Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Hard drive advice

Thanks to someone in RandomThought, I got this advice: "That's a really good hard drive and I'd take it. Now, if you already have a hard drive that's running Windows, there's no need to install it again on your new drive (and take up 1/3 of the space). You just install the new drive as the slave drive (and your old one would be the master with the OS on it which the computer boots from) and use it for a mass amount of storage. However, if you're planning on scrapping your old drive, install the new one as the master and make your old one the slave (it's a matter of swapping cables). Put Windows on it (find a disc, I guess. Have your friend burn a copy). Move everything from your old drive that you want to keep, then remove it. May I also suggest taking a magnet (or hammer, which is more fun) to it, just in case there's something on there that someone could use to destroy you somehow."

To me, that basically means that I'd have to get Eric or someone to install Windows on that beast with tools and advice, heh. Corey thinks it could just be the fans which cost like $5 to replace, but I'll worry about that later. Carol warned me that external drives wouldn't do any good if the main drive is dying, so I emailed the guy to ask about that. Thank goodness it's an internal drive that will fit into any desktop... I already have a case, which is a good thing. I'm figuring that I'd swap the drives (or get someone to do so) if it fits... then worry about memory sticks and fans later.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home