Saturday, December 02, 2006

Flushing dead rats down the toilet / Soothing kids who are crying for no reason we can see

Henry called at about 2:30 to say that he'd be a bit late, and also that he changed his car from a BMW to a Mini-Cooper on Tuesday. Good to know because then I won't look for the old car... I hope! He called to let me know he was here about an hour later, so I shot off a very quick email to Hard Drive Dude to ask if he were available tomorrow morning. By the time I got back, I'd received a reply: he is available tomorrow before 10, so that should work out IF Enrico can drive me. There are certain things I don't want certain people knowing about, and this is one of them!

Henry also said that he has to take a final next week, so he won't be driving me to / from the church. I'm sure I can arrange something else tomorrow... I hope. Emily Lam thanked me for her birthday card after I asked if she'd gotten it from her brother Joey. Then I gave Christmas cards to Emily Choi (who also got a birthday card) and Melia. They thanked me for them and said I was pretty early: yeah, I know, but eh. Later on, I gave David and John's birthday cards to Auntie May since she's their mother / mother-in-law. I just want to be rid of them... well, no. Not sure when I'll see them again, so I'll take that route instead to make sure they get the cards, haha.

During Awana, Jason and Amos found another rat: it was inside the nursery, and Andrew helped them kill it by putting a cardboard box over it and moving it around. It ran all over the nursery, but they eventually killed it. Auntie Vivian had gone back home by this time to give her son William a video camera and the PLANET ECCENTRIC! book I'd brought so he wouldn't be totally bored. She couldn't fit him inside her car with his sisters Sarah and Mary and three other kids. So Amos and I left the secretary corner unmanned temporarily for a bit because he came over to tell me about it, and I naturally had to see the rat blood in the nursery for myself.

There wasn't too much blood even on the walls, and the floor was covered by a garbage can and bag! Jason and Andrew came up with the dead rat inside a glass from the kitchen, covered by a plate. Both glass and plate were thrown away later when the guys flushed the dead animal down the toilet near the furnace room. Makes you NOT want to go into the nursery, but I have to do so tomorrow for the toddler Sunday School! (Auntie Rebecca said to get Eric T.'s dad to clean the carpet with disinfectant or something)

After unsuccessfully trying to find something for Alysia, Amos and I discussed our weeks. He didn't have a snow day at school for him on Monday, and there were some snowball fights even if those weren't allowed. Sounds like good times, haha. By this time, Auntie Vivian was back, so I told her what she'd missed. I think she was glad she'd missed seeing a dead rat, on the whole. Amos said that the tail was longer than they thought it was, but it went down in one flush. Apparently, he likes flushing dead rats down the toilet. We have a future exterminator in our midst, heh.

Later, I was writing Christmas cards when Samantha saw what I was doing. She asked if that was a birthday card for her sister Rosanna, who actually IS a Christmas baby. No, it was my friend's Christmas card. I decided to take two different Awana stickers to decorate Jeremy's Christmas card: Sparky head fit fine, but the VeggieTales Sherlock Holmes did not. She suggested sticking it on the front. After thinking about it for a bit, I figured it couldn't do any harm since Jeremy DOES keep all the cards he gets, and there was room on the front by the picture of Godzilla / the Tokyo Monster eating Santa and his reindeer. I then thanked her for it, and told Bob and Zoe to stop playfully hitting each other. (Bob's 12 already! Or 13...)

After Awana, I said hi to Rachel and her grandma. Then I walked over to Ian and said hi. He shyly said hi back, so I asked him if he liked ladybugs. The answer to that was "I don't know," so I decided to keep it simple. I asked if he liked stickers, but he didn't know what I was talking about. So then I asked to see his Awana handbook to see if there were any inside: a quick glance gave me nothing. Gave it back to him, then asked where his spoon for the lychee pudding was: he had it in the crook of his arm, so I put the tiny thing in his uniform pocket. (that way, it wouldn't get lost)

Then he started crying!!! I put an arm around him and tried soothing him. Sabrina also talked to him in gentle Chinese, telling him that his parents would be here soon to pick him up. The guys got Mike (his leader), who tried distracting him with talk of snow / cold / ice. I asked him if he liked the snow: no, he didn't. So then Mike tried thinking of something else while Hilary's dad said he'd get Ian's dad, who came downstairs within two minutes. We told Ian not to cry and that things would be okay. When his dad showed up, he soothed Ian and said that there was no reason to cry. I certainly hadn't done anything to him! After they left, I walked over to Gwyneth, who was playing with an Awana toy. She asked me a few times if I wanted to have dinner at her house: sure, I did! Heh, gotta love little kids. :D

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home