Monday, August 28, 2006

Grammar icon, list of frequently misused English words



I love this icon. Because I'm a geek, I spent some time earlier tonight making a note of all the text on it:

"Your stupid?" My stupid what?
Your throws of ecstasy send me into throes of amusement.
Never enter your PIN number on an ATM machine. You could get the HIV virus.
You can defuse a bomb. But diffusing it might be a bad idea.
If you really did have baited breath, you would smell rather fishy.
I before E except after C or when sounding like A as in neighbor or weigh. Unless it's weird.
Your is not mine. You're means you are.
Thru is only a word if you are referring to getting a hamburger in your car.
Rouge is a color. A rogue isn't.
Per se means of itself. Per say is only how you pronounce it.
A horde is a large group, often unruly. To hoard is to gather and often references dragons.
Fire is fiery. Burn all misspellings.
Et cetera does not abbreviate to ect., ecc., or ec. Etc.
E.g. means for example, I.E. means that is. I.E., always be correct.
You should definitely spell definitely definitely.
If you had a D, you wouldn't deserve congratulations.
A lot is two words. Allot means to distribute.


On a related note, here is Wikipedia's list of frequently misused English words. Reminds me of Brian's Errors, actually. :D

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home