Thursday, March 15, 2007

Dead men in rum / Mrs. Fields Carrot Fruit Jumbles

Today's Special-Tasting Yet Truly Morbid Fact!

Hungarian builders who drank their way to the bottom of a huge barrel of rum while renovating a house got a nasty surprise when a pickled corpse tumbled out of the empty barrel. According to the Hungarian online magazine Zsaru, workers in Szeged in the south of Hungary tried to move the barrel after they had drained it, only to find it was surprisingly heavy and were shocked when the body of a naked man fell out. The website said that the body of the man had been shipped back from Jamaica 20 years ago by his wife in the barrel of rum in order to avoid the cost and paperwork of an official return. According to the website, workers said the rum in the 300-litre barrel had a "special taste" so they even decanted a few bottles of the liquor to take home. The wife has since died and the man was buried in a proper grave.

Culled from: Reuters
Generously submitted by: Joseph

**********************************************************************

I guess we know what "Dead Man's Rum" is now, eh?

*******

Wretched Recommendations!

Fiona has a film recommendation:

Wolf Creek (2005)

"A good film to watch is Wolf Creek. It's an Aussie movie, but fantastic."

Here's the synopsis:

"Just when you thought it was safe to go hiking in the bushes again... along comes Mick Taylor. Kristy, Ben, and Liz are three pals in their twenties who set out to hike through the scenic Wolf Creek National Park in the Australian Outback. The trouble begins when they get back only to find that their car won't start. The trio think they have a way out when they run into a local bushman named Mick Taylor. Wait until you get a load of what Mick has in store for them. Their troubles have just begun."

*******

"My Brush With Morbidity" by Rafid

"I was 19 when I was in a drug rehab for a heroin addiction. We had this guy O.D. in the bathroom, and although the nurses tried to revive him, he died at the scene.

"It took the ambulance like 15 minutes to come and get him. They obviously had been made aware that they were just picking up a corpse, and took their time. I was able to get a good glimpse of his body for about 4 or 5 good minutes. I marveled at it. I remember the nice dark place that he was now in, and I looked into his dead eyes. I wanted to be there with him. They left the needle in his arm when they took him away.

"For some reason, the officials forgot to remove his shoes from the bathroom. They stayed in there for about 2 days, and I could not stand it any longer. They were a little tight on me, but I got them to fit my feet without socks. I wore them around in the drug rehab for the rest of the time. People noticed, but didn't care. I was in heaven. I wore them everywhere, and walked with a new confidence that I carried part of his dead soul with me.

"Those shoes were also cursed. Whilst visiting my grandmother in Maryland a few years later, I was still wearing my shoes of doom. My aunt 'Pat' (alias) got to them, and threw them in the trash compactor because after I bragged about them to my family, it creeped her out.

"3 MONTHS LATER, she was herself found dead at home, lying in her bed. She had KILLED HERSELF with 10 Oxycontin patches on her body! Coincidence???? I don't think so. Since then, my life has been full of darkness and negative empowerment, and I am now proud of it. If heaven is full of religious bureaucrats, politicians, and right-wingers... I think I would rather go to Hell, and I would not mind going there now. In fact, I've always had this feeling that I will go there when I die. I've always believed that."


Mrs. Fields Carrot Fruit Jumbles

Categories: Cookies
Yield: 48 servings

2 1/2 cups Flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Ground cloves
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Quick oats (not instant)
3/4 cup Dark brown sugar; packed
3/4 cup Sugar
1 cup Butter; softened
2 large Eggs
2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
2 cups Grated carrots (2-3 medium Carrots)
1/2 cup Crushed pineapple; drained
1 cup Chopped walnuts (4 oz)

Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl... combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cloves, cinnamon, salt and oats. Mix well with a wire whisk and set aside. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, blend sugars. Add butter and mix to form a grainy paste. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add eggs and vanilla and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add carrots, pineapple and nuts, and blend until combined. Batter will appear lumpy. Add flour mixture and blend at low speed until just combined. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets, 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake 13-15 minutes, taking care not to brown cookies. Immediately transfer cookies with a spatula to a cool, flat surface.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home