Saturday, October 15, 2005

Awana Leadership Conference 2005... despite what my mom thinks, we did NOT have rats for lunch!

Auntie Rebecca called me at 7:30 AM today to make sure I was up so we could get to the conference. After going to sleep at 12:30, deciding that wouldn't work at 2, and trying to sleep till 4, I was kinda up. Oh well, I had to leave and had no choice in the matter. I was a little late meeting her outside, but I'd have been on time if my keys didn't go missing somehow when I'd JUST seen them.. I hate when that happens, especially when I'm in a rush! At least I knew what to expect at the conference... but I didn't expect to see Michael taking Eric's spot, haha. When Melia asked if he wanted to help out with Awana, he made a little pun on the word "Awana"... of *course* I caught it!

Sam entertained me and Joey by telling us weird facts: apparently, the time a man's heart beats fastest is when he's having sex... and if the heart beat that fast at any other time, he'd be dead! Also, Queen's We Are The Champions is apparently a gay song of some sort... this is according to some friend of his who knows all these stupid weird facts. I told Michael about Frankie Goes To Hollywood's song Relax being about gay sex.. he didn't believe me at first, but you gotta admit that a BBC Radio DJ looking at the lyrics one day and stirring up controversy which ultimately led to the song being #1 is an interesting story!

Benedict said that he'd tried to sleep early, but couldn't... he does have sleep apnea (where he wakes up subconsciously 300 times a night), which he has to go to a sleep lab in the hospital lab to get tested for sometime. He ended up sleeping at 3, and got up at 6-ish to get ready and drive people. I told him that I'd tried sleeping early at 12:30, woke up at 2 when that didn't work, played around on the computer till 2:45, and finally fell asleep at 3:30 or 4... not a good thing if you have to get up early! I stuck around Ben, Chris, Danny, and a couple others all day: might as well go to conference workshops with friends so you don't get lost! (besides, I didn't find anything REALLY APPEALING on the workshop list.. handbook encouragement, First Aid, and a double session of games it was!)

They had Bread Garden wraps this year as well as sandwiches: refreshing change! Tina also gave me her chocolate chip cookie... since I'm craving chocolate for a certain reason right now, that worked for me! The games session was interesting in that a few of us observed the others play certain Awana games. In one game, the leaders pushed each other around on these little skateboard things. Sam got pushed around by this big fat white guy in another game when Sam had a few beanbags, including one of White Guy's team beanbags! Poor Sam was in the fetal position trying to protect himself.. man, oh man!

The new leaders seemed to enjoy the conference, although of course there was a bit of grousing about why it started so early! I've come to a resolution: I'll let Jason and Amos count the money starting from next week. Apparently, they overwork Golden in his Cubbies secretarial duties: one of the weeks where I wasn't here yet, Jason and Amos saw him being told to do this and that and everything else, with no one to help him! (Jessica was also spying on the guys playing ping-pong instead of sharpening pencils, haha) We all got our pins for completing the evaluation form: they were actually pretty this year, and Michael said that he wouldn't give his to Sam. Sam also got a CD with "his plans for world domination"... that ought to be very interesting, hehe. ;)

Afterwards, I went to the townhouse and watched Unsolved Mysteries (which I used to watch a LONG time ago, yay!) before having dinner. Tomorrow's farewell for Derek should be good... hopefully, I can find a ride for that. (and get some of the sleep I need tonight too!) I'd nap like I usually do after this conference, but I don't want to not sleep later on, haha. Now, I'll stay away from my mom since she apparently just worked a 12-hour shift.. but I *did* at least say hi to her when I came in, so (barring any maternal moodiness or irrationality) I'm covered for tonight! :D


Oh, and here's an exchange my mom and I just had:

Mom: I'm having curry fishballs for dinner. Are you hungry?
Me: No, Mom... I just ate dinner and I had a big lunch.
Mom: What did you have?
Me: Stuff from the Bread Garden... cookies, chips, pasta salad, wraps...
Mom: Ha?! You had RATS for lunch?! Aiya!
Me: No, Mom... WRAPS!!! You know, where they put a bunch of stuff inside a wrap thing. They have those at your work! (she works as a dietary supervisor in the hospital system)
Mom: OH! Okay.... I thought you actually had rats for lunch!
Me: Of course not, Mom! Aiya!


HAHAHAHA ... she's so funny and silly! :P

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home