Friday, February 12, 2010

Hidden objects / Being thoughtful / Presidential rings containing hair

Called Auntie Ying just now, and brought up all the Valentine's Day candy I'd bought for the kids. She said that was so nice and thoughtful of me, heh... actually, she forgot about Valentine's Day what with the Olympics and Chinese New Year! Told me about Uncle Peter being back tomorrow, witnessing, making friends with her neighbors, Melia wanting to get Chrystal in touch with something called Mercy Ministries (so she wants help with the right words to say - this religious organization seeks to help those with disorders), and how she had told Auntie Susan Lee about this. Oh sure, just tell everyone you know about it because you want prayer! I dunno... I'll think about Melia's dilemma for sure, now that I know... but I won't say anything to Melia about it.

She asked about the sweatpants, so I said that I'd just gotten a clothing alteration place to do it. Worth the $22 to not get my mom involved, for sure! (who might do it, but I don't want to be beholden to her for yet another thing) I went over the Sunday School lesson with her, and she wants to teach the kids HOSANNA - should be doable, as it is a lively song! Finding hidden objects in a picture is fun, and I remember doing that in HIGHLIGHTS magazine when I was little!

I told her about seeing the Olympic flame, and about the nearby free Olympics concerts - should be all good! Then she asked how much I'd spent, so I gave her a figure which was maybe a little high, but then $23 should cover the candy and cards quite nicely. She was like "Hmm... okay... I'll give you the money." Sounds fine to me - and I've already done Easter (except maybe for cards), so that will certainly save some money in a few weeks. Called a sleeping Steph just now, too - she got my voicemail message about Esther, she isn't going for dinner on Saturday, she's working on Sunday, and I'll see her on Monday. Thank goodness all the cards are signed!


Trivia fact for Friday, Feb. 12: What U.S. president wore a ring that contained some of Abraham Lincoln's hair? Theodore Roosevelt, at his inauguration in 1905. The ring was given to him for the occasion by John Jay, his secretary of state. As a young man, Jay had served as one of Lincoln's personal secretaries. He paid $100 for six strands of hair removed during Lincoln's autopsy.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home