Sunday, April 05, 2009

At least I don't have to deal with 4:30 AM fights THIS year!

This morning on the way to church, my brother and I discussed all the weird shootings that have been happening here and in the States lately: a long-term care home and an immigration centre... really?! Never mind the pizza place near the church, either... who knows why people have been so crazy in the past while! He asked if I was going to the Sunrise service, and I asked if he were going to the baptism service. I guess I'll go to Sunrise, and maybe baptism since my sibs will be there too. (and it IS an important event...) Told him to look on Craigslist for places to live, and he's been doing that to no avail - money and living space ARE factors!

Went to church early, and gave Hien her chocolate: she plans to make chocolate-covered strawberries, which is fine. Passed the time by bantering with Quan and Cordia, then listening to Priscilla recite some Bible verses to Emily. Emily had been to the morning service, which was different than ours - there were five singers instead of our two, and she couldn't read most of the Chinese, although she could understand most of it. Jon joked that she could tell the ushers next time that she was spying on the Chinese service! (she had to leave our service before it was done, so she thought she'd take in the morning one too... very early!) Saw Jeremy's dad who was spending Jeremy's "weekend" (Sunday to Tuesday) with him, so Jon spent time talking about the greatly-improved road conditions as compared to the LAST time he was here... no whiteout risk now, although there WAS some snow last week!

When I said hi to Natalie, I was reminded of the pens I was going to give her. Jeremy saw the two Ziploc bags, and asked me what was with all the pens: I didn't mind telling him at all. His dad joked that she would be taking a lot of notes - perhaps! Raymond squeezed in beside me, and we had to move down when Connie / Sheena / Jen showed up. He told me about long tests, and I told him about kids thinking that dying was a sin. I was going to ask about his finger, but I noticed that it was still standing out stiffly. One of the aunties (Uncle Stephen's wife?) complimented me on my spring / summer hat - I remember that Sonny liked it, too. (I said hi to him after service) Steph showed up with Jonathan, and passed me a bag of spicy chips she found in an Anaheim supermarket from her L.A. trip with Melissa: it was in Spanish, heh. Cindy passed me an invitation to Megan and Andy's wedding: interesting invite, at any rate. (too many weddings!)

Pastor John brought up passion in his pre-Easter sermon; Jen and I shared a dubious look (we KNOW that isn't what he means by Christ's Passion!), and Steph heard me half-snort from the pew ahead. No doubt she was explaining my weirdness to Jonathan after she turned around and gave me a few weird looks! Made a mental note to NOT wear the hat out to Communion Sundays again, or at least not next week. After service, I said hi to Helen and her sons Nicholas and Cory: Danny was at some car event in the States. Cory's so big and smiling now! Asked Helen for her diaper expertise: my mom had given me some that she picked up for free at Silvercity when she saw SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE: maybe Allison would fit them! (but I didn't see her today)

Nicholas just wanted some chips, so I had to tell Jonathan Chan (who did drums today) to move out of the way. I re-purposed some of the Dempster's bagel halves for the toddler Sunday School, which worked well since we had a bunch of kids, including Amos. (haven't seen him or his mom in months!) Little Amanda, on baby Mattias (Karen brought him in for a while): "When I'm bigger, I'm going to have a kid just like him!" Hahaha! Said hi to baby Gavin, and gave his sister Hannah a birthday card. Told Phil that HIS card was on my desk at home, although I did remember Johnny's card! Talked to Calla, Steph, and more people about kids' birthday parties, Vitamin D, the sun, next week, lots of weddings (some doubles!), flights, and more. Later, I found out that my brother's Regent convocation is at the Broadway Church in a couple of Mondays - good thing it isn't on the Wednesday of that week! Guess I'll go out sometime this week or next, and get a suitable card for it. (I'll miss JACK BAUER, but honestly: this is more important!)

After lunch at Mui's, my grandma and I were left waiting for Steph. She knitted, and I read more of the ANNE prequel. (up to the point where she's five or so... lots of babies!) Jon and I discussed Swedish Erik, the white man presumably still unwell (Steph thinks someone should call him to make sure he's still alive!), memory sticks, vespers, papers, concerts, and more. He slipped Lanie's wedding invitation into her bag when she was preoccupied with something else, haha. When Steph showed up, we discussed Matthew Good Band (HELLO TIME BOMB) / Semisonic (CLOSING TIME) / Everclear (WONDERFUL) / the Barenaked Ladies (ONE WEEK), the ug's convocation and time off for various events, scheduling, piano tuning which cost more than the instrument myself / Sudoku / thinking of others / lots of services / more. Citrus was back, so it was nice to see him too before he starts work tomorrow! His sister said that the grey ledge described Regina pretty well - HAHA, NICE!

I guess I'll be really tired next week, but the girls' baptism is important. Steph will just nap in the car between service and lunch, maybe. (going straight to Sunrise from work?! Oh my.) She's amazed that I'm going to Sunrise Service, like she is every year. I better change my sleep patterns or I will be SO SCREWED! Sunrise Service at 6:30-7 AM, regular service, lunch, and then probably baptism service at 2 PM... at least this year's won't involve someone picking a fight with me at 4:30 AM! Man, I hated that! ("Oh, we won't discuss that topic, but I'll argue with you about him anyway!" Ugh!) I'll also find someone to give the bear to... a kid? Who knows.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home