Saturday, June 12, 2010

Appearing at the Awana awards ceremony and the carnival

Henry picked me up at about 3, and we were off to the last day of Awana. We discussed the butterfly effect (where a Brazilian butterfly flapping its wings could cause a Texas hurricane), his astronomy projects, 2012, resting on the sun, MYTH busting, the weird traffic stall on the bridge, Vacation Bible School, Ambleside, Coal Harbor, Lonsdale Quay, and more. When we got to church, some guy told him to repark his car since it was a smaller car taking up a stall for a larger one. I walked at my normal pace to the elevator while he did that, and wasn't really surprised when he yelled for the elevator just as I was about to go up to the main floor!

Had almost no idea what to do when I got in the church, so bought a ticket for the carnival myself before I joined Hilary / William / Michelle in watching Mary make crepes under the direction of her mother. ("no pressure - you just might burn the church down, that's all!") Went upstairs and talked to some of the kids: Ian wanted to know whether I'd be going in his car later (and thought the silent auction tables were ping-pong), Midora and others needed to be directed upstairs, Amos said that he missed me (his mom Jennifer thought I hadn't been at Awana / Sunday School for a couple of weeks!), Sean told me that he wasn't allowed to go outside (not past the front door!), and Jordan said hi. After saying hi to Rosenda, I ostensibly watched Reigan / Jinny / Eric / Matthew played a card game called either CHEAT or MICHAEL JACKSON. Apparently, the object of said game was to cheat... okay, then! Eventually, a bunch of the older kids (Priscilla / Hannah / Ian / Carley / Emily / Nina / others) just sat around and watched. When Sarah and Jason wanted to get the T&T clubbers to run over their presentation, I went downstairs to help Chrystal and Golden with the programs. As it turned out, Chrystal was busy with summer camp / early registration, so Golden and I stood by the sanctuary doors handing pink programs out. Someone gave me a commitment form for next year - I should remember that, for sure.

When the ceremony started, Golden and I sat down in the last row of the sanctuary. The Powerpoint was marred by technical difficulties, but otherwise was okay. Auntie Rebecca gave us stacks of coupons to hand out - when I got mine, I kept one for myself since she said the leaders could have one too. I went out to get my money back - I shouldn't have told Clara about it, but went to Christon instead. HE knows what I'm talking about, and doesn't have the language barrier! Went back in to watch some cute songs by the three clubs, the T&T Powerpoint presentation, and the general awards presentation. Some kids completed two or even three handbooks in the past year, and got really special awards for those achievements! There was a lot of general cheering when the leaders went to get their awards, and I noticed Sean S. really clapping for mine, haha - my friends did too, of course. Harrison (on the other end of our pew with his dad) wanted to see my pin, so I let him look. Golden wanted to know whether all the pins were different colors - well, I'm sure Awana has to recycle colors! I can't believe I've been doing this for about ten years! Conor's dad Minh congratulated me afterwards, so of course I thanked him. Chris also thanked me and Golden for our help!

After getting a stamp on my hand, I went out to join the carnival festivity, keeping my Awana uniform on. It was like the night market, with curry fishballs / noodles / spicy soup / chicken / more food and drinks outside, and some silent auction / clothing inside. Saw my mom inside, but of course didn't talk to her - saw my dad outside, but didn't really talk to him until he wanted to know if I had a ride home; yes, and Ada wasn't leaving right then in any event. I saw my grandma while I was interacting with Harrison - she insisted on buying me something, so the curry fishballs it was! Then she later treated me to fruit. She wasn't impressed when she saw Harrison punching me, so said "NO" to him - he didn't pay her any attention!

Saw Vivian, so I asked why she / Vicky / Carmen were so late yesterday. Apparently, they were at a once-a-year thing at Playland... at least they made it to Fellowship, but they wouldn't be counted on the attendance! Said hi to Pastor John, Kevin, Grace (good to get there early before the food is sold out!), Chris (Sabrina's coming back on Monday), Rich, Maxine, Tim, Sophia, Anne (enjoying a wiener), Cynthia, Colin, Auntie Catherine, Mattias (enjoying food as usual!), Reigan, Aaron (who asked me about my grandma), and some others. Sean asked me why I kept appearing around him and Conor, so I told him that I was following them, haha. Talked about chicken, orange sports drinks (took one home), NOT making Abby cry ("you moved away from your seat - it's not yours anymore!"), the fishballs, and more. John took me home - discussed his job loss, Facebook, connections, understanding Cantonese, planning a Hong Kong holiday, lots of family in town from Hong Kong for his mom's birthday on August 8, plenty of time to spend with family, and more.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home