Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Stupid shit is going down in Taiwan Montessori schools!

Apparently, Corey is looking for more stuff to do in Taiwan:

[22:38:55] Corey: well, I have a cold and a job interview to teach stupid little kids stupid little shit where they probably want me to act like a clown or something.... the adult school that's a lot better than that is taking too fucking long to get my work visa and give me hours, so I'm looking for more things
[22:39:51] Corey: I have to do a demo with kindergarteners, which is illegal, but supposedly the actual job will be 6-10 year-olds, which is not illegal (6 is the legal age to meet foreign people here, apparently)
[22:40:10] Corey: I don't know how this shit will work... they apparently don't even know the whole alphabet yet
[22:40:53] Corey: and they refuse to give me materials to teach during the demo, and want me to prepare my own, which is fucking annoying. this place is a "Montessori" school, which is a fancy word for "retarded"
[22:40:57] Flami: ILLEGAL?! OH DEAR
[22:41:12] Corey: that style is to teach kids by letting kids choose what and if they want to learn
[22:41:17] Flami: from what I hear, Montessori schools let the kid explore whatever they want
[22:41:19] Corey: so the kids play games all day and don't learn shit
[22:41:39] Flami: yeah, that's about right
[22:41:51] Corey: if the kid is motivated to learn, that might be great. when I was that age, that really probably would have been better for me
[22:41:59] Corey: but...... for 99.9% of everyone else? hell, no
[22:42:21] Corey: and even for me even a couple years after that, no way! I'd play video games all day instead
[22:42:31] Flami: I know maybe ONE or two six-year-olds who are motivated to learn something... everyone else? nope. they want to play games or draw
[22:43:11] Corey: well, it's like communism.. it's kind of a good idea, but it doesn't really work since people ruin it really fast
[22:43:45] Flami: hahaha
[22:43:53] Corey: so we'll see.... sounds like a job babysitting little kids to me. I'd rather work harder teaching adults that will get something out of it
[22:46:22] Corey: this place is the school Jane's niece goes to, and it's also very very close to here.. I could ride a bike there easily, I think
[22:47:18] Corey: and I was very motivated as a 5-6 year-old, and school held me back... my parents tried to get me skipped ahead, but the principal said he didn't believe in that
[22:48:36] Corey: a lot of my friends then were older anyway, so it wouldn't have really been a big deal to be with older kids. so basically, I got pretty bored in class. they made some advanced math classes for me and a few other people after a while, but that was all they'd do to let us do better than everyone else
[22:49:23] Corey: I was reading stuff like Lord of the Rings in first grade when most of the other kids couldn't even read... and I was studying dinosaurs and astronomy and other things on my own... school was still trying to teach us how to count and read :P
[22:50:06] Corey: so a place that let me just go as far as I wanted with things would have been perfect for me... but they couldn't give me TOO much freedom, since it's still more fun to play and have fun than to do hard work
[22:50:23] Corey: that's the problem with those Montessori schools, they think it's wrong to push kids to learn
[22:51:00] Corey: I think it's wrong to push kids the way they do here in Taiwan, but it's not so bad at home :P they just need better programs for smart kids to pass up the normal idiots :P
[22:51:33] Flami: oh yeah, I was going to ask how riding the bike in the crazy traffic went :P
[22:53:12] Corey: actually, they did come up with IB, a program for smart kids, but they advertised it as being 4-5 hours of homework a night... so I said fuck no, I don't want to go to school all day and work all night too
[22:53:12] Corey: I haven't ridden it yet. I'll go out with Jane on the weekend and try it out some more
[22:55:00] Flami: AIYA. that much homework?! yikes... I'd decline, too
[22:55:31] Flami: they have IB here, too... my sister went through it (or was it her friends?) ... seemed like a lot of work and studying, at any rate
[22:58:03] Corey: they wanted me in that, but that's not the way to tell kids about it.... all they have to do is have classes with the same amount of work, but make the material more advanced if they can handle it
[22:58:49] Flami: that is certainly not the way to advertise it, no...


Edit: He came back, but didn't have much of a report on how things went...

[01:07:08] Corey: well, I went to the kids' school... I don't know if it went well or not since it was completely Chinese ;P Jane's parents did all the talking for me
[01:08:10] Flami: hahaha, nice :P
[01:11:52] Corey: I'm not really that interested in doing that, but that might be a more stable job with more hours... of course I still know nothing about the pay or the hours or anything, really
[01:12:43] Corey: and they have kindergarteners there, so maybe it's even illegal (it's a Catholic school actually, so I'd hope they have more morals than most around here, even though that's a weird religion :P)
[01:13:02] Flami: I'm guessing Jane's parents don't know enough English to tell you how things went...
[01:13:05] Corey: they told Jane it was 6-10 year-olds, but it sure looked like they worked with little kids with foreign teachers to me
[01:13:17] Corey: her dad does, but didn't tell me a lot
[01:13:26] Corey: Jane just called home to ask them about it
[01:14:31] Flami: so what did he say, or what did they tell Jane?
[01:15:06] Corey: Jane says that place will contact us later...
[01:15:53] Flami: sounds good
[01:18:04] Corey: I guess......... I can't say I'm terribly excited about this place now that I have a much better job dealing with adults, but we'll see...
[01:18:26] Corey: I tried to stay positive there, but I was mostly just waiting for them to quit talking so I could leave (I didn't understand anything anyway! :P)
[01:19:07] Flami: well, yeah...
[01:41:23] Corey: well, I have a lot of Chinese to listen to here... like during lunch and dinner and breakfast and everything else, every day :P I don't really like talking a lot, so it's sort of fine with me, though it would be nice to know what was going on more than I do now
[01:42:49] Flami: I totally understand

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home