Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Neptune redux, unexpected $100, and mini boob pastilles

Got to the townhouse in plenty of time to go out later, although I had to ring the doorbell three times before I got an answer! Yee Poh unexpectedly gave me a $100 bill to "buy fruit" (literal translation) - wow, that was definitely cool! Grandma just wondered why I hadn't gotten there sooner... well, considering she told me "If you're going to come, COME!" before hanging up on me earlier, I wasn't going to bother explaining yet again that it takes TIME to transit everywhere! (which she should know anyway, but...) Mom came home, and soon we were on our way to Neptune again, since the old ladies weren't in the mood for Gingeri - we went there for Grandma's 89th birthday. Had congee and noodles while Mom talked with them about Hong Kong and Dad's family history, including Taiwan and Aunt Janis. We also taught Great-Aunt the English words "fat," "thin," and "skinny." Hahaha!

After that, we went to City Fresh Market. Grandma insisted that we buy oranges even though she's leaving tomorrow; it's true that Jon filched one yesterday for his incipient cold, but that's FINE! I saw UG TIGER PEANUTS, and instantly thought of my brother! (one of his nicknames is UG or UGFART) If they'd had "UG" on the package, I'd have bought one to give him on Friday, haha. Then we went to China World / Rice World (same place), where I told Great-Aunt that Jon liked durian wafers. For some reason, she was under the impression that *I* liked them... nope! Then some random lady came up to us with a green package of Taiwanese lemon wafers, and said that these were good.

Mom saw us, and then tried convincing Grandma that she at least did NOT need a HUGE number of lemon wafers - she can probably get those in Hong Kong! However, one package of durian wafers did go in the basket for Jon - I noted with amusement that these were the very same brand of wafers that I'd purchased for him the week before his wedding, haha. (it went into the "weird food combination" money donation game for the banquet :P) I got some Jiabao preserved mandarin orange peels (from Mom) and some strawberry Pocky from Great-Aunt, while Great-Aunt bought Steph some Pretz. After buying some salmon jerky / shredded salmon (the same as I bought for Corey and myself from Great One Supermarket back in March), we went to my grandma's bank so she could do something with her safety-deposit box. Then we went to Yaohan so Mom and Grandma could buy some MORE ginseng for Cousin Aaron when they'd already bought it at Rice World. (interesting gift... and Grandma didn't buy any for Mom!)

After that, Mom decided to go to Dollar Giant so she could see if they had any candle holders for Gordon's wedding in December. (while composing an email to Auntie Ju - Gordon's mother - later, she asked me how to SPELL "Gordon" - oh dear!) She left me in charge of the two old ladies in the car, so Great-Aunt offered me some slightly herbal Prince of Peace honey loquat pastilles. These candies looked like mini-boobs, seriously! You could see a mound and a little indentation which looked like a nipple! If I knew where they got those, I could buy some to show select people, hahaha! (probably Yaohan?)

Anyway, Grandma got really impatient after we'd been waiting for ten minutes. Turns out she wanted to use the washroom - we tried dissuading her from going outside to look for one, but she went into the dollar store after trying to see if Autoplan had one by peering into the window! Mom came out a couple minutes later, and wondered where Grandma was! She told me to go into the dollar store, so I did - I found Grandma trying to communicate with an employee in one of the aisles! Briefly explained to the girl what she wanted, and said that I myself knew there was no washroom. Of course, we were only a few minutes from the townhouse! Relief was found there, and Steph called to say she'd come home for dinner. I enacted an idea I had about Mr. Creep, because my mom's work friend's husband had done it - we'll see what happens!


My mother, on dead mice:

Mom: So, did they die a horrible violent death? [no context whatsoever]
Me: What are you talking about?
Mom: The mice at your place! What do they look like when you see them?
Me: If you want to know, get some mice to run around your place, and then set glue traps for them. Then you'll see.
Mom: What do you do with them after? Do you eat them? Do you cuddle them, kiss them, and cry? [melodrama!]
Me: You can catch DISEASES that way, Mom!
Mom: You're healthy! [implying I won't catch diseases from rodents]
Me: If you don't stop, I'm putting this conversation on Facebook! [the ultimate threat, haha]
Mom: Oh, nobody will want to read that! [that doesn't say a thing about the act of my POSTING it!]

So I'm putting this on Facebook. Ha ha ha. (I thought she'd say that I was being terrible, since she thought my brother's new profile picture - featuring him with a quail head in his mouth - was terrible, and wondered why he'd "put that on the Facebook")

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home