Sunday, May 02, 2010

It was just me and Jeremy at Pho! / Meeting Jen and others at the Whip / Iridescent Trout

Before I left for church this morning, I stuffed Amanda's jacket into my blue bag - it fit, all right! When Ivan picked me up in his blue car, his mom and siblings were there also. In order to appear more polite in front of my mom's friend, I said "morning" to Auntie Ronne / put a bit more emphasis on thanking Ivan for the ride / said hi to Natalie and Nathan, who soon were playing some (dangerous) car games involving hand slapping. At one point, I jokingly wondered if they were killing themselves over there, and also made the apparently funny observation that those were some dangerous games! (Nathan wanted to hit his sister's nose!) They'd watched the hockey game and ICE AGE last night, apparently. When we got to the parkade, there was nobody watching it - Nathan and I went up the stairs and into the sanctuary.

We talked about there not being anyone around at 9:40 AM, Phil and Grace being at Whistler, staying for the sermon since he's now in Grade 4, the school Ivan went to in North Vancouver, his going to Thompson, and placing his bag on the seat. (I didn't care if he did - plenty of room this week - but he didn't want to) Asked Karmie whether we were meeting this Wednesday - yup! I felt someone sit down near me - it was Jeremy, so I said hi and made a mental note to ask him about lunch later. Jordan and Thomas showed up, as well. Later, Pastor John brought up money and other things - that provided amusement for Jeremy and me, all right! Then Joey wondered who the rose was for, but Daniel had the details on his cell phone: Anita had a baby girl at 4 AM this morning! That was all Jeremy needed to observe to me that babies were inconsiderate jerks! I said that at least I was born at 9:30 PM (decent), but Jon was born at 3 AM! (don't know about Steph, though)

After the quick prayer at the end of service, I asked Jeremy about lunch - he was up for it, although he didn't know if anyone else would be around! That's true, but it didn't matter as long as I could spend time with friends! While people were going up for the Communion, I didn't see Dave OR Mr. Creep, so figured they weren't around. Went to the fellowship hall to get some coffee / cheese sticks / strawberries / goldfish crackers, talked to Julie C. about sugar for the coffee (in the kitchen?), and then bugged Hien about Minute Rice with mushroom soup. Turns out she doesn't like the texture of mushroom soup, either. Since I had a cup of coffee in one hand, my "air-typing" suffered, but I said I could be like "Hey, Hien! I had Minute Rice with mushroom soup as a cream base again!" She then moaned about how cruel I was to her, haha. Pastor John asked me and Jeremy whether we noticed any differences without 30 people there - definitely! Then Jeremy wondered whether I'd noticed that the Doxology key was too high - I had, and wondered whether it was JUST me! Complimented Lucas and Hannah N. on their white orchid, heh.

Turned out to be a good thing that Mr. Creep wasn't around, because Micah came barreling into the room. He headed straight for the stage and the shiny drum set. I went over there and said hi, then kept an eye on him while telling Jonathan Chan that he could teach THIS kid to play drums in the future! Micah was hesitant to play the drums, but got into banging the cymbals and such before asking me where Mommy was. I hadn't seen her around, even! Frances came in a couple minutes later, so Micah looked at her and said "no no no" while banging on the drums. I laughed and told Frances that her son was conflicted! He knows he can't play with them, yet he does it anyway! Frances asked him if he wanted to go home and see Baby, but he said NO. He was probably thinking, "I have a nice shiny drum set here - why do I want to see my brother?!" Hahaha. She wondered where Tim and Maxine were, so I said that they were at the retreat this weeks, and that I'd seen them last week. After a few minutes, Micah got tired of it, and they left. At the door, he got distracted by Julie S.'s stickers, which Mattias didn't seem too interested in.

