Friday, March 16, 2007

You shout in your sleep?! / Mrs. Fields Cashew and Coconut Cookies

When Eric picked me up, he insisted on throwing out my garbage bag for me: it was very light, so I could have done it myself! Oh well, it was nice of him to do so. (and I forgot one particular item, too!) We spent most of the ride to church discussing a certain subject which I won't get into here. Let's just say that I don't know if moving is a good thing to do. He then wondered if I had given him a death threat right before I hung up the phone: nope, you must be hearing things! Sure, you'll probably deserve at LEAST one during the course of the evening, but saying "I'm here now.. you coming?" is hardly worthy of such! Then he told me that weirdness was a continual state of being, so I was always weird... yeah yeah, whatever! After grumbling about traffic, he tried annoying me by singing some weird song from a movie in a bizarre accent: he'd stop when I guessed the movie it was from. ("Donkey" and SHREK!) I made him interrupt the flow a couple of times by exclaiming over the 109.9 gas price / saying that a traffic light turned red right when we coasted through an intersection / breaking out my weird indiscernible accent. (it's not Australian, and it sure as heck ain't British!)

We parked in back of the church and let people block us since we'd be leaving late as usual. Once he opened the door for me, we went downstairs where he engaged in some interesting behavior: if you're going to do that, at least clear the way so I can sit beside you and another person who's reading a newspaper so his attention's distracted! After exchanging words under our breath, I sighed and put my stuff down on the floor. Randal thanked me for the dinner invite (I should say 6:30 is the absolute latest, not 7... but if he can eat in an hour, all the more power to him!), and discussed whether Jack Bauer would go cannibal on us if we tried eating him - oh, most probably! Talked to Dawn about how we thought we'd probably die before we saw my grandma's current age: 87 probably isn't going to be our lifespan! Maybe we'll die while doing whatever we do in the middle of living, or while eating a steak at a big celebration! No idea what Randal thought of the discussion, but it naturally came up while discussing my weekend plans which possibly include my grandma's birthday dinner. (I'd say we're not morbid, but that's a lie when it comes to me at least, and he knows it!)

Jon passed by, eating something out of a bowl - ah, the days of a quick dinner! The refreshments provided by Frances' Bible Study group were all Japanese: Lesley ate almost all of the Japanese soybeans - they WERE good! I had some sushi, but didn't really want any rice crackers... go figure. Karen offered to get me some more stuff, but I ended up not taking any during the talk. That reminds me - I *still* have her husband Ivan's birthday card! Ugh, maybe on Sunday since tomorrow might not be a good time? Haha. Talked to Dylan, Lesley, and Connie about our fellowship and how it could be improved - good ideas there. Later, Billy had some psychology surveys for us to do on our personality and cellphones: Henry told him that nobody cared about his leading statements, and just to get to the point. I gather that's something he has to tell him quite frequently, haha. Later, I greeted Jeremy briefly - seems he accomplished a lot this week at work, so yay for that! Stanley was being "insane" (his word) when he tried kicking us out 20 minutes early, haha. (Vivian concurred)

Went upstairs and talked to Andrea and Danielle for a while: Chuck's coming here long-term in June or July... he and Andrea don't have to deal with any distance issues! I told her that they won't have to worry about time zones anymore if they wanted to tell the other something, and she thinks it'll be a huge adjustment: probably, but at least they'll be in the same city! Steph was bugging Cordia about being dainty, which is what Danielle's teaching her to be - no room for being dainty if you're going to move tables around to prepare for a wedding reception! Luckily for her sweat issues, the guys will be doing that. She's not going to complain about it being early at 8 or 8:30 since we're right in Richmond anyhow, and it's a bit easier than Citrus' trip from PoCo! Steph told him that her wedding will be in Richmond, so he joked that his would be in PoCo - NOOOOO!

In the car, we discussed a certain subject - I don't know about these suggestions, but at least they give my life some spice? Steph said that her co-worker gave her a game plan to shop for a dress: hey, guys can just put on a nice suit and tie outfit... but us girls have to put in a little more effort! We'll bring out the glamor at night, possibly! I mentioned that "detailed itinerary" email that Mom had sent - Steph was also very surprised that Mom managed to use "no worries" correctly, and was like "Where the heck did she pick that up from?!" (not us!) Melissa had emailed Steph about Alan and Liz getting engaged a couple of days ago - Steph's new dress will suffice for Chung's wedding, an overnight trip for a co-worker's wedding, Phil's wedding, and her first Toronto wedding! Everyone in my siblings' sets of friends seems to be getting married / engaged these days - it's that life stage! Two or three years from now - the BABY BOOM!

Jon got on the phone with Harmony, and kinda introduced her gently to the Booty Logo: I sorta have an animated version of that - the Olympic pooping icon, which Eric has seen before! Someone brought up Viva Java - the owner has character, all right! Discounts for coffee and free stuff when Mom comes in, slightly less when Steph comes in, only a little when Dad comes in, none when Jon comes in - it was hilarious when Jon wandered in with Dallas once, haha. Steph says that our parents went in together once, and got almost no discount! It would be hilarious if Jon goes in with Harmony sometime: "This is your girlfriend? Eh, he's no good - I see his family all the time!" Danielle is sleeping over at Citrus' place, and shares a room with Cordia when she does so: the only problem is that Cordia SHOUTS in her sleep, and doesn't remember it afterwards! As Eric said, that must have been FUN the first time! It's not like you can understand her - it's kinda like tongues and like she's having a conversation, and Joyce confirms it. Must be extra nice when she sleeps over during the week and Cordia's in residence then!


Mrs. Fields Cashew and Coconut Cookies

Categories: Cookies
Yield: 30 servings

2 1/4 cups Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
1/4 teaspoon Salt
3/4 cup Light brown sugar
1/2 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Butter; softened
2 large Eggs
2 teaspoons Vanilla
1/2 cup Sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup Chopped raw cashews;
-unsalted
1 cup Chopped dates
1/4 cups Sweetened shredded coconut
Reserved for topping

Preheat oven to 300°F. In a medium bowl... combine flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well with a wire whisk and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine sugars with an electric mixer at medium speed. Add butter and mix to form a grainy paste. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat until smooth. Add flour mixture, coconut, cashews, and dates. Blend at low speed just until combined. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Sprinkle tops lightly with reserved coconut. Bake for 23-25 minutes or until bottoms turn golden brown. With a spatula, transfer to a cool, flat surface.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,