Thursday, December 21, 2006

Being happy about your own execution / embalming textbook / conjoined twins joke

Today's Happy Yet Truly Morbid Fact!

Sylvester Adams was convicted of kidnapping and strangling a 16-year-old boy and was executed by lethal injection on August 18, 1995 in Columbia, South Carolina. His last words were positively giddy: "All you people out there - ha ha ha ha! I'm the happiest man in the world! I'm not afraid to die! I'm not crazy! I'm going to be reaching that white house tonight!"

Culled from: Last Suppers: Famous Final Meals From Death Row

**********************************************************************

I might also mention that Sylvester Adams was mildly mentally retarded, one of 35 developmentally disabled inmates executed in the U.S. since 1976.

*******

Wretched Recommendations!

Lissa has a book recommendation for us:

Embalming: History, Theory, and Practice by Robert G. Mayer

"This is an actual TEXTBOOK! I can tell you, I worked at a funeral home and enjoyed the privilege of hanging out in the 'morgue' with the embalmer as he worked. This book is chock full of wonderfully disgusting and interesting things I never saw, knew, or heard of! The only downside is that the pictures are all black and white, and there are some shots of body cavities and viscera that would be far less obscure had they been in color. Otherwise, this book is amazing! Plus, as in any textbook, at the end of each chapter, there are a list of 'Topics for Discussion.' I think these would be really great if you were lolling around, having some drinks, and talking about things with friends. Packing the anus and vagina with cotton soaked in arterial fluid to prevent purge after aspiration of the body? Who would have guessed? This one is worth hunting down. In fact, I'd like to own a copy though I imagine its cost would be a fairly painful nip in the wallet."

*******

Morbid Mirth Du Jour!

Q: Why did the conjoined twins move to England?

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

A: So the other one could drive.

Thanks to Rob for this one.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home