Just before going upstairs, I asked Jeremy to wait for me after Sunday School so we could see who was up for lunch. He agreed, and then I talked to Andrea about her birthday party last week - she said it was a surprise, and I said I'd heard about it the day after at lunch! Welcomed Chuck back, of course! Saw Winnie with her two oldest kids - Abby, Nathaniel, Noah, and Benjamin were using the area right under the stairwell as a playground of sorts. Told Winnie that I'd received her Evite to Megan K.'s baby shower (sent on Cindy's behalf), and said I wasn't sure how I'd get there. She reassured me by saying that it was the least of my worries, especially since it was six weeks away, but she'd arrange something. Who knows but that I might be able to make it to that AND Chung Ming's dinner, but it all depends on who's going. We'll see. Said hi to Winnie's daughter Megan T., who showed me a bookmark with stickers on it, and told me about an angel. Picked up some toy trucks and handed them back to Megan's brother Connor before going upstairs.

Ramen, Shira, Amanda, Amos, Conor, Harrison, Donald, David, Evelyn, Mattias, and two new kids named Alexandra and Ada (unrelated) were in the toddler Sunday School class today. I told Harrison that he could have a sticker if he looked for a big wheel (which he wanted) in all the Lego that I dumped out of the box, IF he cleaned things up. He tried saying it was clean a few times, but I went and looked - to make things faster, I took his unfinished car. I think everyone got stickers at some point, and of course I gave Conor his frog stickers! Jessie liked my dragon hat - she was born in July 1976, so just a few months before me. Ramen came over with a counting book, so I read it to him. Alexandra talked a lot, too. Various kids took home the Sunday School teaching aids, which helped with the weight of my bag.

When Conor's brother Sean came in, I asked why he'd wondered if it was May yet about six weeks ago - turns out his birthday is May 23. Amanda's sister Hannah came in, so I told her that Amanda had left her jacket at the park yesterday, but we picked it up. At least she thanked me, although I didn't really expect Amanda to - she did give me a paper bird which she'd colored and put stickers on, though! Auntie Ying thanked me right before David started crying and his mom came in. Went downstairs as fast as I could (which actually IS NOT that fast!), and saw Jeremy waiting for me before I was halfway down the stairs. He said that nobody was around (as we'd thought), and the younger guys probably had family stuff to do. Then he suggested Pho - my wallet loves him for that suggestion, haha! I said that he'd probably beat me there, depending on bus schedules (it would be a VERY long walk up Broadway for me, despite the fact he's training for the Sun Run next week) - that was fine with him. In order to minimize the chances of seeing my mom, I didn't see if my grandma was sitting in the chairs near the stairs, and went AROUND the crowd in the foyer instead of wading straight through like I might normally do. Saw Rachel and her grandma at the bus stop, so the old lady gave me a couple of Werther's Originals - those came in handy after lunch, since I actually did NOT have any gum in the blue bag!

The bus actually came relatively quickly for a Sunday, and it turned out that I saw Jeremy biking up the hill while I was on the bus, so his "riding my behind" comment later was quite accurate! Discussed his boring auditing course, Jen's birthday party, Facebook, Tony's comments on how Harmony had probably influenced Jon to get a FB account, Twitter, Jon inviting Jeremy to the Whip for Cask Ale via text message, Mother's Day plans (my parents being in China or the air would make a phone call QUITE hard!), the Internet, memes, movies, "Not Always Right," LOLcats, OMGcats, a 72-year-old healthy woman with the body of a 30-year-old, videos, Dave probably figuring that today would be a good day to NOT be at church since no one would notice, Sunday Dinner, the Sun Run, training, the playoffs, and more.

His cousin once got in trouble at the border since he didn't know what to say to the guards who asked what the purpose of his trip was! ("I'm going to drop off a package to my friend, and I'll be back in a couple of minutes!" might be the truth, but it WILL get you "We have this little room here... a PACKAGE, you say?" hahaha) Jeremy wondered if I'd like to go to the Whip - sure, if he didn't mind my hanging out at his place for a bit. Since he didn't, it was on. We said hi and bye to Jonathan Chan and Uncle Patrick - Jonathan's grandma even waved at me, so I returned the greeting. When it came time to pay the bill, I gave him my toonie from my portion as change from his $10 bill - I joked that this could be one of the last affordable meals we could have since the HST got passed. He said that Toronto had yet another tax on food - I knew this, and detailed my mom's confusion over this! ("But I paid the tax and tip!" "No, Mom... there's ANOTHER tax!")

