Saturday, May 26, 2007

No stinky tofu by proxy! / Planet Hollywood's Captain Crunch Chicken

Eric came by a couple minutes after I finished my shower, so I let him in. When I was figuring out which shoes to wear, I mused out loud about needing support (for my feet while walking) - Eric asked if I was putting on a bra! As I told Connie later on: if I was in the process of putting on a bra, there's no way I would have let him in! (never mind that time he was knocking on the window and I was only half-dressed, oops...) I already had my bra on, thanks very much! He was trying to figure out the temperature of my computer when I was finally ready; he had checked out my apartment temperature, and deemed it a bit better. It does seem cooler than a couple weeks ago, all told. :)

Eric told me that it was my fault the Giants were winning 5-1 against the Plymouth Whalers, then wondered what sort of game it was when they had two quick goals to make it 7-1. Went to dinner at the California Café, and had a mental block as to the location of the market. It USED to be at Lansdowne, but now it's at Bridgeport. Eric asked if I had cash to cover both our meals, and luckily I did from grabbing a random amount of money out of my wallet before leaving: he joked that his meal would be $35 if I had $65 - I DON'T THINK SO! We wondered whether we'd get sizzler plates or menu items - most of us got sizzler plates, even if we thought we'd eat later at the market. After our orders were sorted out (with Dianne looking for the lobster meals instead, and changing seafood orders to prawns instead of non-existent scallops / oysters), we settled down to talking. Dianne got into UBC med school, so Connie told her a few stories of how her sisters Jenny and Winnie had managed - lots of studying and constantly being under evaluation! (being on call doesn't leave you room to plan your life - "I'll sleep / go out now... whoops, here's a call from the hospital!")

Frances told me that her sister Elaine had been here for a week to see family and friends, and says that she / Sophia / David will take the kids to the Seattle Zoo tomorrow - apparently Ian and Olivia like animals, and will have fun. Ian's baby brother is named Gabriel - I just HAD to ask her that since for some reason, I never knew that piece of information before! (like when the kid was born a few months ago) Rich left early to chauffeur one of the kids from school, so Chung joked: "In a few years, you'll be walking them down the aisle at their weddings!" (Rich termed that a little scary!) They talked about Fellowship stuff, church stuff, Lawrence, Quan, the kids' school plays, etc. After discussing med school for a while, Dianne and Frances got to discussing the chicken pox - I've never had it, not even when my siblings got it years ago. We've heard of "chicken pox parties," all right - let's infect all the kids at the same time! Phil Chang had it REALLY bad when he was 30 or so a few years back (maybe shingles too), and I remember being very careful when Johnson had it years ago too! (great kid - he'd call me a "mister," a "wild old chicken since you don't have to walk" and "piece of poo"... thanks, Carlie...)

Dianne said that all prospective parents should KEEP ALL THEIR KIDS' RECORDS FOREVER! They'll never know when they'll need them again, because now she has to have all these shots and vaccines once more since her parents didn't keep the kids' records and of course the med department wants to have exact dates! She was on the phone to Coastal Health, who couldn't release the records, but she remembered her sister Cindy had to do the same thing - Cindy called for her and somehow got stuff out for her. Frances said all she had to do was file a Freedom of Information request - authorization on forms is cool, haha. After some mixups with drinks (they gave us some extra tea, didn't give me my Ovaltine until I asked for it twice, and passed around a yin-yang that didn't seem to be anyone's), we settled down to eating. According to them, "LAMB" is "LAMP" - haha! Chung left early, since Karen gets off work at 9 - he's married now and can't hang out!

Later, we paid ($16 - with extra penny) and went to the market in separate cars - Eric and I were separated, but no big deal. (lots of walking, especially from Ikea or even if you parked along the river) So crowded, especially in the food row! (that was just nuts, with everyone packed in like sardines and jostling past each other) I recall thinking that Jasmine wouldn't like it at ALL, and Connie said that tonight's theme was "sorry for touching you inappropriately, but I have to!" Saw Andrea and Jen, and Dianne got some shaved ice with mango! She loves her mango, but I ate Eric's mango pudding at the restaurant - he says it's not a sacrifice for him, but a benefit for me. Whatever! We managed to survive the food row, with someone SHOVING Connie to get past her at one point - she doesn't mind if they excuse themselves, but don't outright PUSH and almost knock a person down! Eric kept making remarks about abandoning both people and stinky tofu, but I don't think they were seriously expecting me to eat it!

We saw a booth advertising "imitation shark's fin soup" - at least they're honest! Maisie recalled that she'd once thought Eric and I were going out... haha, so not true! I asked Raymond a few questions to get to know him better: Pacific Grace is cool with him, he says. He doesn't know much about me, beyond maybe my name and such. (he's a newbie!) Man, he was surprised when I mentioned I'd known Eric for over 20 years, haha. I've been going to this church since I was born, dude... but I didn't expect him to know such information. Probably I should open up a bit more to people, especially if they're going to stay! He learned of this Fellowship through Terry, and figures it's a good fit - his church has Awana and a high school group only. (and a Men's Fellowship, but that's more for married men) I saw a booth with magic bras, and pointed it out to Eric - he thought that maybe Jeff Cowan would like one, haha. For sure!

When we got to the Lansdowne parking lot again after looking for Maisie and leaving the market, Eric mentioned something about seeing Connie's car. I didn't hear him clearly enough because I just assumed he'd said "I'm just seeing if she gets to her car safely," so I just was like "Don't worry, I know. It's fine!" Then he told me that he was seeing if her car blew up - too much of a certain TV show, haha. I got Maisie's pasta, since Connie left her food in Martin's car and Maisie left her food in Raymond's car. Later, I expressed mock horror that it was 11:34 PM - since Eric wanted more information, I had to tell him about my weird thing with numbers. (good = 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 0... bad = 4 and 9... nothing to do with the Chinese superstition about the number FOUR sounding like the word for DEATH!) When we got to my place, Eric said "Get out. Oh, and have a good weekend." Haha, that's what I plan on if I don't screw up again like I did a couple weeks back! (I'll see him on Sunday - I don't think we'll talk tomorrow, but you never know!)

You are a Great Girlfriend

When it comes to your guy, you're very thoughtful.
But you also haven't stopped thinking of yourself.
You're the perfect blend of independent and caring.
You're a total catch - make sure your guy knows it, too!



Your Love Life is Like Annie Hall

"A relationship, I think, is like a shark. You know? It has to constantly move forward or it dies."

You believe that love (if you even believe in love!) is a very complicated thing.
Maybe love is pain. Or maybe it's all a big therapy session. You're still figuring it out.

Your love style: Brainy and a bit neurotic

Your Hollywood Ending Will Be: Realistic and reflective



Planet Hollywood's Captain Crunch Chicken

Serving Size: 1
Categories: Chicken

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups Captain Crunch Cereal, crush
1½ cups Cornflakes, crush
1 Egg
1 cup Milk
1 cup All-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Onion powder
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
2 pounds Chicken breast; skin, bone 1 oz tenders
Vegetable oil for frying
*********

Preparation Instructions: Beat the egg with milk and set aside. Stir together the flour, onion and garlic powders, and black pepper. Set this aside also. Dip the chicken pieces into the seasoned flour. Move around to coat well, then shake off the excess flour. Dip into the egg wash, coating well, then dip into the cereal mixture, coating well. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet to 325°F. Drop coated chicken tenders carefully into the hot oil and cook until golden brown and fully cooked, 3 to 5 minutes depending on size. Drain and serve immediately with Creole mustard sauce.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home