, they don't teach you how to do the job because they're afraid if you do a good job, you'll basically steal their job by being better. so absolutely no training unless you happen to work with someone nice
[00:50:13] Corey: I don't know how the hell their companies even function with that kind of atittude
[00:50:59] Corey: English teachers will help you because they're from other countries where people actually have souls, I guess? :P
[00:52:21] Flami: that does sound pretty crazy - no job training there, I guess!
[00:54:36] Corey: some schools have had me watch classes, and Jane's dad is amazed that they "let" me do that.... I'm annoyed because while they allow me to watch classes, they're not explaining a damn thing about how their classes work, or showing me their book, or anything actually useful... plus in the US, I'd get paid for that
[01:01:01] Flami: that is certainly frustrating - did you try explaining this to Jane's dad?
[01:05:54] Corey: that doesn't exactly work.... everyone here that wants to help me out is nice, but doesn't listen to a damn thing I say. they just want to feel important for helping me or something, and they tell me how everything works
[01:07:19] Flami: lovely... they don't really want to know about how you FEEL, I take it


Edit, since I got this one overnight: [01:44:13] Corey: not really, and then if I'm annoyed afterwards, people are upset with me since everyone was trying to help me out or whatever... which I am glad about, but it really gets on my nerves when people won't let me have any input on things

THAT SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE MY MOTHER! "You shouldn't be annoyed - we were trying to HELP you!" Uh, no?

I just read about a Philadelphia lawyer named Justin Bieber - poor guy!

Trivia fact for Tuesday, June 22: For what trade did Revolutionary War hero Thomas Paine serve a six-year apprenticeship as a teenager in England? Corset making, which was his father's trade.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home