Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Losses, Catherine Howard, running water in an autopsy room, scar stories, quiz

We lost 5-2 to Minnesota tonight. DAMN. I also want the execution book below, haha. :D


Today's Determined Yet Truly Morbid Fact!

Twenty-two-year-old Catherine Howard, charged with infidelity by her husband Henry VIII, was held in the Tower of London. The night preceding her execution, the queen, determined not to exhibit any feminine weakness on the scaffold, 'asked that the block might be brought to her room and, this having been done and the executioner fetched, to the amazement of her attendants she knelt and laid her head in the horrible hollow, declaring as she rose to her feet that she could now go through the ordeal with grace and propriety.' And indeed she did, together with her lady-in-waiting, Lady Rochford, the latter paying the penalty for concealing her mistress's adultery from the king, and also for the false evidence she had supplied whereby her husband, Lord Rochford, had been executed for alleged incest with his own sister, Anne Boleyn.

Culled from: The Book Of Execution

**********************************************************************

My Brush With Morbidity by Nina

"I once worked in a private lab near a small town hospital. At 6:00 each morning, I made my way to the hospital's basement pathology lab to pick up specimens. Having trained in the squalid county hospital of a nearby city, I was accustomed to unusual sights. Nothing rattled me -- not even the medical examiner sawing open the head of a suicide while detectives ate cheese doodles and cracked jokes. Not the sputums and body fluids I collected on my morning rounds. Nor the various 'spare parts' in jars and basins. Nor the individuals on the table, who had been alive moments earlier.

"But one dark morning, alone in the basement, I followed the sound of running water coming from the autopsy room. The autopsy room light switch was beside the other door, across the room from where I stood. I could barely make out the form of a woman on the steel table, covered in a sheet up to her chin. In the sink behind her head, water trickled into a basin.

"But I froze. There was no way in hell that I was going to cross that room and turn off the water. There was no way I could stay in that basement a second longer. I felt an overwhelming urge to flee, so I turned, and raced to the nearest stairwell."

*******

Ghastly!

The world definitely needs more websites like Scarmageddon - a site that collects images of scars and their associated stories and allows you to rate and comment on them. Positively wince-inducing!

Thanks to Tara for the link.








I, Leslie, being of sound mind, hereby bequeath my entire estate to my pet rock. I do this because they threatened to take my thumbs.

My only regret in this life was that I didn't cry in the corner enough.
'What will your Last Will and Testament say?' at QuizGalaxy.com

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home