Saturday, August 05, 2006

No Stateside trip... bank's closed! / I hate tripping over myself, man! / Choosing cards is annoying

Right now, I'm eating that Nanaimo Bar my mom gave me yesterday... good thing I put it in the freezer when I got home after lunch! No, it's not my lunch for today... I plan on eating some pizza to fulfill that food requirement. (and I have to take a shower and such before 8:10 too!)

I got to the bank before 12 today, only to find out that it was CLOSED! (probably because of the long weekend) That means no Stateside trip for me, since I don't want to borrow money from my sister to finance it. So disappointing! When I got home after waiting in the heat for a bus (not fun), I tripped over my own jeans while I was wearing them! This is one of the times that I wish I didn't have cerebral palsy! It normally doesn't affect me THAT much, but it sure does in these situations... thank goodness it happened when I was HOME and not still out and about! After I finished grumbling about THAT, I called my sister (who was still walking around the Park Royal mall parking lot with people) to let her know about the circumstances beyond my control and how that affected my long weekend plans to go Stateside with her and Vivian... maybe next time!

At least I managed to accomplish some more card-buying at London Drugs while I was out, since I didn't want to waste the excursion. I saw a cool 16th birthday card with a pop float on the front: that'll go to Adam and Andrew on September 20. I'm not being cheap because they're twins (I always had separate cards for Sarah and Hannah), but I just can't tell them apart! (my sister also has this problem) Then I saw a 30th birthday card ("Give me the bad news, Doc... I can take it." "You're 30... sorry, there was nothing we could do!") which would be perfect for Terry. Hey, I gotta do the "30th birthday card" thing to someone before it's done to me in a few weeks! ;)

Finding Anthony's baptism card proved to be the most difficult thing today. London Drugs USED to have adult baptism cards (or cards suitable to use for the occasion), but they don't have those anymore... baby baptism cards are not acceptable! I really wasn't willing to get lost today trying to find the local Christian bookstore, or go to other card shops to see what they had. The religious cards didn't quite cut it, even the congratulatory / support / "thinking of you" ones. There was one that would have been fine, except for the fact that it was pink and flowery. I might not have been willing to overlook the "You're A True Friend" inscription, however... I really don't know him THAT well! There was a yellow card which was fine on the front ("praising God in the sunshine"), but the blurb inside the card said something about thinking of the person in times of stress and thanking God for them / their friendship. The second part works, but the first one SO does not!

Then I moved on to the generic congratulations cards, which weren't quite what I was looking for. The blank cards were also all inappropriate for various reasons: one had a martini on the front, for example. While that wouldn't have been TOO bad (we're talking about giving this "baptism" card to a person who wore a cannabis T-shirt for his baptism interview, after all!), the blurb next to the drink said something about a good friend knowing how to choose their martinis... uh, not good for the occasion! Others were too girly and pink: unless Anthony secretly loves girly stuff, those would not have sufficed!

There were these cards with a cartoon man saying "Dude!" / "Sweet!" and "Word!" on the front, and the inside had the same dude saying a more drawn-out version of the same thing. I briefly considered giving Anthony the "Word!" one, with an explanation about how he could think of the "Wooooord!" as God's Word... but then quickly discarded it: I'm not THAT irreverent, and especially not at a baptism! After looking around some more and getting frustrated, I finally settled on the "Dude!" one: I can just tie that in with "Dude! You're getting baptized! That's a big step in your faith, blah blah blah"... right? ;)

I also saw this card about "your thoughts at various ages on beer" which would have been perfect for Jon and Jeremy: too bad I already got their cards already for this year, and I might forget that I have it next year when the time comes! (although I already have Karen Choo's September 2007 card only because "youth knows no age" isn't really appropriate for anyone else that I give cards to!) Eh, maybe next time... October and November 2007 cards aren't THAT far removed from September 2007! I thought of the cards Jon and I had signed for Frances, her sister Elaine, and their sister-in-law Rosenda: that reminds me that I need to get a 1st birthday card for Rosenda's son Ian! There was a cute one in the store with a Care Bear and letter blocks too... maybe next time, since there's just under two months yet till October 1!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home