Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spoz and Nate, microwave and Armageddon, visas, booking flights, and speech

Dreamed that Nate hoped Spoz would do a killer job music-wise for his grad roast at Minoru Pool... what the heck?! The microwave is also making weird noises at me while defrosting a pot pie - OH MY. WE HAVE ARMAGEDDON! Eric just called, too - I can finish eating while looking forward to more true safety in a car. :D

I knew that visas were complicated things, but THIS complex?! This is what Corey told me on Thursday night, using Gmail chat:

7:49 PM me: did you fall asleep again?
8:10 PM Corey: no, I went to Sports Authority and FedEx
now I need to buy a plane ticket
8:13 PM me: at 9 PM?! Are you crazy?
8:14 PM Corey: no, the rates go up tonight, so I need to hurry up :P
me: haha... I was talking about going to the sports store and FedEx :P
8:16 PM Corey: FedEx is open until 9, Sports Authority until 9:30 :P
8:17 PM and I needed to get that FedEx stuff out today (visa application)
and Sports Authority since I was already out and checked if it was open that late :P
8:20 PM me: well, I certainly hope the visa gets approved
Corey: well since I sent them $131 for it, me too
and since I'm buying a plane ticket :P
8:21 PM well, if all else fails, I can always get in for a month, and hope they can get the work visa crap done in time... if you have to leave and come back to restart your visa, you can go to Hong Kong and turn around and come back, which isn't too long or expensive
8:22 PM so it MIGHT be possible to do it anyway...
well, by restart your visa, I mean the 30-day "no-visa" time... if you just show up with nothing, you can stay 30 days
8:23 PM the one I'm getting is good for 60 days at a time
8:24 PM me: that gives you a bit more breathing room
8:26 PM Corey: they'll change me to a work visa that lets me stay, but that takes like a month, and I don't think you can change a 30-day visa.. you need to have a real visa.. so I probably do really need this
8:28 PM me: seems like it, yeah... how long were you planning to stay there?
Corey: well... like a year?
8:30 PM we tell the government 60 days though since they won't give me a visa if they know I'm working there since it's not legal to do that on a visitor visa
8:31 PM but that gets changed once I start working.. they'll change it to the proper visa. it's apparently cheaper to do it this way since they'd have to get all sorts of work permit things prepared in advance and it would delay everything to come in on the proper visa. so you go on a visitor visa and start working right away while they prepare the work visa
and if that's in progress, it's okay to work on a visitor visa
8:33 PM me: ah, government...
8:50 PM Corey: the sticky part now is the Visa... it has to get back here by Thursday... I leave on Thursday. if they come through for me, they should have it FedExed back here like Thursday morning...
if I don't get it, I'll have to reschedule the tickets and probably pay a bit more
9:00 PM me: you leave on Thursday?! OH MY GOD. PACKAGE!
9:02 PM Corey: what package? I got the package :P
remember? :P
I need to send YOU a package :P
9:08 PM me: well, you better do it soon if you're leaving tomorrow
9:10 PM Corey: next week!
today is Thursday this week.. tomorrow is Friday, and also a very important day!
9:12 PM me: oh yeah? what's happening?
9:13 PM Corey: well, take a look at tomorrow's date, and guess!! :P
9:14 PM me: hmm... there's a curling even that I won't be attending
9:15 PM * event
9:26 PM Corey: would you want to attend curing events? that sounds pretty boring :P
curLing! (you started the typos here, so it's your fault!)


And here we have last night's conversation about booking the actual flight:

[20:43:09] mrptptpt: so I just finished paying for my business class ticket making my already expensive trip $100 expensiver
[20:43:46] mrptptpt: it was that, or have a layover in New Mexico and then a 7-hour wait in LA
[20:44:39] mrptptpt: I decided that wasn't going to cut it, plus there's only 45 minutes between flights in New Mexico, which means if it's late at all, there might be trouble, plus it's another opportunity for them to lose my bags or something
[20:45:56] mrptptpt: I had to change my flight from Thursday to Friday, and there's no fee to do that... but the right time was sold out, and the next best thing was hours earlier with a stopover... the next direct flight was 5 hours even earlier than that... not at all going to work
[20:46:15] mrptptpt: so it was have like 13 hours of travel BEFORE my long international flight, or just spend more money
[20:47:20] mrptptpt: well, the right time wasn't sold out, just the cheap ones. business class was still available. so in Denver, now I get to skip most of the security line, since I get to use the one for important people.. that might be good since Friday is a busy airport day
[20:47:52] mrptptpt: not worth another $100 for sure, but if I have to spend more to get the right flight, at least I get some perks from it while I'm at it
[20:48:39] mrptptpt: if I could spend another $100 for business class on the international leg, I'd do it in a heartbeat, though.. then I'd have a nicer seat, and power for my laptop :P it's like a couple THOUSAND more for that one, though
[20:56:05] AlenaBrolxFlami: yikes.... the logistics seem really complicated
[20:57:10] mrptptpt: well... they were, but now I just go from Denver to LA :P
[20:57:35] mrptptpt: I'm not sure where the super awesome security line is in Denver, though
[20:57:38] AlenaBrolxFlami: yes, but how long would you have to wait in LA?
[20:58:35] mrptptpt: I have 3 hours and something there now... I would have had like 7 hours, plus all the time wasted going to New Mexico, which is a couple more hours
[21:03:54] AlenaBrolxFlami: I guess that's not too bad in comparison
[21:03:56] mrptptpt: 3 hours is enough waiting. I have to get my bags and recheck it in on the other airline though, so I need to be there that early
[21:04:25] AlenaBrolxFlami: I'm just cutting my fingernails because I'm afraid of digging into Dave's skin if / when we shake hands, haha.
[21:04:28] mrptptpt: I can get that done in way less time than that, but they want the bags to be checked in pretty early
[21:04:46] mrptptpt: plus, the later flight is sold out, and was more expensive when it wasn't :P
[21:07:19] AlenaBrolxFlami: what?!
[21:07:37] AlenaBrolxFlami: you're trying to break my brain, aren't you?
[21:08:06] mrptptpt: not really.. what's complicated about this?
[21:08:36] mrptptpt: you go to the airline and check in, which gets you your boarding pass, and gets your bags sent to the plane
[21:09:14] mrptptpt: when you get there, you get your bags again :P usually, they'll be checked through to the final destination... but apparently this airline can't do that, so I have to take them over to the other airline myself
[21:12:19] AlenaBrolxFlami: I'm talking about "the later flight is sold out, and was more expensive when it wasn't"
[21:19:36] AlenaBrolxFlami: OH SURE. GO AHEAD AND MAKE THINGS AWKWARD BETWEEN US TOMORROW. GO RIGHT AHEAD!
[21:20:08] mrptptpt: it wasn't sold out earlier.... it was more expensive than the earlier time anyway, so I didn't want it.
[21:22:11] AlenaBrolxFlami: oh



You Are a Conjunction



You are a deep thinker, and you're always looking for the connections between things.

You see the whole big picture as far as the world goes. You are good at developing intricate theories.



In your view, we are all interconnected. The little things we do affect one another, and the results are pretty interesting.

You tend to be a mix and match type of person. You like unusual pairings - in food, style, and in company.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home