I went to Kingsgate Mall for a few minutes when the bus finally arrived at the stop. Finding the prices at Shoppers Drug Mart too expensive for toothpicks, I went to the dollar store - they do have weird stuff! I actually made the worker do her job by showing me exactly where they were located ("turn there and then go straight" is NOT very helpful!), then finally found some gum which was right in front of me, but not in the most intuitive location. Was briefly tempted by shiny sticker sheets which were $1 for five, but didn't get any - maybe I should have! Went to Jeremy's, and he figured that I'd stopped to get something - quite right, since the bus wouldn't have taken that long! He anticipated my needs by offering me water - oh yes, it's the Pho thirstiness!

He also read me a pretty boring sample question from his Auditing textbook about wording - it'll be hard to keep his interest in the course! Saw his roommate Ryan a little later, who wondered if there were another Sunday dinner - nope! A while later (after he was done housecleaning), Jeremy called to me from his room - of course I was up for seeing the OMGcat and KnowYourMeme.com videos! We also watched Standing Cat and analysis - hahaha, so amusing! It's all at Video Sift, if you want to search it out for yourself! After Jon texted him to say that there were already a few people at the Whip, we decided to get going once Jeremy had found rarely-worn shoes without a lot of holes at the bottom! Walking in the wet stuff in those conditions is NOT fun... wet socks! I called in the direction of Ryan's room "Coming?" - he said maybe later, but he didn't join us. Discussed (intentional) AutoTune, the pouring rain and conspiracies ("it only rains when you have to go outside!"), Cher, Weird Al, guests, and more.

Met up with Carmen, Albert, Vicky, and Eric at the Whip after walking the few blocks in the pouring rain - it's a conspiracy by the weather, haha. I just had water plus a sip of Jeremy's Black Plague - not even the Cask Ale from Tyler's Crossing on the North Shore! He explained CAMERA (the Campaign for Real Ale), homebrew, cask ale, various drinking establishments, and more to Vicky and Carmen. When Jon called him later, Jeremy said that I was with them - yeah, we'd hung out at Pho and his place before coming to the Whip! I didn't feel so bad about not remembering the secret way out of his place since I'd only exited out that route once before, probably while we were doing the same thing! Carmen told Jeremy to send Jon a text message saying "GET YOUR BUTT OVER HERE! - Kaman." (this in response to a message saying "I'll be there in five minutes" - YOUR "five minutes," or everyone else's definition of five minutes?!) Jeremy had trouble sending a hyphen, haha - it appeared to display, but then erased itself!

We saw Christon's distinctive blue car, and said FINALLY they were here! Nope, it turned out to only be Christon and the birthday girl Jen. Jon and Harmony got there later with Connie in tow. Discussed the retreat, Buddha / Buddhism, Catholicism, "here's to Jen and her many years!" and other such toasts, snow, Grace and Maxine going to Edwin's soon-to-be-wife's (Jane) baby shower, poor Husky dogs outside being SOAKING wet (the owners ended up tying them across the street so they couldn't hear the fighting!), how Connie had found our church, certain Canucks, geeky stuff like Eclipse, how Vicky had found the church, poutine with yam fries, burgers, not eating lunch, nicknames ("Wu-So-Lo," "Jon Ng's brother," "Soft-Spoken Bearded Man"), hair growth, the chalice or goblet of Phillips Cream Ale which made Albert feel medieval, Twitter, the fires in the nearby neighborhood last December (on Christmas Eve, too!), restaurants in the area, landlord conspiracies, and more.

