Saturday, December 06, 2008

If you don't want to burn the place down, DON'T DO STUFF WITH CANDLES!

Note to self: Try resisting the temptation to pull rank on a certain person, as great as it may seem. "Be careful who you're talking to..." hahaha.

Ada and her sons picked me up this afternoon, and Sean correctly identified me by name - that's pretty good! Awana went all right - saw Ian M. and Gabriel! I got crackers, as is my wont. (also got Toblerone later, but that's another story) We were reminded about gold / frankincense (seven times the worth of gold) / myrrh (even more expensive!), and the kids were excited to see the upstairs portion of the church since some of them haven't seen it yet. After seeing the chapel, I went to the fellowship hall to put my stuff down before talking to Raymond (YAY!) / Jeremy / Eric / Nathan / Christon / Cindy - it was Auntie Ronne's idea to "exploit" the white guys and Nathan by having them sing a song in Chinese pinyin. (I told Sarah this later on, and she was very surprised!) Since Nathan is Nathan, he decided to take it a little more to the extreme by picking up weird glasses / a Canada hat from the dollar store, and include them as "props" - there was also the little China flag, haha.

Discussed Christmas trees, laundry, FAMILY GUY, working out, Billie's party, the "extra" lemon tart (I had to make a sacrifice for Eric AGAIN! :P), Nathan's GRE ("a low level of terrorism"), salad, container waste, a retreat, "taking the garbage home" (I'm serious - we had to do this), Wordscraper, housework, and other things before / at the appreciation dinner. Good thing I'm able to ignore a certain thing completely! Asked Vanessa if she'd read my sister's latest email - she has, but doesn't care about the weather - well, I certainly do! The guys were practicing their phonetic Chinese throughout dinner, and we were laughing about "gay doctors" - don't ask, since you kinda had to be there. "We're an... accepting church, but you have to be BOTH! Don we now our gay apparel, so we can be HAPPY doctors!" It had to do with the phonetic pronunciation of "Christian" (gae dook) in Chinese, heh.

When we were all told to go into the sanctuary, Raymond / Jeremy / Eric and I decided to see where we could sit for the best view of the guys' song presentation. Unfortunately, we were foiled by Auntie Ronne... "You can't sit here!" "But we ARE sitting here!" (might as well TRY being a smartass!) Then we learned that we had to get name tags and sit in assigned rows by the number on the tag - no WONDER the pews were numbered! I asked Raymond later if he managed to get video on his camera phone, but he was sitting too far back - darn! Some people asked me where my parents were: like I had any idea?! Auntie Grace asked why I wasn't seeing my sister, but I told her it was next week. I asked Auntie Kwai if she was looking after my grandma - she says everything's prepared, which is good.

The guys' presentation was hilarious! The pinyin on the overhead didn't match what Nathan had on his sheets (the correct version) - and Nate had even found a version which rhymed and was more theologically correct, but Ivan's mom nixed that on the grounds of familiarity with the other version. We had to "explore" the church and count all the EXIT signs (28 in all), during which time Sarah and I stopped to see what the Timothy people were doing. Talked briefly to Jonathan about Calgary and Winter Con, then we headed downstairs. Someone came up with a cheat: "Just ask Uncle Ken!" We spent time with baby Mattias - he's so cute and tiny still! Emily figured that she and Sarah could babysit the kid since baby Allison's still fine, haha. (then we had to make "stones" out of newspaper - at least the games were slightly more interesting than last time we had such a dinner!)

We lit candles again, with the requisite warning NOT to burn the place down particularly since we just got it. I was thinking, "So in that case, why exactly are we lighting candles in the church?!" (if I were in Jeremy's row, he'd have gotten that!) Eric seemed surprised that I had stuff still in the fellowship hall, but I wasn't going to bring it into the sanctuary - the security guard's still on duty, as I've seen the past three nights!

On the way home, he made a bunch of HALF-LIFE 2 / FRINGE references... and told me to guess what he did in a certain place when he left my apartment this afternoon. I took the opportunity to be insane, so brought up raping maidens and other unsavory deeds: "You really don't think much of my Blood Elf character, do you?!" "Maybe you get your aggression out by playing a bad guy in the game!" Hey, you told me to GUESS... and no, Dr. Walter Bishop is NOT performing experiments on me! Talked about why the heck people would DISABLE Ad-Aware / AVG updates, his forgetting his green gloves at my place yet again (should bring them tomorrow), the undead, vampires, temperatures in Quebec and the Arctic, candy, and more.

Got home to find that my mom has to be at church at 9:15 AM to promote something - meh, I called Eric's cell instead for a ride. (didn't want to wake the house up or anything) My mom says she wishes I could back out now too, because then I could have looked after Grandma myself, but now it costs $75 per person. Says she has a woolen scarf and other winter stuff for me, and advises me to pack now so they can take the stuff tomorrow. Makes sense, but I should have latched onto that excuse way back when we were at Mui's! ACK, STUPID BRAIN!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home