Friday, April 20, 2007

Concerts with Christine, memories, Eric x2, Jeremy, Nabisco Nilla Wafers

I just realized that I probably made my brother feel dirty (I kinda did too) for making him buy my true crime book for me in Wal-Mart! Nothing I could do, since I'd been tasked with looking after Grandma to make sure she didn't wander off anywhere as she tends to do at times. At least she left her knitting in the car! I've only ever bought from them twice (the other involved North Van, Shannon, and underwear :P) in my life, so that's fine. I can't control where people get their gifts for me, though! (like pudding and such)

On the way home, Jon informed me that he'd be helping out Christine Magee with a concert next Saturday. No, she is NOT the Sleep Country Canada spokeswoman - this Christine has a very good voice and a less-than-flattering nickname courtesy of my mom! He can give me a ride if I want to come, but he has to be in Tsawwassen early - I remember the LAST time they did a concert in 2004. Dave told me to tell him that he loved Jon like a brother, but it was way too far! (Jon wasn't impressed, seeing as he told everyone that they HAD to go!) Then Jon and I ate Pho with Jeremy (I was NOT trying their durian shakes!), and verified the triple-overtime Canucks-Flames playoff game score with Ty... good times. (went home afterwards and talked to Sam and someone who shall remain nameless)

Enough living in the past - let's bring things into the present. I just finished Chinese Eric's space adventure, and was greatly amused by these two lines: "You are walking through a cramped computer core. You hear the sound of farting echoing through ventilation shafts." and "You are in a chrome hyperlift. The base's computer alerts you to farting." Don't look at ME... Eric himself told me to put "farting" down as one of his interests when we created his journal together! :P

Speaking of Chinese Eric: he left me a "hi" message on MSN, which I obviously was not around to answer. Maybe I'll catch him later! Then Corey was trying to joke about demonic laughter while Diven told me about having to go to church straight from work tomorrow. We'll see how things go with that: I'm not sure how things could be made of iron, though! It'll be good seeing people tomorrow - maybe I'll tell Jeremy a certain story since he claims not to have heard about it. (Jon thinks he must have, but I believe what the friend says) Let's just hope I don't sound too much like a coughing sick person, even though I really am not! Dunno what's up with that - I'll consume these Halls, and that might do it? It's not excessive thirstiness which is plaguing me, I hope!

Hey, Jon emailed a bunch of us just now. He ran into Dallas the person earlier tonight, and he's doing okay. Drake wants to resume the Sunday dinners starting maybe next Sunday the 29th, and wants to celebrate writing his last exam on Monday with a dinner at Shanghai Wind or another groovy new restaurant. Let's hope the Canucks-Stars game DOESN'T go to a Game 7 on Monday, and that we can vanquish them on Saturday! But if it does, we should get an early start anyhow - he thinks 5:30 to 6 should be sufficient. Heck, I'm probably in as long as it gets me enough time to watch a certain TV show afterwards at 9! ;)


Nabisco Nilla Wafers

No one knows the exact origin of the vanilla wafer, but it's guessed that the recipe was developed in the south. The wafers were being whipped up from scratch at home long before Nabisco introduced the lightweight, poker chip-like packaged cookies in 1945. Back then they were called Vanilla Wafers. But in the 60s Nabisco slapped the tradename Nilla Wafers on the box. Today, the real things come about 100 to a box and really fly when whipped into the air with a little flick of the wrist. Here now, you can relive the days of old with a homemade version fresh out of the oven. This clone recipe makes about half a box's worth and they fly just as far. For just a slight variation on this recipe - with similar aerodynamics - check out the clone for Sunshine Lemon Coolers.

1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon water

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Cream together sugars, shortening, egg, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Add the flour and baking powder. Add 1 tablespoon of water and continue mixing until dough forms a ball.
4. Roll dough into 3/4-inch balls and flatten slightly onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until cookies are light brown. Makes 50 to 56 cookies.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home