I attempted to ask Eric (sitting one over from me - Jeremy was between us) whether he was going to Jen's party later, but he didn't hear me since the place was so loud. So I perforce got up and tapped him on the shoulder instead. He said that his dad was picking him up, and asked if I wanted a ride - you bet! I'd figured that I'd only go if he were going, but I know it's a long weekend for him. At least we both made it to the Whip part of Jen's birthday celebration, and a car is better than waiting for the bus in POURING RAIN! Went to the bathroom later... pre-peeing is a good thing, haha. Later, Eric asked if I had cash, so I wondered if he hadn't brought any. Turns out he was wondering if I'd brought cash for my stuff - I'd just had water!

Told Jen that I couldn't make it to her party after all (Eric and I *had* been MAYBE replies on her Evite, after all) - she understood that I wanted to take the ride back to Richmond while it was on offer! Of course, I wished her a happy birthday too. We were wondering where Ron was when he showed up inside the Whip - we all said hi, and discussed concerts and such for a few minutes. Jeremy gave me a personal goodbye, which just means he said "Bye, Leslie!" Not as bad as some people were probably thinking, haha. It was nice hanging out with him for sure, as friends! Not that I could have told him that in front of everyone, haha.

Ron and I waited in the car for Eric to get his stuff from Albert's vehicle, then went to Eric's work to pick up his car. Discussed the weather conditions and such, Whistler itself being closed, Pastor John NOT falling asleep in the middle of the sermon (Eric DID ask me how church was), Anita's new baby girl, bunnies, and more. I opted to complete the drive home with Eric even if Ron said he could drive me - it's not like I feel uncomfortable or awkward around Ron, but I had some things to tell Eric about church! His car flag was totally soaked, but his car definitely started up. As soon as I closed the door (success on the first try for the first time in ages, if not EVER!), he asked whether Darkwing had been there. NO!

I don't want to cross the fine line between being annoying and being labeled a stalker, either. So I won't do what I was only half-heartedly planning... yeah... Then Eric sang my name over and over again - at least he wasn't mispronouncing it like he was last week, but I decided that it was better not to bring THAT up! Discussed Committee meeting, the minutes, our not remembering what we were doing in a couple of Fridays (important to know!), Dylan being at the retreat, NOT seeing Mr. Creep this week, emails, whether I'd had any encounters with my mother today (NO, thank goodness! I thought she'd take advantage of the week where most of my Fellowship friends were away - less protection!), and seeing each other on Friday. It was all good to have some time with Eric, haha.

When I got home, I called my sister to update her on stuff like Anita's baby - she wanted to know if I'd gone for dinner last week. Yup, and I only stayed for half an hour! She told me about Phoenix, no plans for Mother's Day for once, her cop friend's wedding in Agassiz, and maybe coming by before leaving on the 18th. Grandma should be happy about that, haha. Hey, Carmen (or "Kaman") is on Facebook, so I'll add her! Or at least I would if she didn't have her settings so that you can't just add her OR send her a message! (reminds me of Hon!) I also reflected that my jealous ex would definitely disapprove of what I did with Jeremy - platonic hanging out and laughing over videos when it was just me and Jeremy in his room? Eating lunch alone with him? Sharing his beer, even if only for one sip? We all know you can't do that when you had / have feelings for the person! *rolleyes*


I GOT MY FIRST FISH BOT SINCE DECEMBER 22, 2008!

[17:57:34] IridescentTrout: I say, old bean, have you seen my hat?
[17:57:48] AlenaBrolxFlami: HA! I WAS WONDERING WHEN THESE THINGS WOULD COME UP AGAIN!
[17:58:08] IridescentTrout: indeed
[17:58:12] IridescentTrout: it was a most excellent hat
[17:58:14] IridescentTrout: very dapper
[17:58:26] IridescentTrout: I don't suppose you might have seen it?
[18:00:40] AlenaBrolxFlami: no, I don't think I've seen any dapper hats today
[18:00:49] IridescentTrout: oh :(
[18:00:52] IridescentTrout: thanks anyway, old bean
[18:04:16] AlenaBrolxFlami: you're welcome
[18:04:49] AlenaBrolxFlami: I might have, if someone I liked would have come to church, but NO... :P oh well

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home