Friday, February 16, 2007

Death slang, dead bodies, McDonald's BigXtra!

Today's Cooked Yet Truly Morbid Fact!

A man from the Russian internal republic Buryatia in eastern Siberia has been sentenced to 14 years in prison for cooking the flesh of his friend after killing him during a quarrel. He will serve his sentence at a maximum security prison camp. Chingis Bubeev killed a man who had visited him, cut his body into pieces, and used his flesh to cook pelmeni, a Siberian dish resembling ravioli. Bubeev could not consume all the meat, and sold some to his neighbors, saying it was horse meat. The rest of the victim's remains were thrown out near the killer's house, where local residents found them the next day.

Culled from: Mosnews.Com
Generously submitted by: Michael

**********************************************************************

Well, isn't it obvious what sort of meat goes in pel-MEN-i?

*******

Follow-Up Du Jour!

Gregory sent me an excellent email that I wanted to share with you. It sums up so perfectly why I think it's a shame that the CHP officer who leaked the photos of Nikki Catsouras' remains is being punished:

"Dear Comtesse,

I find your comment on the CHP officer disturbing. As one that commutes at high speed down a dangerous highway every day, I think of Nikki Catsouras with every wreck I see. If he leaked the photographs, fine. Nikki's stupidity or ignorance in driving that fast led to her death. It should be a lesson to us all. Thank you. If it were not for the MFDJ, I would have never heard of Nikki or gained a new respect for driving safely, even if I average about 80 mph."

Bravo, Gregory - I could not have said it better myself. If her death can serve as a warning to others, then certainly some good has come from it.

*******

Morbid Link Du Jour!

Here's a site that the world was screaming out for: Deathslang.com - a list of Death Euphemisms. Definitely a site to visit before you're cooking for the Kennedys!

Thanks to Freaky Kittie for the link.

*******

"My Brush With Morbidity" by Starla

"I've meant to send this story in for some time, but kept managing to not get around to it, so I finally have bitten the bullet: here goes. A little background: I was born in Oklahoma and lived there till I was almost fourteen, when my mother Lorraine married my stepdad Larry. We all moved to Southern Delaware where he is from, so this would be in early summer 1994.

"Shortly after we arrived, we went to Ocean City, Maryland, about an hour and change from our home. I had never seen the ocean before, so it was a real big treat for me, and I really took to the water and salt air and sand.

"On the second day down there, the waves were kind of rough, but lots of people were in the water. I was fooling around in water maybe four and a half feet deep, which is pretty deep when you consider that my final adult height is four feet ten. There was a black lady next to me who was pulling a little boy around in an inflatable boat. I wasn't paying much attention to them, but suddenly I saw the lady quickly turn the boat back and start pushing it toward shore. She gestured at me to follow her, but since I didn't know her and didn't really understand what she meant, I hesitated, and that's when I felt something bump against me.

"I glanced down and saw a woman who I thought was swimming underwater. I stepped aside, thinking to give her room to pass me, but she bumped me again. When I looked closer, that's when I saw she was no swimmer. She was face-down under the surface of the water, wearing what I think was cutoff shorts and a red or pink bikini top, and she had long light brownish hair that floated all around her upper body and brushed against my arms when I reached down automatically to do what? Push her away from me? Help her? I didn't know then and I don't know now. All I do know is her head kind of rolled to the side and I saw her face and it was all bloated up and a sick greenish color and her eyes looked like they were just whites, no iris or pupil.

"I screamed and headed for land, but lost my footing and went under, taking about a gallon of salt water and coming up choking and still screaming. My stepfather Larry heard me and saw me struggling, and ran in to help me. He told me later he thought I'd gotten stung by a jellyfish, which is pretty common in the area. He got to me before I was halfway to the beach and picked me up, and I was crying so hard I couldn't tell him what was wrong. He kept asking me 'Where does it hurt?' and I finally managed to point to the body, which was floating about thirty or so feet from us by that point, going in and out with the waves. He finally saw it for what it was, and ran back to land with me.

"Meanwhile, the lady with the little boy had gone into shore and very quietly alerted the lifeguard. I guess she didn't want to upset her son or cause a panic. So all of this happened in the space of a very short period of time, and soon after I was back on the sand, the Beach Patrol and the police were going into the water. They pulled the body out and covered it up with a sheet of some kind, and kept shooing away the people who crowded in to try and get a look.

"We found out later that the body belonged to a woman who'd gotten falling-down drunk, and slipped over the side of a party boat a couple days before. Apparently everybody on that boat was so drunk, they didn't even miss her for several hours.

"Needless to say, we left the beach right then, and it was quite some time before I wanted to go back again. It's been twelve years and I'm all grown up now, but I still keep my eyes open when I go swimming in the sea.

"Of course, if this had happened today, I would definitely have tried to get a good look at the floater, so I could pass on the gory details to fellow Morbidites."

Wow - talk about a LITERAL brush with morbidity!


McDonald's BigXtra!

McDonald's roll-out of the BigXtra! is another bomb dropped on the battlefield of the latest burger war. Burger King took the first shot by introducing the Big King - a pretty good clone of McDonald's signature Big Mac, with a bit more meat and no middle bun. Then Mickey D's fired back with a clone of Burger King's popular Whopper, to be exact. That's just under 5 ounces of ground beef, stacked on a huge sesame seed bun, with the same ingredients you would find piled on the Whopper - lettuce, onion, tomato, ketchup, mayo, and pickles... plus McDonald's addition of a special spice sprinkled on the beef as it cooks. It's all very tasty. Especially if you like Whoppers. Today the Big Xtra! is less extra, having been shrunk down and renamed Big 'N Tasty.

1 large sesame seed bun (4 3/4-inch diameter)
5 ounces ground beef
seasoned salt
ground black pepper
2 teaspoons ketchup
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chopped onion
3 pickle slices (hamburger style)
1/2 cup chopped lettuce
1 large tomato slice
non-stick cooking spray

1. Form the ground beef into a very large patty on wax paper. Make it approximately 5 1/2 to 6 inches in diameter (the meat should shrink to the perfect size for the buns when cooked). Freeze this patty for a couple hours before cooking.
2. Grill the faces of the hamburger bun in a hot skillet over medium heat. Grill until the buns are golden brown. Leave pan hot.
3. Grill the frozen patty in the pan for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Sprinkle one side with seasoned salt and ground black pepper.
4. Prepare the rest of the burger by first spreading the 2 teaspoons of ketchup on the face of the top bun. Follow the ketchup with the tablespoon of mayonnaise.
5. Stack the onion onto the top bun next, followed by the pickles and lettuce. Add the tomato slice to the top of the stack.
6. When the beef patty is done cooking, use a spatula to arrange it on the bottom bun. Turn the top of the burger over onto the bottom and serve. Makes 1 hamburger.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home