Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Teaching conversation classes

Corey asked me for help just now:

[01:07:57] Corey: I need class ideas! :P they want me to sub at a class tomorrowmorrow night (Thursday :P, it's Tuesday now)
[01:07:58] Corey: they didn't tell me anything about it, though... like what level the students are, or what kind of material they're working on, or anything
[01:09:20] Flami: that's crazy! how do they expect you to generate these ideas? out of thin air? :P
[01:09:45] Corey: well, I emailed them to ask about that stuff
[01:11:06] Corey: but if you have any ideas for simple sentences they can use to make little conversations (like about past tense or future tense, or the difference between commonly confused words, or anything like that), spill it!

you're the one that's always playing word games and stuff :P
[01:11:21] Flami: oh, thanks :P
[01:15:57] Flami: Choosing The Correct Word
[01:17:03] Corey: oh look, she has grammar links handy :P how surprising!
[01:23:31] Flami: that's called "Googling 'commonly confused words' " :P
[01:24:02] Corey: I found this.. it's games and activities to use for adult classes
[01:24:30] Corey: I'm reading through that for now. if Jane was here, I could get some ideas from her probably. she's off at another company, so I can't talk to her right now :P
[01:27:25] Flami: hmm... interesting exercise, which would get them to communicate and reason
[01:29:08] Corey: if you mean the first idea in the thread, yes, but if this is the class I did my demo for (same night of the week... but I really don't know if that's the class they want me for), that's probably too complicated for them. for the advanced class I saw, that would be great
[01:31:13] Flami: that's also what I was thinking, based on what you've told me about the classes...
[01:33:47] Corey: I spent 30 minutes in my demo explaining ten vocabulary words / drawing a family tree (the vocab words were all family things... sibling, spouse, family member, relative) / etc...
[01:34:59] Corey: so just preparing them to even be able to talk about stuff takes up most of the class :P looks like most teachers get them to review the vocab words at home, so they can just come in and talk about it. you're also basically trying to keep them entertained and happy in class, not actually TEACHING them (of course they won't be happy if they don't think they're learning anything, but they go there after a long work day, and don't want to just sit and listen to a teacher teach)
[01:37:30] Flami: yeah, that makes sense
[01:38:52] Corey: it does... but that means I don't know what the hell to TEACH them :P I can't just go in there and say "soooo..... let's talk about.... stuff... for two hours. Who's first?"
[01:40:51] Flami: oh, of course not... that would show a distinct lack of planning
[01:49:25] Corey: it's really really humid here today, it's annoying :P
[01:56:02] Corey: she hasn't replied to me yet about the class
[01:58:05] Flami: when did you email her?
[01:58:41] Corey: it hasn't been too long, I was out until like 2 PM. it's 5 now
[01:59:28] Flami: not too bad, no...
[02:06:16] Flami: hey, the psychic detective show! after that, I'm seriously going to bed
[02:19:47] Corey: why not a psycho detective show? that might be more fun
[02:22:06] Flami: I don't think they have those
[02:29:10] Corey: well, Sin City sort of does
[02:30:30] Flami: I watched maybe 15 minutes of that
[02:33:59] Corey: read it, don't watch it :P it's basically the exact same as the comic, but less cool
[02:34:38] Corey: it's shot for shot / word for word identical to the comic, except the cool art style isn't there since it's real people, and they censored it in places
[02:34:51] Flami: oh, okay... the show is over, and they're onto paid programming - outta here to bed. night.
[02:34:55] Corey: so they're kind of the same thing... the movie was fairly boring to me since I already read the comic
[02:35:21] Corey: there are also more comics than what went into the movie, but the movie has a lot of the big ones
[02:36:16] Corey: the movie shouldn't be THAT identical... set up some shots to look like the comic, sure, but it's kind of boring when it's literally the same thing, down to the camera angles
[02:38:21] Corey: it's probably better than all the movies that change everything that was good about something, but they should provide something new too :P at least some new shots :P

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home