Monday, March 05, 2007

2001 days since 9/11, 420 pounds, redrum dynamics and 24, morbid facts

It has been 2001 days since 9/11. Eerie as heck! o_O

I was reading some online news story about a 420-pound woman who didn't know she was pregnant until the baby was born. Far be it from me to say that obese people don't deserve love or whatever, but I'm not honestly sure how anyone can find people of that weight attractive. Who knows, maybe the father of the baby is even heavier... I know people have different preferences and everything, but it's not fathomable to me personally. (at least I'm not a pansexual? heh)

Told Steph that I wasn't going over to watch 24, but she told me to come anyway. I DON'T THINK SO! There are some times that I don't feel like doing anything - that goes double for the first day (and more) of this redrum cycle! I'll stay home and finally enjoy (?) my Finnish chocolate bar and salmiakki licorice, thanks! She says Eric isn't coming over either, since he has a committee meeting. Dreaded things, really... at least this one won't last till 12:30 AM when certain people have to work tomorrow! Good thing he can get his parents to record the show for him, and he better not be joking about seeing the episode behind his eyeballs when he sleeps at night like he did the last time this happened!

Damn, I wish the scoreboard would email me the answers my friends got wrong on that quiz. Just like the QuizYourFriends test, it would have been amusing! Hehe. Oh well, Chrissy and John have taken it already. Whoops, I accidentally made Corey ten years older on some other post... haha.


EDIT: Eric just emailed me and Steph. "Tonight's Committee Meeting has been canceled due to Karen feeling tired after her trip, and me not feeling well. In order to protect you from any potential season 3 biological warfare, I will be watching Jack from the quarantine of my house. We rescheduled the meeting for next Monday, so I will not be there next week either, unless a miracle happens and we finish the meeting in 50-55 minutes. Lucky Leslie will be spared some ridicule, I suppose." Then he says that Steph has to bring up some "cute" event that happened at Resonate... aiya! It was amusing up to that point. I'll have to get him over the reflexive, and explain things. (Steph emailed back to say that it would just be her and Mom, since I wasn't coming either!)


Today's Criminal Yet Truly Morbid Fact!

In San Francisco in 1868, a criminal youth gang emerged that specialized in public riots against the Chinese. These vicious criminals were called Hoodlums, from their habit of warning "Huddle 'em!" when in danger. Their attacks led to indiscriminate violence against the immigrants. The memberships of many of the early hoodlum gangs included girls, and several were captained by maladjusted representatives of the so-called gentler sex. Curiously enough, or perhaps not so curiously, these girls were almost invariably more ferocious than their male companions, and their fertile minds devised most of the unpleasant methods of torture which the hoodlums employed upon their victims.

One feminine rowdy who flourished during the latter part of 1878 was a thirteen-year-old girl known as Little Dick, who led a gang of more than twenty boys of about the same age. She was finally sent to a corrective institution after she had stolen a hundred revolvers from a gun-shop, distributed some among her followers, and sold the remainder on the Barbary Coast. She said frankly that she found her greatest delight in throwing red pepper into a Chinaman's eyes or in hanging him up by his queue. A typical exploit of the hoodlums occurred during the summer of 1868, when a score of youthful rowdies captured a Chinese crab-catcher and dragged him beneath a wharf. There they robbed him, beat him with a hickory club, branded him in a dozen places with hot irons, and then slit his ears and tongue. "There was apparently no other motive for this atrocity," said the San Francisco Times of July 30, 1868, "than the brutal instincts of the young ruffians who perpetrated it. Such boys are constantly hanging about our wharves eager to glut their cruelty upon any Chinaman who may pass."

Culled from: San Francisco History

**********************************************************************

Ruthless Rhyme Du Jour!

I've been reading Ruthless Rhymes for Heartless Homes and More Ruthless Rhymes by Harry Graham, a collection of hysterical poems originally published in 1899, and I thought I'd share with you some of my favorites.

WINTER SPORTS

The ice upon our pond's so thin
That poor Mamma has fallen in!
We cannot reach her from the shore
Until the surface freezes more.
Ah me, my heart grows weary waiting --
Besides, I want to have some skating.

Ruthless Rhymes For Heartless Homes

*******

Morbid Merchandise!

You'll no doubt be captivated to hear that the Comtesse has designed another MFDJ T-shirt: this one with the ageless theme of "Desensitize Yourself!" As always, the shirt is available from Jen at Juror2.Net, and all of the Comtesse's profits will be used to support the website and mailing list. So, if you'd like a stylish way to show your support for the MFDJ, why not take a gander?

*******

Morbid Mirth Du Jour!

Ken sends me a great clip of a "European Candid Camera type show where they use a video editor to make it look like the Grim Reaper is standing right behind people. When they look back, there's an old man with a scythe who winks at them. The expressions on their faces is priceless." Enjoy!

*******

Ghastly!

St. Sepulchre's Belle sent me a link to an absolutely appalling story of "honor" killing in rural Turkey, complete with a photograph of a woman being buried in preparation for a stoning execution. Furious doesn't even begin to describe my reaction.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home