Saturday, August 05, 2006

Benny called me by name for the first time ever! / Meeting Dallas

I got to the mini-mall in plenty of time to meet Eric, so I went to Supermarket 2000 (the Chinese market next door to Richmond Sushi) to browse. They had five-packs of Koka instant noodles for sale: I got all the flavors available since it was a dollar cheaper than it would have been, and I'd never tried it before. I sure hope I like it, what with 30 packs in my kitchen now... tom yam, curry, chicken satay, spicy Singapore fried, original stir-fry, and pepper crab! Eric saw me outside the market, and put my purchases (which also included a 100-pack of Happy Brand seaweed, and some Ovaltine biscuits) in his trunk: good call, since I really didn't want to haul them around all night! Then he hummed Van Morrison's Moondance, and asked if I recognized the tune: of course I did!

I told him about Chinese Eric wanting to hang out with us: seems white Eric is going to his former roommate's wedding next week, and he's going to Victoria / Qualicum tomorrow for the long weekend... but maybe next week on the weekdays! (Jon's going to the fireworks tomorrow, he said later) Then he quizzed me about where the city of Vernon was located in the Okanagan, and somehow mashed "drive" and "ride" together to get "dried" when I asked him how he'd get to the wedding. We also talked about how my dad wants me to "protect his stomach" by not going out to eat as much after Fellowship since he can't eat everything anymore. On a related topic, Eric thought he might be hungry after the program since he and his co-workers had ordered "all you can eat" sushi. He hadn't had all he could eat, since he had to leave early!

When we got to church, we said hi to Jeremy and listened to the Resonate worship service for a minute or so (we could hear it from Garden!) before going downstairs. Once we got downstairs, I apologized to Jeremy for my mom's actions on Wednesday: he just didn't know what was going on when she handed him the phone, so he was understandably kinda confused. (I hope she never does that again!) During worship and announcements, Jeremy and Eric thought Dylan and Karen had forgotten their promo of Thursday night prayer meeting, but they hadn't. I noticed Vivian's Happy Bunny T-shirt, and commented on it: we love the snark! :D

Just before we got started, I waved hello to Mike T. and Emily. I was very surprised when Benny CALLED ME BY NAME FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER! ("Hey Leslie, how's it going?") All I could think of to say was "Good, Ben." before I sat down next to Eric and Jeremy! That was a nice point in the evening, for sure! There was some amusement in Bible Study when we learned that people in ancient Corinth did not know modern neurophysiology, and believed that a person thought with their midsection! (there are some big midsections in the world, as Karen said to Vivian...)

Later, I went upstairs when Sheena said they were just eating snacks. I told her and Danielle about my glasses, and showed them the old pair with the arm broken off... they agreed that it was terrible! When I saw a couple of people playfully beating Mike K. up, I asked him what was with that: he didn't know, but wanted it to stop! I noticed Sam's red "HEAVY DRINKER" T-shirt right away, and joked that he should have my blue Corona Extra cap to go with it, while giving him a dubious look. Joe said that I should read the back, so I did: it was a quote from Jesus about drinking water and how those that come to Him will never thist. Very clever!

Speaking of red T-shirts, I was talking to Nathan and Jon when someone told us to look at Anthony's: apparently, he'd worn it to his baptism interview tonight! You're thinking, "Red T-shirt? Yeah, so what?" But wait.. it was a T-shirt with a drawing of a CANNABIS LEAF, hahaha! We asked who'd done his baptism interview (probably Joe), and then joked that Uncle Hansel would have just failed him immediately upon seeing it! Jon and Nathan can be irreverent, but even they'd probably think about it and go for something a little more respectable! (and I'm not dissing Anthony, either... it was just kinda funny!)

While I made my brother sign a bunch of birthday cards for Erin / Frances / Rosenda / Elaine (he still has hers) / Chinese Eric / Nina, he mentioned his friend Dallas in conversation. I *had* noticed a new guy around, but then there were a bunch of newcomers because of Resonate, so I didn't think too much of him being there. (Charis [who was surprised when I addressed her by name since I didn't talk to her at Summer Conference], Esther, and others) I asked Jon who that was, and THEN he formally introduced us! He got here yesterday from Toronto, and Jon apparently introduced him to a couple of beer places today on his first full day here. Then he gave us the best reason Nathan had ever heard for wanting to be in medicine: his family went through a time of sickness a while ago, so he wanted to help them somehow! So that led to a tangent of Nathan telling him about his counselling work.

We discussed Richmond Centre, his living near Eunice (important for Sam to know: yes, we mean your cousin!), the greatly-reduced temperature here as compared to Toronto (Jon checked Weather.ca yesterday: "feels like 48 degrees!"), Darfur / the Grouse Grind "three times in a day" fundraiser (since Sean, Nathan, and Eric asked Jon and Jeremy), and other things. Plenty of time for him to get settled if he's here for four years studying medicine, as I told him. Jackie and Steph were chasing each other around the church, so we told him that Steph was our other HYPER sister (confirmed when she came up to bug us) and that she's built like a football player. He's staying with some relative's friends or something, and they sleep early... he didn't have the keys to the house, which was a problem at 10:30 PM! Since we thought we were going to Dragon Ball afterwards (but didn't since it was after 11 when we left), we got Sam to drive him home. (Rich could drive Mike K. home, so Dallas could get home a little faster!)

