Friday, March 20, 2009

It's ironic that we're doing a dinner on 30-Hour Famine day...

Eric called to alert me that he was coming, so I was outside waiting for him at the specified time. We had a random car ride to church, and I showed him the Bridge Mixture, which he said he'd never seen before. He asked whether the assorted confectionery was just raisins, but I said that it was also nuts / orange / mint flavors. While we were crossing the street to go to church, he started eating a banana which he hadn't eaten all day. That made me hungry for some reason! Once we were directed to the chapel, I saw Nathan / Cordia / Quan / Jeremy having worship practice. (the fellowship hall was being taken over by the guys in my Fellowship - Martin told me not to peek, heh) Respecting the rule of no food or drinks in the chapel, I took my Bridge Mixture outside to eat... I accidentally ate some of it in front of the teens who were there for the 30-Hour Famine, oops!

Greeted Hien, Mike T., Emily C., Jonathan, Stanley (who was entertained by someone wanting to go out into the cold), Bob, and others. When I got back from the bathroom, Jeremy hailed me from the drums and wanted to know whether "sanctuary" and "sanction" came from the same root. Interesting question, which I said I'd look up when I got home! Eric wanted to know if the same applied to "sanctify" and "sanctuary" - quite possibly! Talked to Mike about tiredness and doing the famine with the kids - I'd seen Jonathan's wall comment to Olivia about stuffing himself with all kinds of food prior to midnight! Got a nice little preview of Sunday's worship service, which was cool. Saw Jon with his new glasses, which do indeed make him look like a Honger, haha.

After about half an hour or so during which someone brought in ROCK BAND, I went outside the fellowship hall to talk to Andrea, Isabel, Sheena, and others about interestingly intense people and field trips. We went inside the fellowship hall later to exclaim over the tablecloths and candles, but we went outside again to do last-minute placemat signing... I also looked over a letter at Lesley's request. (Jen did it later with my pen, but I didn't mind) The guys served us minestrone soup after Calla reflected on the irony of our having a dinner on the same night as the famine. (and jokingly called me mean when I told both Eric and Dylan to go away!) We also had ham, sirloin steak, salad, pita with homemade hummus, and more. It was great, and we thanked the guys a lot. Poor Cindy was allergic to the flower arrangements, and felt bad about asking people to take them away. It happens! (my brother dropped in to see what was going on, and explained his freak accident as his being like Erin for once...)

Talked to Andrea about our plans tomorrow: she preferred to think about stuff like dropping off her brother Sherman at the airport, which I respected even though I wanted to get things done right away. Eventually, she said she'd call me at noon tomorrow, which is fine by me - at least we'll finally get to hang out and maybe walk a little, too! I applied the lesson I learned at Dragon Ball, and tapped Raymond on the shoulder before talking to him; I then had to explain what happened in JACK BAUER since he missed it on Monday. (I'm watching for TWO people now? What?!) I hope he got the gist of what I was talking about, especially since he missed half the episode two weeks ago!

The guys also gave out individual cards to the distaff after we gave them the placemats (Nathan loved himself as a woman!), and I was surprised when Randal tapped me on the shoulder (as I was listening to Christon and Nathan discuss Sunday's food) and gave me one. I had to thank him, of course. Discussed Facebook, the Olympics, events, wall snark ("you can write WHATEVER you want on my wall!"), my sister's work, and other things with Janette and Richie later on. Seized the opportunity to grab some leftover skewers later: following Lesley's example, I forked the fishballs / peppers / mushrooms / meat from each skewer onto the aluminum foil. Calla asked why I didn't just wrap the skewers, but I thought they might poke through the wrap. Got Eric to hold mine for a minute while I made sure I had room for it in my knapsack, heh. (Phil and Grace dropped in separately, despite also doing the 30-Hour Famine)

Cindy and Dianne left to go provide translation services for their parents and the neighbors. Talked to Raymond some more about the Sunday Dinner (he'll probably go), work, overhearing someone's home address in a personal call, and things you'd rather NOT say to your boss' boss! ("I know your daughter [as does Terry], and she looks like you!" "Are you saying she's FAT?!") Also teased Johnny about the REAL reason why he isn't going to the Sunday Dinner: I know that he just wants to avoid the Magic Bra gag birthday gift, even if he claims that his Ontario friend is visiting him! He does know me and my siblings, so we can burn him all we want! Hahaha.

After that, Eric and I went out and asked Tony where my brother was. He pointed upstairs, so Eric followed. I remained downstairs to hang out by the staircase and talked to Janette's sister Andrea, Richie (trying to give away three bags of buns), a tired Sarah, Sonya, Ivan, and others. Richie tried giving the buns to me since my sister might be hungry: nice try, but I don't live with her! (no, I didn't expect him to necessarily know that) Jon eventually came downstairs, and looked at Nathan's and Eric's placemats, showing Nathan's to Lucas and others.

Dylan found a tinfoil pan with some mushrooms in it by the door - weird! Melia told Jon that learning to live with someone was challenging; Angus just told him that he farts on Melia's clothes left on chairs and couches! Had an interesting ride home: for some reason, Jon talked to Harmony about Barbies! Eric attempted to keep me entertained with WOW talk of hordes and alliances, which didn't really work. Also discussed interesting stuff, haha. Good times!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home