Sunday, March 29, 2009

Reminders of Costco and Peanuts

Saw Eric M. on MSN last night, and sent up a prayer for his sanity! Went to church this morning with Jon, Dad, and Grandma - I let Jon have a piece of Passion Berry Trident gum even if he thought that I was crazy. Talked about church stuff and a field trip to the Orthodox place. Once I got to the sanctuary, I talked to Karmie and her son Noah for a bit; also greeted Grace and others. Saw Raymond sit down behind me: he was the one who invited me to sit with him since he had to do something different this morning. Sure, why not? Talked about taxes, JACK BAUER, cosmetic physio for his finger, coverage, hamper stuff, and more... also exchanged dubious looks throughout service. Said hi to Jeremy, Michelle's niece Jenica, Uncle Peter, William, Hilary, and more people as well. Was distracted by baby Connor during the sermon, and I can't believe he's one year old already! I hugged Danielle in congratulations before she told Connor's sister Megan that she was her twin and that she had to call Danielle "Doctor" from now on, haha. All I did was ask Megan if she could count to thirty; she could, which makes her a smart almost-four-year-old!

After service, I talked to Andrew about THE POISONWOOD BIBLE and chocolate... then I talked to various people about cookies and the VERY fresh banana loaf on offer in the fellowship hall. Of course, little Joshua and Keenan went for the chips instead! I myself re-purposed a few of the cookies for toddler Sunday School, heh. Greeted Stella and Billy's baby son Noah, and heard that baby Mattias was sick today! A while later, Raymond and Andrea asked me separately if I needed a ride to the Orthodox church for the field trip - nope, since I had to go upstairs and help with the toddlers! That went well, and I now have Auntie Fonda's birthday in my database, haha. (only five days after mine)

I killed time downstairs by talking to Auntie Rebecca (gave her my criminal record check form), Christon, Louisa (in Gr. 7 already?!), Daniel, Phil, Grace, Cindy, Benedict, Vania (the flu sucks out all desire for chocolate), and various others. At least I looked after my grandma, even if she did disparage my Chinese ability to Auntie Kwai and her other friends AGAIN! Eventually, we went for lunch at Mui's with Susan's parents: I was amused that Uncle Ken kept saying the wrong things, at least according to Auntie Amy! (he was just saying things like how men were so different from women) She even made a "stop!" gesture with her hands, hahahaha.

They talked about Jon's wedding, seeing our new church, Susan's daughter Eden (interesting name...), menopause, the prostate, balding, pictures, grandchildren, testosterone, and more. It was a good thing I went to the washroom BEFORE leaving, since we went to Costco (that place is HUGE!) so Uncle Ken could show my dad some hair re-growth stuff; my mom ended up buying a bunch of meat, too. After that, my dad attempted to stop by Home Depot, but was foiled in his attempt to get a new stove element. My mom actually THANKED me for being patient (wow!), and then said she'd fix the loose stitches in my bling sweater, and get me some dumpling at Richmond Public Market... fine by me, I guess. The brief trip to the market reminded me of the countless cab trips I made to Peanuts (at the market food court) for strawberry-banana (or strawberry-blueberry) bubble tea last year. I think the first of those was probably around this time of year, too! Definitely remember the impatience I'd feel as time was very literally money that I'd have to pay, no matter if it were mine or someone else's! Finally got home at around 5, so it's a good thing there's no Sunday Dinner today... almost no time to fully catch up otherwise.


Interesting new Quizopolis name generator, especially since I was talking about Barbies with little Amanda and Margaret at Sunday School. (my sister and I were NEVER Barbie-lovers as little girls!) I have NO comment on this random result, though! :P

Leslie's Barbie Name is Alcoholic Barbie.

Taken from Natalie: Leslie took the What kind of historian are you? quiz and the result is Gender Historian. Learning about the past through facts and quantative data is all very well, but for you, like Catherine Hall, or Leonore Davidoff, the real stuff of history is to be found in relationships, and where better to start than the fundamental social relation: the battle of the sexes? Women have been written out of 'HIS-story' for centuries, and gender historians, following on from their polemicist predecessors, the feminist historians, attempt to balance the scales by stressing the importance of the relationship between the sexes, and how the one cannot be defined by the other. This is important work, but recently, many gender historians have taken a new direction in their work, choosing to embrace the tenets of post-structuralism in order to problematise the concept of gender as pre-set, choosing to present it instead as fluid and culturally defined. Have a look at the work of Judith Butler if you want to explore new concepts.

Taken from Jane: Leslie took the What should your parents have named you? quiz and the result is Annie. You are nice, caring, and you love being with your friends. Boys drool over you, and you are hot stuff. (Hot stuff?! HAHAHAHAHA!)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home