Sean and Nathan were talking about things, and I interrupted to ask Sean whether he'd received the birthday card that I mailed to him in February. He had indeed, and hugged me in belated thanks. The only other person who'd remembered was his sister (and family), and you'd kinda expect Vanessa to keep the day in mind! I saw Becky and talked to her for a bit: she's here for good now (not in Saskatchewan), and is going back to school to do children's ministry in the fall. The "different woman" Teresa came up to my brother and asked him about something: when I asked her later, she said that she wanted to learn piano, and heard he teaches it. Good sense, heh. Then we all watched as Jon chest-chopped people, and listened to Chris complain that Steph had hip-checked him again... but not as hard as last time, which is a plus!

We eventually went outside and continued our discussions on the church steps. Jon and I told Nathan that if he was going to have a "reflection day" on Monday, he should turn his cell OFF even if it's going to be hard! Lesley overheard that, and told us that she personally referred to those things as "knee journeys." (Nathan and I misheard it as "need journeys," although Jon got it right away) For some reason, she asked Jon if he'd been home at all today: the answer was no, but that he got bouncy / more energetic at night since he's a night person. Jeremy and Jon were discussing the documentation of their Darfur Grouse Grind fundraiser (for which Sean gave them $20 without even reading the material Jon had printed out on the subject!): they brought up digicams and video. I suggested that they could Youtube everything later, which Jeremy thought was a good idea since there aren't a lot of Darfur videos on the site. Jon thought my idea was hilarious, and wished they knew about that in February when they documented the Toronto Darfur Walk. Then Lesley brought up a Three Hills (Alberta) Winter Conference where her nose hairs froze, since Jeremy said that his beard was frozen that time in Toronto! Jeremy said that "funny" and "fart" videos were very popular on Youtube... why am I not surprised at the declining state of society? :P

Everyone found it funny when Daniel gave Nathan a big kitchen garbage bag full of vegetables from Michelle's mom... as Daniel told Jon, they could also come in handy if HE came over to eat! That made Jon's night, haha. Steph gave Jon his metallic coffee mug: he'd left it at the Pho restaurant tonight by accident, so the waitress ran after Vanessa to give it back! When we left to go to the car, Steph made a comment to Angus about pinching his boobs: Eric, Jon, and I had to stop and hear that story! (made easier by Angus telling Melia on his cell phone) Apparently, that grew out of a discussion about pinching people's butts. The guys noticed that Angus was about to run over a bunch of ants with his car too, haha. Why were there so many ants? Because it was near the church AND the stinky Pho garbage bin! (ew, yuck!)

On the way home, I told Steph that I'd heard she couldn't attend the wedding in September, and that I somehow needed to tell that to Auntie Kwai. She gets back into Abbotsford from the Mexico trip at 7 or 8 PM that night (according to Michelle), which is too bad: she was looking forward to the Kirin food! The last time I ate there was probably Helen and Danny's wedding banquet in 2002, while Steph last ate there with Uncle Michael (?) or with Grandma, Pastor Edward, and Pastor Edward's mom after a three-hour trip to Sears for suit-buying purposes. Once I told Steph that I was going on the Stateside trip with her and Vivian S. (and maybe Jessica S.), she told me to go to the bank tomorrow before it closed (3?) to get some US currency for food / snacks / stuff like that, and to bring lots of books since they'd be shopping all day in Portland on Monday and I might get bored. (I have a cheque to cash too!)

She's looking for a hotel that has a continental breakfast: Motel 6 sounds fine right now, since it's $64 a night! Steph wishes that Vivian's sister would come along so that she and Viv aren't the only ones to suffer my craziness.. aiya! The plan is to leave as soon as possible after Sunday church, barring talks with the parents about cars: we also have to pick Mom up after work on Monday! Steph also complained about getting up early tomorrow since it's the weekend and a holiday: she has to drive Mom to work by 7 and pick her up at 3. In between, she'll go walking with her supervisor and two other women at 8:45 at Ambleside Beach... oh well, at least she'll have the car. (on Tuesday afternoon, she'll go to Chapters after she and Jon have a laser eye surgery consultation... we'll get a ride home from the party somehow!)

Steph told us a hilarious story about her and Vivian's trip to Seattle in 2003 to see Manchester United: she was looking online at various hotels, and saw one offering free accomodation for kids 17 and under. Since Vivian was 17 at the time, Steph decided to sneak her in under that rule. They got to the hotel, and she told Vivian to stay in the car while she checked in. For some reason, she took a long time, so Vivian left the car to see what was up. The hotel lady just looked at the two of them, and asked if this was the child. Sure! Then she said "It has to be for YOUR child!" and made Steph pay an extra $5, haha. Eric said that she could have said that the lady wasn't being open-minded, and I added that Steph could have said that she was one of those people who adopt kids (of a different race, even!) at a very young age! Good times, indeed!

Oh, my sister also asked me whether I'd thanked Mom today for the ride and such. Yes, at least twice... and she even acknowledged me once! She asked because Mom didn't seem to think I'd said anything in the way of thanks! I dunno WTF is up with THAT... o_O

Then she said that Mom would have gone with us on the Stateside trip if she didn't have to work, but then figured I'd change my mind about going! Yeah, there's only so much time I can take with her... so then Eric half-joked that I disliked my mother a lot. Heh, no comment!


You scored as Grumpy Bear. You are Grumpy Bear.
People just don't understand.

Bedtime Bear

75%

Grumpy Bear

75%

Wish Bear

67%

Friend Bear

67%

Tenderheart Bear

67%

Share Bear

67%

Laugh-a-lot

67%

Harmony Bear

58%

Champ Bear

58%

Do-Your-Best Bear

42%

Funshine Bear

42%

Good Luck Bear

42%

Love-a-lot Bear

33%

Cheer Bear

25%

Which Care Bear Are You? (very long for accuracy)
created with QuizFarm.com


All I have to say is: YIKES! o_O

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home